PDA

View Full Version : Pick Up Programming

nebu
April 30th, 2008, 09:26 AM
I wanted to learn a language in which GUI interfaces can be easily built.....

Could you guys point me in the right direction....

I was thinking on the lines of python with glade or java:):)

pedro_orange
April 30th, 2008, 09:43 AM
I recommend ADA.

Total breeze.

Or you could see the stickies in this forum :)
Loads of info plus how to get started etc

samjh
April 30th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Python + Glade is pretty simple, IF you already know Python and Glade. :)

Java with Netbeans IDE is very easy too. Netbeans is a lot like working with the form editors in Visual Studio. It's as easy as GUI design gets.

However, keep in mind that to program GUIs, you have to know the language and the library first. :)

I recommend ADA. Although I'm a keen Ada programmer, I wouldn't say Ada is easy for GUIs. I haven't tried GtkAda or Ada + Glade (the GTK Glade, not Ada Glade), so my knowledge is admittedly limited in that area.

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I wanted to learn a language in which GUI interfaces can be easily built.....

Could you guys point me in the right direction....

I was thinking on the lines of python with glade or java:):)

I just added a link in the sticky I think on GUI's. Tcl is the easiest language to build GUI's in I would say. GTK and QT also make it easy for languages that support them. (There are many)

For the easiest GUI creation, EasyGUI with Python.

pedro_orange
April 30th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Although I'm a keen Ada programmer, I wouldn't say Ada is easy for GUIs. I haven't tried GtkAda or Ada + Glade (the GTK Glade, not Ada Glade), so my knowledge is admittedly limited in that area.

I was joking :)
I just know ADA is a massive language that no one can really claim to "know it all"

That is the depth of my knowledge regarding ADA

TibetHiker
April 30th, 2008, 11:10 AM
How about C# + Mono?

samjh
April 30th, 2008, 12:50 PM
How about C# + Mono?

I'd forgotten about that. C# and Monodevelop makes for very easy GUIs. :)

I was joking
I just know ADA is a massive language that no one can really claim to "know it all"

That is the depth of my knowledge regarding ADA Ah, I should have known. ;)

Ada isn't more massive than languages like C, Java, Pascal, etc. But it has a very comprehensive standard library. The GNAT libraries make it even bigger. The language itself is simpler than Pascal in my experience, but requires much more thought.

GoCool
April 30th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I'd forgotten about that. C# and Monodevelop makes for very easy GUIs. :)

A noob question...does C# work in Linux? How to load it? How do you configure in Ubuntu? Which repository contains it? What is "mono"? What IDE to use?

...sorry for asking all these question, I am a C# programmer and I thought it wont work in linux. Any advise on this would be highly appreciated.

LaRoza
April 30th, 2008, 06:06 PM
A noob question...does C# work in Linux? How to load it? How do you configure in Ubuntu? Which repository contains it? What is "mono"? What IDE to use?

...sorry for asking all these question, I am a C# programmer and I thought it wont work in linux. Any advise on this would be highly appreciated.

C# does work, however, it is the ECMA-334 standard that is followed. Monodevelop
is the common IDE used, but the compiler is mcs and can be used from the command line.

You can use any editor you want. IDE's are not tied to closely to languages as in the MS world.

http://linux.die.net/man/1/mcs