PDA

View Full Version : why in this day and age does a cd drive freeze the computer?

daverich
April 29th, 2008, 11:14 AM
it seems silly that you can't listen to an mp3 and burn another to cd without the mp3 chopping out when the burner goes to write.

I have a dual core machine? - surely it should be able to do more than one thing at a time?

this is with hardy btw.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Jive Turkey
April 29th, 2008, 11:21 AM
It seems thay did something new with the sound in Hardy, and audio is choppy. I was hoping it would go away before the final release. There are a couple of things in Hardy that seem to be broken samba being another one of them.

SunnyRabbiera
April 29th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Yeh the pulseaudio experiments, hopefully things will be fixed for you soon if its becoming too much of an issue

SuperSon!c
April 29th, 2008, 11:35 AM
experiments? why would they include it in a non-beta release if that's the case?

ELD
April 29th, 2008, 11:59 AM
It is supposed to be better, and for most of us it isn't, my sound is chopping when changing windows, moving stuff etc etc.

Remember it is a LTS which means we will get plenty of time for fixes :)

SunnyRabbiera
April 29th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Yeh pulse is kind of new but it is supposed to be better then the old stuff.

ELD
April 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Funny how new stuff isn't always better heh, oh well bring on the fixes :)

SuperSon!c
April 29th, 2008, 01:32 PM

yea, i knew it was newish, but saying it's "experimental" basically should mean it stays in a beta release until it's good to go. weird.

billgoldberg
April 29th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Why in this day and age does anyone even use a cd anymore?

daverich
April 29th, 2008, 06:19 PM

'cos the car only has a cd player.

I did get an mp3 player FM transmitter, but it wasn't very good.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

insane_alien
April 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
i'm waiting for the next release before i start messing with pulseaudio.

karellen
April 29th, 2008, 07:48 PM

so just because the os freezes, let's not use that function anymore. why would someone need features...:confused:
btw, Ubuntu, like many other Linux distros, comes on a cd. so you see why someone would use a cd in this day and age ;)

SuperSon!c
April 29th, 2008, 09:44 PM

oh boy.

aaaantoine
April 29th, 2008, 10:12 PM

Lemme know when it's easier to put a bootable ISO image onto a USB flash drive, and when music services start to sell songs -- nay, albums of songs -- with lossless compression.

billgoldberg
April 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I guess most people don't get jokes. :p

It's the café guys ...

karellen
April 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I guess most people don't get jokes. :p

It's the café guys ...

well, you got us this time :D

PetePete
April 29th, 2008, 11:09 PM
It is supposed to be better, and for most of us it is now, my sound is chopping when changing windows, moving stuff etc etc.

Remember it is a LTS which means we will get plenty of time for fixes :)

i haven't upgraded to hardy, but you are saying the sound chops when doing even the most simplest things such as moving a window??!!!

ffs at least with windows the sound only chops when moving files over a network. christ...

this is what really gets to me, the linux fan boys who rage on about the smallest things when something on windows doesn't work 100% perfect then something like this happens on ubuntu and all is ignored and forgiven..

hunk of junk.
get what you pay for.

i'l stick with fiesty thank you.

init1
April 29th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Yeah this happens to me too. I have to rip my CD's because playing them slows everything down. I know some computers will crash if you insert a CD (regardless of the OS).

ELD
April 30th, 2008, 12:53 PM
i haven't upgraded to hardy, but you are saying the sound chops when doing even the most simplest things such as moving a window??!!!

ffs at least with windows the sound only chops when moving files over a network. christ...

this is what really gets to me, the linux fan boys who rage on about the smallest things when something on windows doesn't work 100% perfect then something like this happens on ubuntu and all is ignored and forgiven..

hunk of junk.
get what you pay for.

i'l stick with fiesty thank you.

Well it seems to work quite a lot nicer now i've used it more, don't really hear any choppyness anymore in the sound, but having audio on flash still crashes firefox 3 more than half the time.