PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu - Linux the best thing to learn

ade234uk
April 29th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I am so glad I stumbled upon Linux about 6 years ago. Its taught me so much, and It is now working in my favor.

My boss has got involved with a large company in the US, their complete platform runs on Windows Servers, oh know I thought, wait for the bashing.

Anyway I have been attending some meetings lately and to my complete suprise the bosses from the US cannot believe how cost effective our platforms are. They would see no problem in paying a £300 - £400 a month to host a basic site on a dedicated Windows server. When I told them I managed to have 4 quite busy sites running on one server, they where quite impressed by this. And then when I told them the price, they thought I was joking with them.

Hopefully the big bosses have a lot more appreciation for Open Source. And back to my original subject, I think learning Linux is the best thing anyone can do. I think in a few more years it will open up a load more job opportunities.

grokwik
April 29th, 2008, 03:07 PM
For that part... :-k

I think learning Linux is the best thing anyone can do.

I disagree, there's a lot of much better things to learn.

For the rest, big up :cool:

original_jamingrit
April 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I am so glad I stumbled upon Linux about 6 years ago. Its taught me so much, and It is now working in my favor.

My boss has got involved with a large company in the US, their complete platform runs on Windows Servers, oh know I thought, wait for the bashing.

Anyway I have been attending some meetings lately and to my complete suprise the bosses from the US cannot believe how cost effective our platforms are. They would see no problem in paying a £300 - £400 a month to host a basic site on a dedicated Windows server. When I told them I managed to have 4 quite busy sites running on one server, they where quite impressed by this. And then when I told them the price, they thought I was joking with them.

Hopefully the big bosses have a lot more appreciation for Open Source. And back to my original subject, I think learning Linux is the best thing anyone can do. I think in a few more years it will open up a load more job opportunities.

Great story! I was told that the best thing I could be able to put on my resume was LAMP.