PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have *always* used Linux

munkyeetr
April 26th, 2008, 08:49 PM
There are threads and questions asking how many people have completely switched to Linux, but I am curious how many of you have always used Linux, or other unix-based, as your primary (or only) OS?

This is purely for personal curiosity. I, myself, teethed on Windows and came of age and fell in love on Linux.

Dark Hornet
April 26th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Personally, I have used Unix/Linux all of my life--(almost 30 years old). I use Sun Solaris at work (Network Engineer), and I have used a flavor of Linux at home ever since I can remember. I have had (in the past) a few windows machines for those games that just won't play under WINE, etc. However my "main" machines have always been a flavor of linux.

Darkhornet

macogw
April 26th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Not me, but my bf has always used *nix. He was a Solaris user as a kid, then installed Linux in 1992. Now he loves his Mac, but he's giving Ubuntu a shot on his Thinkpad. He had to ask me what to do when his brother came home with a virus-ridden Windows computer because though he's a computer geek he's never used Windows for more than testing out the latest security exploit (he's into security research).

Irihapeti
April 26th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Not me, either - I don't think it existed when I started using computers - but I've tended to prefer the unusual and less used. I owned a couple of Mac 680x0 machines for a number of years. True, I had a DOS 3.3 machine, but only as a second machine and at a time that it was rather going out of favour. I couldn't be bothered with the notion of doing battle with Windows 3.something or whatever was the latest and greatest at the time.

When I got my current PC, about a year ago, it had Vista on it. That phase lasted all of 5 months or so, before the lure of the unusual and different (Ubuntu 7.04) got to me again. Now I'm Windows-free again.

jerrylamos
April 27th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Well, my wife and I started using IBM PC's in 1982. There wasn't any linux.

Jerry

Bubba64
April 27th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Linux Only.

Northsider
April 27th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I never even heard of it until a few years ago. :-]

acelin
April 27th, 2008, 06:01 AM
I learned how to use computers with the early Macs and Windows Dos. I used a mac during kindergarten and first grade ( I have always loved computers) then moved to a windows machine after that. I had Windows 1,2,3.1,3.11, 95,98, Me, XP, XP SP2, and I have a Vista machine currently.

I have been using Linux since 1st grade though I remember haeing some sort of Linux Dos type OS on my dad's computer- he was a scientist- then didn't hear anything about it until my brother started messing around with Freespire then Ubuntu. I had Freespire, but was quickly converted to Edgy Eft. Been a user since.

omns
April 27th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Linux and Mac Os's as primaries. Windows only when forced to at work, which thankfuly hasn't been to often

HermanAB
April 27th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Well, I studied Unix post grad when Linus was still in high school...

pbpersson
April 27th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Oh? Linux? OH, no, no, no

In 1992 I became a network administrator with Windows 3.11 and OS/2......then moved onto Windows NT. I was a Windows NT guru for years.....even became MS certified in NT 4.0 and Windows 2000.

I tried Linux SEVERAL times over the years.....Corel.....Red Hat......Mandrake......it was always WAY too difficult and after posting all sorts of "Linux is too difficult" stuff on forums I would always go back to Windows.

For instance.....there was no documentation back then, you had to recompile your kernel just to get sound working, everything kept crashing.....and the help was no help because I needed help understanding it. Everything on the forums was WAY over my head. :(

Doing something as simple as hooking up a scanner took forever just because I didn't know what I was doing - this was in Mandrake days.....the distro was decent but I was such a NOOB. I had to get on the web and research for hours to learn about SANE or something like that - then after realizing that was just the engine I had to research more.....I think it was a day of reading before I discovered that KOOKA did scanning. It all worked perfectly but KOOKA was probably thinking, "What took you so long? The scanner was installed yesterday and I've been waiting all this time for you to try me....." :)

Honestly, I think each time I tried Linux I gained more information about the directory structure, sudo, shell scripts, XServer, and eventually my knowledge grew and Linux got easier so last year Feisty captured me and I have been a Linux user ever since. :)

Oh......and none of this would have been possible without all the helpful people on this forum. I don't even have to post a question out here because 90% of the time I can find the answer in an old post. :guitar:

=D>

jrusso2
April 27th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I got my first computer in 1983 an IBM, there was no Linux then. This is one of the reasons Linus created Linux in 91 to fill this gap of an affordable Unix for i386.

