PDA

View Full Version : Seems like every new release forgets the good things from the last version!

Afkpuz
April 27th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I've noticed a trend that happens with the new releases of ubuntu. I agree that each version is better than the last, but I always notice small things that seem to be made worse. Let me make my case.

1.) Default DVD player In gutsy, it was pretty easy to change the default dvd player. Just had to goto System>Preferences>removable drives and media. Then, I could paste in any player command I liked. In hardy, that feature has since vanished and can still be done, but must be done through config files that many wouldn't be able to find on there. It just defaults to the feature rich totem movie player. This seems like a set back.

2.) Selection of desktop effects In gutsy, rightlicking and selecting effects would give a 4rth choice if compiz settings manager was installed called "custom". So, if I needed to turn off compiz, I could turn it back on and settings would be exactly the same. In hardy though, "custom" is gone. Only the standard 3 choices are there and I don't like desktop wall on by default. Since I need to turn off effects for movies to play smoothly, I have to go back into compiz config every movie to turn off desktop wall and turn the cube back on. Once again, a little thing, but why bother taking it out. Was it just overlooked?

These are really the only 2 things that irk me about hardy and as a whole, I like it. I just don't understand why these usefull features were taken out? Has anyone else noticed little things like this?

madjr
April 27th, 2008, 08:21 PM
these are bugs that broke those features, but they should be back 1 day.....who knows.

days_of_ruin
April 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I've noticed a trend that happens with the new releases of ubuntu. I agree that each version is better than the last, but I always notice small things that seem to be made worse. Let me make my case.

1.) Default DVD player In gutsy, it was pretty easy to change the default dvd player. Just had to goto System>Preferences>removable drives and media. Then, I could paste in any player command I liked. In hardy, that feature has since vanished and can still be done, but must be done through config files that many wouldn't be able to find on there. It just defaults to the feature rich totem movie player. This seems like a set back.

2.) Selection of desktop effects In gutsy, rightlicking and selecting effects would give a 4rth choice if compiz settings manager was installed called "custom". So, if I needed to turn off compiz, I could turn it back on and settings would be exactly the same. In hardy though, "custom" is gone. Only the standard 3 choices are there and I don't like desktop wall on by default. Since I need to turn off effects for movies to play smoothly, I have to go back into compiz config every movie to turn off desktop wall and turn the cube back on. Once again, a little thing, but why bother taking it out. Was it just overlooked?

These are really the only 2 things that irk me about hardy and as a whole, I like it. I just don't understand why these usefull features were taken out? Has anyone else noticed little things like this?

NOOOOOOO!!!I loved having that fourth option.There must still be a fast way
to switch back, right?

Ub1476
April 27th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I also fail to see why "Screens and Graphics" has been hidden..

TBOL3
April 27th, 2008, 10:18 PM
NOOOOO! I need both of those!!!!!

Mazza558
April 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
You have to install the compiz config program manually on Hardy.

quinnten83
April 27th, 2008, 10:25 PM
to easily configure/ toggle compiz install compiz-fusion-icon from the repo's.
And i agree, i hate it when they change these little things that used to work.

kinematic
April 27th, 2008, 10:30 PM

Because The Ubuntu devs are hard at work to cater to the lowest common dinominator. They're hiding more and more from the user with each release, maybe they also think pc users have the brain of a spider monkey.

TBOL3
April 27th, 2008, 10:36 PM
You actually had to install it on gutsy as well. But, oh well, I'm trying out the icon download now.

ticopelp
April 27th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Because The Ubuntu devs are hard at work to cater to the lowest common dinominator. They're hiding more and more from the user with each release, maybe they also think pc users have the brain of a spider monkey.

Ouch.

maniacmusician
April 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I wish there was a unified settings management application for Gnome like KControl or system-settings for KDE. The System>Preferences menu has always seem more scattered and hard to use for me in comparison to the aforementioned apps.

I think it would also make it easier to provide a balance between interfaces for novice and advanced users. An easy "Simple/Advanced" toggle button would suffice quite nicely, leaving you with all the options you need, neatly organized, at your fingertips. I believe even XFCE has something like this, right?

intense.ego
April 27th, 2008, 10:51 PM
For everyone that needs an easy way to toggle compiz on and off, there is a program I use in Gutsy called Compiz-Switch that does the job perfectly.

Here's a link: http://forlong.blogage.de/article/pages/Compiz-Switch

billgoldberg
April 27th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I wish there was a unified settings management application for Gnome like KControl or system-settings for KDE. The System>Preferences menu has always seem more scattered and hard to use for me in comparison to the aforementioned apps.

I think it would also make it easier to provide a balance between interfaces for novice and advanced users. An easy "Simple/Advanced" toggle button would suffice quite nicely, leaving you with all the options you need, neatly organized, at your fingertips. I believe even XFCE has something like this, right?

One of the reasons I don't use kde is those control menu's.

I just hate them. I really can't stand them.

MrCringley
April 27th, 2008, 11:04 PM

Open any nautilus window, open the edit menu, select preferences, go to the media tab and change the default application there.

It's a weird place for it, I know, but at least it's somewhere.

wipeout140
April 27th, 2008, 11:08 PM

Ubuntu comes with gnome control center just de-ticked in the main menu application. gnome control center is just like windows,xfce and kde

cardinals_fan
April 27th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I hate 'control panels' but GNOME has gotten truly intolerable. They seem to enjoy shutting off every option in their DE. It's the Apple philosophy; "it's easy to use because their are no choices".

