PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] If you're having problems with volume increments using pommed...

CodeSamurai
April 26th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Hey all. When I installed 8.04 on my 3,1 macbook pro and then installed pommed, I had some really strange volume problems including bad adjustment, non-audible ranges and "popping". Here's how I fixed them:

Open volume control, then make sure your selected device is HDA intel.

Right click on the volume icon on your bar and select preferences. Set your selection to "Master".

Go to System>Preferences>Sound and set your device to PCM.

Open a terminal:

sudo gedit /etc/pommed.conf

Go to the audio section and set the step value = 3. Make sure your mixer element for volume adjustment is "PCM". Save and close.

Uninstall pommed:

sudo apt-get remove pommed

Reinstall pommed

sudo apt-get install pommed

Log out and back in.

The reinstallation of pommed starts using the new conf file. Not sure what the deal is there. After I did this, i was able to adjust the volume correctly. In the volume controls, I set "Master" to a little below full, PCM is adjusted by you, and Front all the way to full. Sorry if any of this is confusing. I'm getting back into the swing of ubuntu information, it might take me a bit.

Trent out

dustynus
May 17th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Awesome nice fix. Worked great for me. I had the same problem, glad you found the solution :)

cyberdork33
May 17th, 2008, 05:27 PM
you shouldn't have to completely reinstall though, just restart pommed.

Rog-Mahal
June 2nd, 2008, 03:51 AM
I tried your fix and I still have the same problem, it seems like the problem is my volume controls raise or lower both the Master and PCM controls at the same time which causes the big increases and decreases. Any thoughts? Is there a way to unlink them?

cyberdork33
June 2nd, 2008, 04:26 AM
System > Preferences > Sound

At the bottom you can select the channel(s) that your keyboard adjusts.