PDA

View Full Version : Getting a program to accept input before executing - Yes, it's a newbie question.

RudolfMDLT
April 26th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Hi,

I don't know what it's called so could someone please tell me and I'll happily go search Google for it! :)

when you in the terminal do a command:

rsync -ruv --delete

What do you call the bold bits? How do you write a c++ application to accept those extra "flags"/"options". I've tried some google searches but ended up with a lot of spam.

Thanks for any pointers,

Rudolf

CptPicard
April 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Command line arguments, and they are passed as parameters to the main method. In

int main(int argc, char **argv)

argv is an array of strings which are the command line args, and argc is the number of said arguments.

heikaman
April 26th, 2008, 05:46 PM
hi...
It's called a command-line argument/option.
"-r" is called a short option , "--recursive" is called (guess what ?) a long option :).

There are two ways to use cmd args:

1- parse the arguments yourself (argc holds the number of args and argv is an array of char* to the args) just like CptPicard said.

2- use getopt to parse the args for you, say you want to make a program that accepts -h for help, -v for verbose and -w for width, you use it like this:

const char *opts="w:hv"; // w: means w takes an argument, for example -w 500
char opt;

while( (opt=getopt(argc, argv, opts))){
switch(opt){
case '?':{
//unknown option
exit(1);
}
case 'h':{
//print help
printf("%s\n", help_mesg);
exit(0);
break;
}
case 'v':{
//be verbose
VERBOSE=1;
break;
}
case 'w':{
//w's argument in optarg
sscanf(optarg, "%d", &width);
break;
}
}
}

to parse long options read the manual
man 3 getopt
man 3 getopt_long

JupiterV2
April 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM
There are libraries (can't think of the name off the top of my head) for command-line parsing of arguments. Here is a very basic example:

C

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
if( argc != 2 )
printf("Usage: <program_name> <argument1>\n");
else
printf("You typed '%s' as the argument to this program!\n", argv[1]);

return 0;
}

C++

#include <iostream>

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
if( argc != 2 )
std::cout << "Usage: <program_name> <argument1>\n";
else
std::cout << "You typed '" << argv[1] <<
"' as the argument to this program!\n";

return 0;
}

You can find a more complete example on the GNU Manual site: http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/libc/Example-of-Getopt.html#Example-of-Getopt

Can+~
April 26th, 2008, 07:03 PM
For the record, a week ago I was checking "Python in a nutshell", and found an interesting library called "optparse", which, does exactly that.

#!/usr/bin/env python

import optparse

def init():
p = optparse.OptionParser()
p.add_option("-l", "--long", action="store_true")
p.add_option("-n", "--name", default="there")

opts,args = p.parse_args()

if opts.long:
print "I welcome you",opts.name
else:
print "Hello", opts.name

if __name__ == "__main__":
init()

python optsample.py -nWorld
Hello World

python optsample.py --long -nWorld
I welcome you World

python optsample.py --help
Usage: optsample.py [options]

Options:
-h, --help show this help message and exit
-l, --long
-n NAME, --name=NAME

Maybe there's an optparse for c++?

pmasiar
April 26th, 2008, 11:57 PM
OP: no offense, but as such green newbie, you will be **much** better off to start learning with Python and not C++. See wiki in my sig for links, see sticky FAQ for discussion and poll why.

LaRoza
April 27th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Maybe there's an optparse for c++?

Use what is available for C, it will work the same I imagine.

OP: no offense, but as such green newbie, you will be **much** better off to start learning with Python and not C++. See wiki in my sig for links, see sticky FAQ for discussion and poll why.

Anything but C++ IMO.

RudolfMDLT
April 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks so much for all the replies guys! I'm used to getting flamed once or twice a year in this part of the forums! ;)

C++ is what the guys at varsity teach in Software 1, and it gets taken further next year in Software 2. I think they start off with C++ as later in the year the IDE to the PIC controllers work with C.

Anyway, for the sake of peace I won't ask what you guys have against C++. :) And as soon as this term's over I'll take your advice on Python to heart!

Thanks again for all the detailed replies, I really appreciate the time that went in to them!

Cheers,

Rudolf

LaRoza
April 27th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Anyway, for the sake of peace I won't ask what you guys have against C++. :) And as soon as this term's over I'll take your advice on Python to heart!

See the sticky on the Holy Wars thread...

WW
April 27th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Command line arguments, and they are passed as parameters to the main method. In

int main(char **argv, int argc)

argv is an array of strings which are the command line args, and argc is the number of said arguments.
CptPicard, you might want to fix your post. It should be argc first.

Patsoe
April 27th, 2008, 03:45 PM
A library that helps you do this in C++:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_35_0/doc/html/program_options.html

And yeah, python is fun too. Assuming you're on ubuntu, check out this doc package: http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/doc/diveintopython

Edit: Huh?? The Dive Into Python book is part of a default Hardy installation!? According to aptitude ubuntu-desktop depends on it. That's a bit unnecessary, or?