One thing I don't get: If Ubuntu chooses to include Compiz by default, why no CCSM? At least let us configure it...

sub2007
April 27th, 2008, 11:15 PM
For an easy way to switch Window Managers (because I do exactly the same as you to watch full screen things or play games) I use Fusion icon (sudo apt-get install fusion-icon) which puts a little icon in the system tray (I remember Beryl Manager did this in Feisty) which allows you to switch window managers with a right-click. It's running all the time in the system tray and so it's very convenient for switching window managers.

chrisccoulson
April 27th, 2008, 11:15 PM

Because it uses Xinerama which is deprecated, and it can cause completely broken Xorg configs. It isn't needed by most people as Xorg detects and configures display hardware automatically now (and where it doesn't, people should report it as a bug), and the Screen Resolution tool in GNOME provides pretty much the same functionality. The only reason displayconfig-gtk is still included is because it's needed for BulletProofX

Nano Geek
April 27th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I hate 'control panels' but GNOME has gotten truly intolerable. They seem to enjoy shutting off every option in their DE. It's the Apple philosophy; "it's easy to use because their are no choices".

One thing I don't get: If Ubuntu chooses to include Compiz by default, why no CCSM? At least let us configure it...Aside from the Screensaver option window, here has GNOME removed any features?

I think they didn't install CCSM is because 1. Not everyone uses Compiz, and 2. Someone who didn't know what they were doing would break something.

It's not hard to install yourself.

23meg
April 27th, 2008, 11:31 PM

It's due to changes in GNOME 2.22 that aren't quite complete in this cycle (Nautilus + HAL doing the media automounting instead of gnome-volume-manager). Edit / Preferences / Media in Nautilus has most of the functionality. Unfortunately, some Universe apps were shipped with incomplete mimetypes, which makes them fail to appear as options on that tab (see bug #191475 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/rhythmbox/+bug/191475)). The fix is simple and can qualify for hardy-updates; feel free to fix.

It just looks for simple-ccsm instead of ccsm. Install it.

Because it uses Xinerama which is deprecated, and it can cause completely broken Xorg configs. It isn't needed by most people as Xorg detects and configures display hardware automatically now (and where it doesn't, people should report it as a bug), and the Screen Resolution tool in GNOME provides pretty much the same functionality. The only reason displayconfig-gtk is still included is because it's needed for BulletProofX

More here: http://www.bryceharrington.org/drupal/display-config-2

See above.

icechen1
April 27th, 2008, 11:32 PM
You have to install Simple-CCSM to show the 4th option.

Mr. Picklesworth
April 27th, 2008, 11:34 PM
It's been rearranged, as mentioned. That is all. Both of those things were in flux for this release, and it wouldn't be a stretch to expect them to move again. The organization right now is rather silly, since it expects the user to know that Nautilus is in charge of stuff like that itself. (Similar to putting browser history under View -> Sidebar).

Besides that, Compiz and "desktop effects" stuff is handled downstream; not by GNOME. In Ubuntu, simple-ccsm is now the program used for the Customize button, so you will need to install that instead.

No, this was not to "hide away options" (your more detailed options are there, in ccsm), but to produce something tidy, consistent and usable. In other words, ccsm was a usability disaster.

Same idea with Screens and Graphics. It created the messiest xorg config files imaginable and became redundant with the improved autodetection in newer versions of xorg. I for one witnessed even usability issues with that tool, for example where a perfectly capable user was trying to turn on the nvidia driver running Ubuntu in a virtual machine. It really makes no sense for the tool to expose such a huge choice of graphics drivers as if it is normal to need to manually pick them.

The new screen resolution preferences should fill in most missing details, although it does rely quite heavily on there being good graphics drivers.

It would be nice to have a tool like Screens and Graphics admin which also handles input settings in a flexible way. There is a bit of movement to creating a better system for programs to configure xorg stuff automatically without creating messes, so hopefully that will turn out well!

pt123
April 27th, 2008, 11:40 PM
For everyone that needs an easy way to toggle compiz on and off, there is a program I use in Gutsy called Compiz-Switch that does the job perfectly.

Here's a link: http://forlong.blogage.de/article/pages/Compiz-Switch

There is a package in Hardy called Fusion Icon which does this, but the package doesn't load up in the notification area, nor is it in the panel applets options.

Edit: it's in System>Fusion Icon.

I guess you have to add it to your start up applications

days_of_ruin
April 27th, 2008, 11:46 PM
to easily configure/ toggle compiz install compiz-fusion-icon from the repo's.
And i agree, i hate it when they change these little things that used to work.

SAVED!

Ub1476
April 27th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks for that link 23meg. I have just read a lot of posts where people are trying to setup dual-monitors. Even though I haven't done that myself, Xrandr doesn't appear to have as good support for it like displayconfig does. Also, some people have had issues with VGA drivers (don't ask me how they managed that these days), and the only way to change that now (I think), is to edit xorg.conf, which is not very tempting for new, _basic_ users.

I just wonder, now that nvidia and ati (and intel?) support dual-monitors (with Compiz?), is it still the hardware manufactures problem or the xorg devs?

Please shed some light on these questions:)

23meg
April 28th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I just wonder, now that nvidia and ati (and intel?) support dual-monitors (with Compiz?), is it still the hardware manufactures problem or the xorg devs?

With drivers that support XRandR (all Intel and some ATI, I think; you can find a definitive list with a search), if something doesn't work with the new tool, it should be filed as a bug in Xorg. NVIDIA don't seem to like XRandR and provide their own tool (nvidia-settings) with the proprietary driver, which works well for setting up multiple displays.

init1
April 28th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Yeah, you can't serve everybody. If you have too many options, people will complain that it's too complex. Too few and the other side will complain that it can't be customized enough.