I started using Linux in 96. I had been working as a Windows Network Administrator during this time and it was love at first site for me. Something I could play with and learn but still very solid.

By 97 at home I was using Red Hat as my main operating system at home except for when I needed to play games or play a Windows Media File.

rogun
April 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM
While I can't say that I've always used Linux, I can say that I've been using it for as long as I've used Windows, which I'm slowly doing away with altogether. I can't recall the first operating system I used, but there were a few before any of the above.

Actually, the first was probably either CP/M or VMS, though I'm unsure which I used first. I think my first personal computer ran CP/M, but I was using VMS at school at the time and I'm not sure which came first.

My first installation of Linux was Redhat 2.0. I'd recently attained my first computer with Windows on it (Win 3.11 to be exact) and installed Redhat 2.0 alongside Windows. I was already familiar with the UNIX CLI, so I already knew how to get around in Linux, but that's when I first learned DOS.

hessiess
April 27th, 2008, 10:10 AM
100% linux whenever i have the option.

retskrad
April 27th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Well I use Ubuntu 8.04 LTS all the time and I use windows when I play games. and some software which doesnt work in wine. anyway besides of that, windows is trash. People are using it because almost all the softwares is for windows and all the games,

ronacc
April 27th, 2008, 01:17 PM
since 2000 as an only OS and since the mid 90's a a toy , before that I come from the era when the keyboard was a cardpunch machine:)

bonzodog
April 27th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I have always had linux on my machines, and my first foray into the world of PC's was with HP/UX.
I have used Linux since 1996, and had it as a sole OS on my home machine since 1999.
I did briefly try windows, but I found it too hard to understand, and the interface was very unfamiliar. To be honest, coming from a pure unix point of view, Microsoft have created an extremely difficult to use OS, with a very confusing and convoluted interface. And as for vista...eeek is all I can say.
Linux, even Slackware, IS easier to install and setup, and the majority of the Window Managers are more straightforward, and at least conform to one or other standards -- it seems that Microsoft, for all their billions of dollars cannot create a simple, easy to use standard interface.

ronacc
April 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM
On the more speculative side I see where MS is giving up on Vista ( though they don't say it that way) and rushing windows 7 into production (early 2009 they do say ) which will be a complete break with the past with no backwards compatibility . Are we seeing the real reason behind the MS Novel deal and is MS going "nix" ?

spamzilla
April 27th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Started using Ubuntu in May '06 and have not looked back. I now only use Windows at work - I'm an IT techie and my boss has never used linux, so using Ubuntu across the network is a no-go.

I honestly cannot understand why more people don't use Ubuntu as its so easy to use, setup, customise and more importantly, ITS FREE!

acelin
April 27th, 2008, 04:57 PM
On the more speculative side I see where MS is giving up on Vista ( though they don't say it that way) and rushing windows 7 into production (early 2009 they do say ) which will be a complete break with the past with no backwards compatibility . Are we seeing the real reason behind the MS Novel deal and is MS going "nix" ?

Actually, Windows 7 is minimizing the Windows Kernel, but will have full compatibility with backwards programs. It is going to improve the performance of Aero, and the interface will be more customizable and more streamlined. Gadgets will be merged within the Explorer. Its minimum requirements will be less than Vista-
So basically they are fixing Vista.

I still think Ubuntu will have come of age- we need to make it where all programs- including Windows and OS X- can run on Ubuntu.

jaytek13
April 27th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I started playing around with Linux when I got my first computer... not quite "always" since that didn't occur until I was 18, but I've got a good number of years under my belt.

