PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble installing 8.04 as Guest on 7.10 w/ VMware 1.0.5

mvip
April 30th, 2008, 01:49 AM
I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced trouble with installing Ubuntu 8.04 [Alternative / LTSP] as guest under VMWare 1.0.5. I've tried to run the installation twice and both times it seems to freeze about halfway through the installation (not at the same place though). I don't have any log files at hand, but I'm just curious if this is just my setup or a common problem.

Gorante
April 30th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I've just installed some jeos 8.04 as guest (over vmware 1.0.5 running on a 8.04 server) and i've got some problems with vmware tools, but nothing that can't be sorted out.

No freeze during install here anyhows.

mctozzy
May 3rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
I've seen this happen installing under VMServer 2.0 beta2 as well. But if you wait long enough, it eventually continues.

There are a few steps to getting the tools stuff working properly though. You have to install gcc and a couple of other things to get it all compiled/working.

DapperDanMan
May 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
I am having the same problem. Whenever a new kernel is released, VMServer is broken. Last time it was about a month after I updated that I got VM server to install. I'm going to check VMware forums to see if I can find a date for a fix.

DapperDanMan
May 3rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
I found the following at a vmserver forum
http://www.bauer-power.net/2008/04/installing-vmware-server-on-ubuntu-804.html

Go there and follow the instructions. I am running vmserver 1.05 as we speak. I am a Linux man all the way but unfortunately I have to connect into my work place (that is why I need vmserver). I have never gotten the Cisco Linux client to work. If someone could tell me how to get the Cisco Linux client to work, I would not need vmserver :)