PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't resolve squat with ethernet under 7.10

jhmiller42
April 28th, 2008, 04:26 AM
I've installed 7.10 on my Averatec 3225HS laptop, intending to upgrade to 8.04. (Can't install 8.04 directly because of another glitch entirely -- don't ask.) But now I can't upgrade because I can't resolve anything using the wired connection to my Buffalo WHR-54G-HP.

I mean nothing. Nada. It's not a DNS problem; I can't even resolve the router itself using its IP.

And it's doubly frustrating because I know it works. During the 7.10 (alternate) install half an hour ago, DHCP configuration went off without a hitch, the time-synch worked as far as I could tell, and when I boot into Ubuntu it tells me exactly how many updates are available...but can't download them.

I'm such a noob that I don't even know where to begin. Pointers?

jhmiller42
April 28th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Here's my ifconfig. Excuse the pic -- I'm working with a broken wrist, can't type too quickly.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7236/dscf2646lp4.jpg

Monicker
April 28th, 2008, 07:23 AM
That 169.254.x.x address means no dhcp address was received from the router. Right now your machine is not on the local network.

I would start with checking physical connectivity. Verify the network cable is plugged in snugly.

jhmiller42
April 28th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Works fine when I boot into XP, so there's a connection. I thought I knew enough about networking to get by, but this has me utterly stumped.

Monicker
April 28th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Works fine when I boot into XP, so there's a connection. I thought I knew enough about networking to get by, but this has me utterly stumped.

Are you using XP as a dual boot form the same laptop on which Ubuntu is installed?

If this is a wireless connection, please show the output of the following commands:

sudo lspci -v
sudo iwconfig
sudo ifconfig -a

jhmiller42
April 28th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Nope, it's the wired connection. The wireless is a whole 'nother story -- I've got the Broadcom curse. But I can't tackle that problem until I handle this one.

Yes, same laptop. So the identical physical setup works fine under XP.

joes_meat
April 28th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Sounds like the same problem I'm having.

I wouldn't try to fix the wireless before fixing this networking problem.

I've tried with two different NIC's with exactly the same results - so it's a networking problem, not a card problem. I suspect you'll have the same issues with the wireless card too, regardless of drivers.

jhmiller42
April 28th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Well, let me know if you find anything! I've no idea what to do about utter DHCP failure....

Monicker
April 28th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Well, let me know if you find anything! I've no idea what to do about utter DHCP failure....

What is shown if you manually try to initiate a dhcp request from the terminal?

sudo ifconfig eth1 down
sudo dhclient eth1

joes_meat
April 28th, 2008, 04:18 PM
This might not be much help, but my ethernet is back up!

I don't know which of the things I did helped, but networking is fully functional now.

Via Rhine is eth0
Intel pro 100 is eth1

- I installed a second ethernet card (eth1). That card had the exact same problem. I decided it was not a card or diver problem. It was a system networking problem.
- I blacklisted ipv6
- I removed all entry of eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces. It now looks like:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet ipv4ll
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.254

### NO MENTION OF ETH0

Then in network settings I enabled roaming on eth0 and bam! Fully working ethernet. I restarted a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke and it's fine. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can figure out which of the things I've done fixed the problem.

It could be:
- Blacklisting ipv6
- Removing entry in /etc/networking/interfaces
- Installation of a second NIC - possibly changing IRQ resources/conflicts?

I hope this helps.

jhmiller42
April 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Weirder and weirder. It hardlocks, with the capslock and i/o lights blinking endlessly. No cursor movement. It's totally frozen.

Yep, confirmed. Running dhclient freezes her up.

Monicker
April 28th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Weirder and weirder. It hardlocks, with the capslock and i/o lights blinking endlessly. No cursor movement. It's totally frozen.

Yep, confirmed. Running dhclient freezes her up.

Very strange. I've never seen a machine freeze up while trying to run dhclient before. Perhaps someone else here has run into this particular issue.

jhmiller42
April 28th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Very strange.

Maybe it's the off-brand notebook, but a lot of responses to my Linux questions begin that way....

jhmiller42
April 28th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Not to spam, but I just had an idea. How integrated is the networking stack? Specifically, is there any reason to think my nonfunctional wireless NIC -- which isn't what I'm trying to get working here -- could be contributing to the problem?

The firmware and drivers for the wireless chip, a Broadcom 4306, are completely borked, and prevented me from running the 7.10 liveCD or any form of the 8.04 installation. The latter hangs on an infinite loop as per this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765616).

jhmiller42
April 29th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Anybody? Any ideas why dhclient would freeze a system? Or why DHCP would (apparently) work flawlessly during the alternate install but not after?

jhmiller42
April 29th, 2008, 07:49 PM
OK, problem solved, apparently. For the unlucky few with this issue:

It's an IRQ conflict, a known issue (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/48263) with certain revisions of the VIA Rhine-II NIC and the Linux kernel. The solution is to add the modifier 'acpi=noirq' to the kernel line in GRUB's menu file, located at '/boot/grub/menu.lst'.

If, like me, you're a complete rookie, it may also help to know that you'll have to edit said file by running 'gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst' in a terminal; otherwise you won't have permission to modify the file.