PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Infinite Loop in Trash!

Nintendo01
April 27th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Problem Solved! Thanks' everyone!

While trying to get a link to my home folder on my desktop in Hardy (although I doubt this is confined to just Hardy), I copied my entire Home folder to the Desktop. I then moved it to the trash, but when I tried to empty the trash it deleted all of the stuff in the Home folder except for the Desktop folder. Since the Desktop has a link to the Home folder, and the Home folder has a link to the Desktop, there is an infinite loop in my trash can that can't be permanently deleted!

Just to be clear, my trash holds a folder called "wayne" that contains a folder called "Desktop" that contains a folder called "wayne" that contains a folder called "Desktop"... and this goes on forever and can't be deleted.

Can anyone help me empty my trash?

It's after midnight right now, so I'll check back in the morning to see if anyone posted anything besides "What were you thinking!!!!" :)

Thanks!

Demorgon
April 27th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Wow I've never heard of this... but yea next time it might be easer just to alt+F2 then the following to add Home folder, trash, ect....

gconf-editor

Then

apps \ nautilus \ desktop

HunterThomson
April 27th, 2008, 06:54 AM
WOW that sucks... I have no idea how to fix it I just wanted to say that:)

Nintendo01
April 27th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the input people. Still looking for anyone who can actually fix the problem, if it's possible to fix anyway.

Nintendo01
April 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Wow I've never heard of this... but yea next time it might be easer just to alt+F2 then the following to add Home folder, trash, ect....

gconf-editor

Then

apps \ nautilus \ desktop
Thanks for this bit of information! It got my Computer and Home folders on the desktop, just like I wanted. Maybe I should have Googled it before trying what I did before?

Psyker7
April 27th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Hardy:

cd ~/.local/share/Trash/files
unlink <foldername>

or Gutsy and before...

cd ~/.Trash
unlink <foldername>

where foldername is the folder you can't remove from the trash :)

Nintendo01
April 27th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Hardy:

cd ~/.local/share/Trash/files
unlink <foldername>

or Gutsy and before...

cd ~/.Trash
unlink <foldername>

where foldername is the folder you can't remove from the trash :)
Thanks for the help, but it doesn't work. It gives me this:

wayne@wayne-laptop:~$ cd ~/.local/share/Trash/files
wayne@wayne-laptop:~/.local/share/Trash/files$ unlink wayne
unlink: cannot unlink `wayne': Is a directory
wayne@wayne-laptop:~/.local/share/Trash/files$

Diabolis
April 27th, 2008, 09:23 PM
When you delete a file, it goes to the trash can. This is a feature of gnome, not linux. The trash can is a folder that its actually stored in your home folder as a hidden folder. Open your home folder with nautilus and press ctrl + h so you can see hidden files. The trash folder is called .Trash.
That is why you have an infinite loop.

Instead of sending your files to the trash, delete them by hand with the rm command.
What you have to do is:

cd .Trash
rm -r *
The first command takes you to the trash folder.
The second command deletes files.

The -r option makes it recursive so it also deletes folders and the * means delete everything.
For example if you use A* instead of *, it will delete all the files that their names start with a A.

Be very careful with that command as it can destroy your whole system.

NEVER do this:

sudo rm -rf /

Please read this:
malicious commands (http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=73)

Nintendo01
April 28th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Unfortunately, your suggestion does not work, as there is no .Trash folder on my computer. I looked with ctrl+h to show hidden files in my home folder and there was no .Trash. I also did a search of the filesystem and the only things with trash in their names are some trashapplet files, folders, and icons. The page that opens when I open the trash can using the panel applet is "trash:///" and typing various "cd trash, Trash, .trash, .Trash, etc..." in terminal all bring up folder not found. Maybe the trash is stored someplace else in hardy?

Anyone else have a suggestion?

Edit: I just went back through the posts and realized you posted the Gutsy "cd .Trash" command. I used Psyker7's "cd ~/.local/share/Trash/files" to get to the trash, then used your "rm -r *" command and it worked! Thanks so much, problem solved!!!