PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Networking is comlicated, any way to make it easier?

cafe-ristretto
April 27th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hi,

I have a Dell d830, and I can get it going with eth0 or wlan0, but it's not easy. I won't bore you with all the hoops I've been through. I'll just say that the Network manager doesn't seem to work as I expect; so I either don't understand it, or it doesn't work.

I have a laptop in the house that I sometime plug into eth0, and other times just use the wireless.

When I take it out of the house, I sometimes would like to roam for a wireless connection, and other times, use one that's preconfigured. For preconfigured connection, I sometimes want to use a static IP and sometimes DHCP, depending on who's network I'm getting on.

I know the network manager should handle all this, but it doesn't work for me. What I would really like is for the laptop to "discover" a network with as very little input from me as possible. I doubt this is very possible, as I have no idea how the laptop could test a connection without using a timeout, which would be unacceptable. Or, am I wrong, does something like this exists?

A good solution would be a choose on the login screen the network profile. Is there someway to get this feature?

And, I would be nice to have a network manager tool that will let you switch connections reliably, if not seamlessly.

If you've read this the whole way through, then THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I'm tired and rambling. ;)

Patsoe
April 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Glad that it works. Go Dell! :)

I completely agree with you that the Network Manager applet isn't a very intuitive thing to deal with. I think I want to find out if the developer team would like some new people in on development - maybe we could make it better, and so contribute?

If you want to check out another tool, that seems to give more control (but doesn't exactly fit in with the Gnome guidelines for interface design):
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/