PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Recording Rock in Ubuntu-- What works?

modestmelody
April 26th, 2008, 07:13 PM
As a musician I've done some basic recording for a long time with my computer. There are always all kinds of issues unless you're very careful about hardware, software, drivers, etc. Latency is always issue number 1. There's a lot of common hardware, certainly amongst guitar players, out there. Let's make this the thread that lists what kind of software and hardware is working well, or not so well, that you've tried with Linux.

Things like, Pre-Sonus Firebox/Firepod, M-Audio Audiobuddy, any other preamps with D/A converters built in to USB or Firewire, etc.

Soundcards like the M-Audio Delta stuff, the new ASUS card, etc.

dagoth_pie
September 5th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I know audacity is good for recording, it can do other stuff like editing, but I don't know to what extent, I just use it to record speeches...

madeinfamous
September 5th, 2009, 04:08 PM
allo modestmelody,

SOFTWARE :

Ardour
Creox c
Gtick
Hydrogen
JACK Control
JAMin
Linux MultiMedia Studio (lmms)
Rosegarden
Sooperlooper
Virtual MIDI Keyboard
ZynAddSubFx Software Synthesizer

HARDWARE :

inspiron 1525 (full intel) ubuntu 9.04 with RT kernel

m-audio Oxygen8 v2 (plug & play)

you also need : patience & imagination,

have a nice weekend :)

Ganymedes
September 6th, 2009, 10:21 AM
EMU 0202 USB Soundcard works out of the box in 9.04 and also in Netbook Remix. Very nice sound quality. No sw/driver installation was required. How to get different applications to actually use it, maybe require some figuring out and may depend on the application.

EMU 0404 did not work out of the box - it gave a distorted sound. I did not try to make it work, though.

Both of these claim that they give 0 latency playback with USB (both of these are targeted (also) for recording on PC, if not obvious, with 6.3 mm jack and XLR connectors and other stuff).

Stochastic
September 6th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Ardour with Jamin on a realtime enabled system.