PDA

View Full Version : Orca crashes. I can't get it to run, even after complete removal/reinstall.

diablo75
April 30th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Hello. I am trying to help a friend who is blind with trying Ubuntu out for the first time. I don't have much hands on experience about Orca, but I didn't think it would be that hard to configure.

So I went into the Assistive technoligies menu, and enabled Orca to run at startup. It worked after logging out, and logging back in, but it locked up about a minute after the Orca configuration panel came up with the voice in the background.

I've tried to do a complete removal of it via synaptic and then reinstall it, but it still doesn't run. When I run "orca" from terminal, here's the output I get:

jon@jon-laptop:~$ orca
Orca watchdog detected something bad. Cleaning up.
/usr/bin/orca: line 84: 6662 Killed /usr/bin/python -c "import orca.orca; orca.orca.main()" "$ARGS"
jon@jon-laptop:~$

This computer is a fresh install of 8.04 LTS, by the way.

What should I do to fix this?

RCC2k7
May 1st, 2008, 05:14 PM
I doesn't crash for me, but it locks up upon startup for almost a minute before being usable.

diablo75
May 1st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Does anybody know how to fix this? It seems pretty baffling that Orca, the default screen reader for 8.04 LTS, doesn't work even after a complete removal and re-install...

stormdragon2976
June 16th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Hi,
I haven't had the particular problem you have but I think I may know how to fix it. When I use Orca for the first time, I have to do alt-f2 and type orca. I need it to be working in order to access the preferences menu to set it to start when I log in. So, I wonder if when you set it to start automatically before actually using it if it bypassed the set up for it. It shouldn't have I don't think, but stranger things have happened. So, you could try:
alt-f2
orca -t
This will cause Orca to start with the text version of setup. It should ask you to pick a language, keyboard layout, etc. If that works, then you could set it to start at log in if you want.
there are a couple of things I have noticed in 8.04 that I don't think were there in 7.10. The first is any webpage that plays audio or video will freeze your computer if you have flash installed. If you are using Gnash it will work fine until you click on a link to move to a new page, then it freezes up the computer. It used not to do that but I think an update didn't agree with it or something.
the other problem is Orca will sometimes go silent. It's unpredictable when this will happen. It just stops working for no apparent reason. When it does, alt-f2 orca will get it going again.
HTH
Storm
Does anybody know how to fix this? It seems pretty baffling that Orca, the default screen reader for 8.04 LTS, doesn't work even after a complete removal and re-install...

DouglasAWh
June 26th, 2008, 03:22 AM
It shouldn't have I don't think, but stranger things have happened. So, you could try:
alt-f2
orca -t
This will cause Orca to start with the text version of setup. It should ask you to pick a language, keyboard layout, etc. If that works, then you could set it to start at log in if you want.

I'm confused to. Here's what's going on with mine

wh@laptop:~$ orca
Welcome to Orca setup.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/orca/gnomespeechfactory.py", line 846, in __speak
return speaker.say(text)
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/orca/gnomespeechfactory.py", line 106, in say
return self.gnome_speaker.say(text)
COMM_FAILURE

Restarting speech...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/orca/orca.py", line 996, in _showPreferencesConsole
module.showPreferencesUI(_commandLineSettings)
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/orca/orca_console_prefs.py", line 437, in showPreferencesUI
(not setupSpeech(prefsDict)):
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/orca/orca_console_prefs.py", line 237, in setupSpeech
speechServerChoice) # server
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/orca/orca_console_prefs.py", line 106, in sayAndPrint
speechServer.speak(text, voice)
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/orca/gnomespeechfactory.py", line 873, in speak
self.__speak(text, acss, interrupt)
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/orca/gnomespeechfactory.py", line 853, in __speak
self.reset()
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/orca/gnomespeechfactory.py", line 1068, in reset
self.shutdown()
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/orca/gnomespeechfactory.py", line 1043, in shutdown
speaker.stop()
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/orca/gnomespeechfactory.py", line 109, in stop
self.gnome_speaker.stop()
COMM_FAILURE

Thankfully, I don't NEED this functionality...I can only imagine trying to get something like this to work if you were blind...

stormdragon2976
June 26th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Hi,
If you have the time, maybe run
code:
ubuntu-bug -p gnome-orca
and file a bug with that. Would help the Orca developers correct the errors. I just reported 2 bugs earlier this week and I think I may have found another one.
Thanks

DouglasAWh
June 26th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Hi,
If you have the time, maybe run
code:
ubuntu-bug -p gnome-orca
and file a bug with that. Would help the Orca developers correct the errors. I just reported 2 bugs earlier this week and I think I may have found another one.
Thanks

Should it tell me when it's done, or just move on to the next line?

stormdragon2976
June 26th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Hi,
It should open Firefox to the launchpad page for reporting bugs in Ubuntu with some info already filled in, like package name. It will also attach a .txt file that should help them debug it.

DouglasAWh
June 26th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Hi,
It should open Firefox to the launchpad page for reporting bugs in Ubuntu with some info already filled in, like package name. It will also attach a .txt file that should help them debug it.

oh, didn't do that. Just brought up this box saying it was gathering information and went away...unless I accidentally closed the window or tab

strange_cathect
June 30th, 2008, 02:31 AM
I can confirm this problem. Orca "browns out" when I open it. My only choice is to try to close it. Then I'm told that it is "not responding."

cheesphht
October 24th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Same here - brown out. Tried running various ideas up there but all it ever says in the terminal is "Welcome to Orca setup" and that's all.

Has anyone ever found out about this problemo?

the magnifier comes in real handy for me

JohnCarcinogen
March 24th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I had a similar problem - by any chance do you run a firewall app?

In my case, I looked for a bug. It seemed to be one, but couldn't fix it.
So I turned to process of elimination - kill small apps until I found one that may or may not conflict with Orca and....WAAALAAA! I found out that Firestarter (my firewall tool) was causing Orca to hang.

Try killing one small app at a time - a clock app (I run one), a weather app, etc. And keep trying Orca after stopping those apps one at a time.
Hopefully, you'll find it.
That's how I found my solution, anyway.

After I exited/killed firestarter, Orca went back to normal.

Since I don't use Orca, this really isn't a problem - but I'd like to see if I can find a firewall app that doesn't conflict with Orca.

Hope this helps!