PDA

View Full Version : Debian or DreamLinux?

skymera
April 28th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Im after a bit of distro hopping in the Debian area.

Im installling Debian to a virutal machine just to make sure everything is fine. Wirless actually, the liveCD didnt have wireless option.

but ive found DreamLinux, seems really good, and virtually unheard of which is nice.

Anyone have any experience with these or can give +/- on each?

Thanks

smoker
April 28th, 2008, 12:24 AM
dream linux is pretty good, tried the gnome version briefly and found no problems with it. it is certainly one of the best looking distros around, installs with 'engage' dock, or if you use compiz, changes to awn. definately worth a try,

haven't tried straight debian yet (on my list!),

best of luck

skymera
April 28th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks!
Dream Linux, what was the peformance like for you? boot times and general resource usage?

And what is its wireless support like?
Sorry for questions.:)

It looks more attractive than Debian and im swayed towards it.

smoker
April 28th, 2008, 01:38 AM
performance fine, comparable to ubuntu, i'd say, maybe slightly faster, though i never benchmarked anything.

don't know about wireless, i was using wired, though they have a decent forum and i'm sure there will be a wireless section there where they may have details about your particular card.

forum link here: http://dreamlinuxforums.org/index.php/board,37.0.html

chucky chuckaluck
April 28th, 2008, 01:51 AM
why not try arch? it's wicked fast and an end user like me was able to get it up and running (wireless included).

myusername
April 28th, 2008, 03:22 AM
i like dreamlinux cause its complete but debian is good too

skymera
April 28th, 2008, 07:52 AM
why not try arch? it's wicked fast and an end user like me was able to get it up and running (wireless included).

Arch does seem good :) Thanks, never thought of it!

Anyway thanks for all suggestions and replies. I'll invesitgate more when i get home, but college calls.

gn2
April 28th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Elive? Debian based and uses Enlightenment.