PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless N in Ubuntu? How easy and cost?

pHreaksYcle
April 27th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I'm looking to get an N wireless card for my new desktop because my WiFiMax for PSP and nintendo DS just isn't cutting it with it's garbage B speeds :P

I need to know if there even is N support in ubuntu and if there are any cards that require no/little configuration (plug&play godwilling) because if I buy one, it NEEDS to work, I can't make a mistake here.

Any help GREATLY appreciated, and ubuntu FTW.

EDIT: I noticed it kinda looks like I am too stoopid to google, but I assure you, it's because I trust the people on these forums more than most, and want to see if any of you have had personal experiences with these cards. Thanks!

pHreaksYcle
April 27th, 2008, 11:08 PM
No one uses wireless N standard in Ubuntu? I am shocked! Let me know if you are out there, any info is better than none! :D

Metaleks
April 27th, 2008, 11:27 PM
My laptop has a wireless N card...I can't say that it's supported out of the box, sorry :( I was disappointed too, believe me. However, with ndiswrapper I still manage to achieve insane speeds (1mb+/sec downloads...sometimes). Is there anything else in particular that you want to know? Like all things that are new, it's gonna take a little time to set up and get running in Ubuntu.

Chig00
April 27th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I have built-in Intel 4965AGN which works great with usual access points, but i didn't have chance to try any N-enabled network.

pHreaksYcle
April 27th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Well, that's cool at least there is support for it, albeit it sounds difficult. I am looking for responses from desktop users as well, cmon people.

tvphil
April 28th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I have the same built in intel 4965 card in mine, using a D-Link Extreme N Router and I can tell you Ubuntu doesn't support N streams, only A and G. The card works in Ubuntu, but it only gives me the G (54m) stream.The same router and network with the same computers on the Windows side of the dual boot, does in fact connect to the N stream.

pHreaksYcle
April 28th, 2008, 01:02 AM
So if I am understanding right, N wireless is not available in Ubuntu? Can others confirm this? I'm going to be quite annoyed if this is the case. :D Thanks for your replies.

zackiv31
May 8th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Woo.. I'm interested in the same thing... draft n has been around for a good while now no? This is not very good news to my ears...

Transferring at 45MB/s in Vista... not liking it so much in Ubuntu if this is the case...