PDA

View Full Version : HTML/XHTML: ignoring tags in a section

WebDrake
April 29th, 2008, 04:26 PM
A website I'm working on is reading text from a database which unfortunately contains some 'accidental' HTML tags. Imagine for example <s>, meaning "the average of s" ... and which is instead interpreted as a 'strikethrough' tag which never gets closed.

Is there a way I can get my page to ignore these unintended tags and display the text as just text (but with my site's usual text style)?

Zugzwang
April 29th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Sure there is but this has to be done in the server-side script retrieving the data and making the page from it. What language are you using?

CptPicard
April 29th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Just a wild thought, but how are CDATA sections handled in XHTML?

andyrue304
April 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I think you can do it without server-side scripting by amending the database so that it uses

&gt; and
&lt;

for the greater than or less than symbols. Browsers will display these as the correct symbols and you won't get a problem with any mis-reads.

Samhain13
April 29th, 2008, 05:00 PM
If the field you're getting the data from doesn't really have HTML (except those that you say are "accidental") and you're using PHP, htmlspecialchars (http://www.php.net/htmlspecialchars) may be the right tool for you. It basically does what andyrue304 said but without you having to manually alter the data in the database.

But if the field is expected to contain "real" HTML, I guess there's no way you can go around the manual editing of the database entries.

WebDrake
April 29th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies! :-)

I'm working with PHP so I'll check out the htmlspecialchars function -- will confirm tomorrow whether or not it works.

Thanks again!

clasificado
April 29th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Just a wild thought, but how are CDATA sections handled in XHTML? This is, technically, an elegant solution.

But IE Desnt process xhtml, so no way josť.

clasificado

WebDrake
April 30th, 2008, 08:22 AM
htmlspecialchars worked great. Thanks very much! :KS

WebDrake
April 30th, 2008, 12:13 PM
If the field you're getting the data from doesn't really have HTML (except those that you say are "accidental") and you're using PHP, htmlspecialchars (http://www.php.net/htmlspecialchars) may be the right tool for you. It basically does what andyrue304 said but without you having to manually alter the data in the database.
Worked like a dream. Thank you very much! :-)

Samhain13
May 1st, 2008, 01:35 AM
I use it often myself also. You're welcome. :D