How things have changed...

kinematic
April 27th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I got my very first PC early 2005 and it came (ofcourse) with Windows pre-installed. I got annoyed with it very fast (used it a total of 4 months) because of all the security issues and had heard about this "Linux thing" so I decided to investigate and ended up with PCLinuxOS wich was a great distro to get me started. I was amazed at how simple and logical the whole system layout was compard to Windows. I occasionally take a look at Windows when I'm at a friends house but I just can get my head around it. It's like MS did everything in their power to make the whole system as complicated as possible (like the registry, wtf is up with that ?)

cardinals_fan
April 27th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I am part of a broken generation. I grew up on Windows ME :-({|=

xpod
April 27th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I only used Windows(a pc) for a few short months before stumbling across Ubuntu one day but seeing as that was only 2 short years ago i dont think it`s quite long enough to say i`ve "always" used Linux...

I have used *buntu-Linux for nearly 9 times as long as i ever used Windows,which is`nt too far off i suppose :)

smoker
April 27th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I have used *buntu-Linux for nearly 9 times as long as i ever used Windows,which is`nt too far off i suppose :)

i recommend you for a 'long service award!' how about this?:lolflag:

notwen
April 27th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Tinkered w/ Slackware back in 98 and the rest is history. =]

ronacc
April 27th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Actually, Windows 7 is minimizing the Windows Kernel, but will have full compatibility with backwards programs. It is going to improve the performance of Aero, and the interface will be more customizable and more streamlined. Gadgets will be merged within the Explorer. Its minimum requirements will be less than Vista-
So basically they are fixing Vista.

I still think Ubuntu will have come of age- we need to make it where all programs- including Windows and OS X- can run on Ubuntu.

this does not jibe with the interview I read with an MS VP, I believe the direct quote was "we are not going to try to maintain backwards compatibility" , unfortunately I can not provide a direct link to the interview . but on the otherhand it would be just like MS to put out 14 mutualy contradictory statements about it .

seatex
April 27th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I got into Linux a year ago with ubuntu 7.04 feisty fawn. I switched to kubuntu for the KDE interface shortly afterwards. I was using XP with GRUB dual boot. After 6 months, I upgraded to 7.10 gutsy gibbon. I was using Linux about 80% at that time. When I did a fresh install of 8.04 hardy heron, I gave it the entire HD. So, after a year with ubuntu, I said hasta la vista to XP. Now, I can't understand why some people pay money for Vista, when Linux is better and FREE!

The only way I would use an MS OS again is if I had to for work.

I am now a member of the "Linux Only" club, and a proud one at that.

:)

xpod
April 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM
i recommend you for a 'long service award!' how about this

AW shucks smokes,what can i say,it even matches my other one,for the shortest service in Windows:biggrin:

I still remember that day(s) on some other(ahem:)) forum trying to figure out how to re-install my skanky ole Windows with naught but a burnt i386 directory & a floppy disk.Thankfully i did`nt know about Nlite back then:)
I was lucky i suppose,the same day(s) i eventually managed to re-install the broken Windows i also stumbled across Ubuntu.

Those first few months with Windows still has to be the most frustratingly annoying few months that anyone ever had with any new OS,i`m sure of it.:)

david_lynch
April 27th, 2008, 10:49 PM
It feels like I've used linux almost forever, but I must confess I was a dos, then a windows user back in the early 1990s. I knew about unix and respected it, but considered it out of my reach, as I couldn't afford anything like the sort of hardware needed for a unix system, let alone the software.

In 1993 I got a job at the university of california, and started getting familiar with unix, as there were sun and sgi boxes all aver the place.

I liked unix so much I wanted to practice working with it at home, and was about to buy a copy of a "make believe" unix called "coherent" when a co-worker told me about this new unix clone called "line-x" that could run on the same hardware as ms windows, and could even be set up dual boot, so I asked the local linux gurus to hook me up. That was the summer of 1993, and the distro was SLS. Within a few months, I was never booting into windows. Later that year, slackware came out and I switched.

Long story short, I ran slack for 4 years, then redhat for 7 years, then suse for 4. But I've just loaded hardy heron on a laptop and a desktop and I have to say I'm favorably impressed. I've been a kde guy for some years but gnome as shipped in hardy heron is quite agreeable.

You might say I've been won over.