PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] no boot ibook g4 8.04

zeus123
April 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Ive just installed xubuntu 8.04 on my ibook g4.

When I boot I get a blank screen after yaboot. I had this on xubuntu 7.10 but after following these steps the problem was resolved......
"Fire up the terminal and edit /media/disk/etc/yaboot.conf, adding the nosplash and video=ofonly arguments to each of the boot image entries. After saving and exiting, run sudo ybin --config /media/disk/etc/yaboot.conf -v to apply the changes you just made. Next add ide-core to /media/disk/etc/initramfs-tools/modules and run sudo update-initramfs -u /media/disk/etc/initramfs-tools/modules. "

So I booted up from a live cd to do the same as I did with 7.10. But I cant take the same steps because my hdd doesnt show up when im running from a live cd.

Is there any way around reinstalling 7.10 and updating to 8.04?

Many thanks
Rik

toyota_f1
April 29th, 2008, 07:08 PM
have you tried just doing the

live video=ofonly

at yaboot prompt?

When I boot the 8.04 xubuntu daily on my g3 after this point it takes a while, at least 5 minutes of blank screen and then eventually hits the desktop.

avtolle
April 29th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I don't know if this will be of any help, but this is what I did to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for my g4 Cube to get around the blank screen on boot (kept getting the error message that no screen is open, as I recall). HTH.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=772808

stream303
April 29th, 2008, 09:10 PM
And with Hardy 8.04, I'm pretty sure you won't need to manually add ide-core - I think that issue has been resolved.

(Update - Yup, I blew it - I just reread your message and see that you are having problems with the hard disk in the first place. Ok, keep the following as a back-burner note. :) )

So like toyota_f1 said, at the second-stage of the yaboot boot: prompt, just hit -tab- to stop the countdown, and issue

live video=ofonly

If that brings up the system, you can then make that setting permanent in /media/disk/etc/yaboot.conf by adding video=ofonly in your append= lines

sudo nano -w /media/disk/etc/yaboot.conf

edit your append line to look something like this:

image=/boot/vmlinux
label=Linux
read-only
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="video=ofonly"

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
label=old
read-only
initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
append="video=ofonly"

And then perform ybin on it to let the system know of the change:

sudo ybin -v -C /media/disk/etc/yaboot.conf

Now that I've opened my big mouth, I wonder if using nosplash instead of video=ofonly might be a better option.. :)

avtolle
April 29th, 2008, 10:18 PM
And with Hardy 8.04, I'm pretty sure you won't need to manually add ide-core - I think that issue has been resolved.

(Update - Yup, I blew it - I just reread your message and see that you are having problems with the hard disk in the first place. Ok, keep the following as a back-burner note. :) )

So like toyota_f1 said, at the second-stage of the yaboot boot: prompt, just hit -tab- to stop the countdown, and issue

live video=ofonly

If that brings up the system, you can then make that setting permanent in /media/disk/etc/yaboot.conf by adding video=ofonly in your append= lines

sudo nano -w /media/disk/etc/yaboot.conf

edit your append line to look something like this:

image=/boot/vmlinux
label=Linux
read-only
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="video=ofonly"

image=/boot/vmlinux.old
label=old
read-only
initrd=/boot/initrd.img.old
append="video=ofonly"

And then perform ybin on it to let the system know of the change:

sudo ybin -v -C /media/disk/etc/yaboot.conf

Now that I've opened my big mouth, I wonder if using nosplash instead of video=ofonly might be a better option.. :)
It looks like the parameter "video=ofonly" is included in the yaboot.conf file already on the live cd (from my failed attempt to use the live cd in 8.04), so I think using nosplash is the better option. I note that use of the alternate install cd for 8.04 finds the hdd without resort to the modprobe ide-core command, FWIW.

stream303
April 30th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Oh yeah - definitely a big fan of the "alternate" installers here!

Funny how things work - I was perusing some old-world links and came across something that might be nice to try at the second-stage boot: prompt for that HD that is giving him fits:

live ide=nodma

Maybe?