PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless not working..please help!!

psychoclaire
April 27th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Hi,

Recently bought a Belkin wireless router for use with a Virgin cable modem. I installed the router on my laptop and set up the wireless network. However, I can only pick up the internet when the networking cable is plugged in from the router to my laptop. However, my housemate can pick up and connect to the network wirelessly, even when I unplug the networking cable from my laptop. I've got a new wireless card, so I know it works....but I can't detect our network (my card picks up several other networks though).

On installing the router, I selected to connect via the cable rather than wirelessly...is this the reason why? I've tried re-installing the router, but it hasn't given me the option to connect wirelessly anymore...if that makes sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

psychoclaire
April 27th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Please?? It's really doing my head in

MaindotC
April 27th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Some questions for you:

What kind of laptop do you have? Do you know what is the name of the wireless card in your laptop? When you right-click the network icon, do you see an option that says "Enable Wireless"?

There are a couple of points I can eliminate. First of all, the wireless router. 802.11 a/b/g is a standard, so if so much as one person can detect and connect to that network, then I assume the router is working properly from an electrical standpoint. Secondly, if you're roommate can connect, then I will assume it is an issue with your laptop and probably more specificly the wireless card. Get me that information and we'll go from there.

psychoclaire
April 27th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks v much. I have a Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop..sorry, not sure if that's what you meant.

The wireless card is a Belkin G+ network card.

Sorry...I'm absolutely awful with computers...not sure where the network icon is. The wireless card is picking up several networks, but for some reason can't find this particular one.

If I go into the network connections screen and right click 'repair' I get an error message saying that the problem can't be rectified as the network adapter couldnt be disabled.

MaindotC
April 27th, 2008, 09:08 PM
It's pretty obvious that you're new so I'll try and keep this as easy to understand as possible :) I don't have a "repair" feature in my version of Ubuntu. Can you tell me what version you are using? Also, what are the differences between the networks you detect and the one that you cannot detect? For example, is it password protected, or is it a different speed such as 802.11a (really slow), 802.11b (a little better), 802.11g(about half of a wired connection speed)?