PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I remove the Ubuntu recovery partition in Dell 1420N from within Ubuntu?

bcasanov
April 26th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Hi,

I would like to remove the Feisty recovery partition that came with my Dell 1420N originally. I would like to do that within Nautilus, if at all possible. Is there a way to do it?

ibutho
April 26th, 2008, 04:30 PM
You could probably do this using partitioning tools such as gparted (should be listed somewere in the system menu).

bcasanov
April 26th, 2008, 04:44 PM
How is the partition identified in gparted?

ibutho
April 26th, 2008, 04:50 PM
How is the partition identified in gparted?
I don't own a dell laptop so can't be specific. On my maxdata laptop, its an NTFS partition.

bcasanov
April 26th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Hi, here I have attached a screenshot of what appears on gparted, so that could maybe help.

ibutho
April 26th, 2008, 05:17 PM
It seems like on your system, the rescue partitions are FAT (/dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2). I am not sure whether its normal for DELL to use two partitions for the rescue files.

bcasanov
April 26th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Do you think the partition with the larger space is the recovery partition?

neptho
April 26th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Leave the FAT16 partition alone; that's the diagnostic partition. You may safely remove /dev/sda2 if you choose.

bcasanov
April 26th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Thank you! I think I'll go ahead and delete the /dev/sd2 partition, which might just be the recovery partition.

bcasanov
April 26th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Okay, I deleted the partition. This screenshot is the result of what shows up in Gparted. I would like to merge this unused space back into my main / partition. How do I do that?

bcasanov
April 26th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Is it necessary to resize the /dev/sda6 partition?

gbrainin
April 26th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I'm pretty sure that gparted won't let you make changes to partitions that are mounted. If you want to make changes to your linux partitions, the easiest way is to run gparted from the live CD.

neptho
April 28th, 2008, 01:16 AM
You'll have to do it from the live CD. First, you'll have to add the space to your primary partition, then add it to whatever errxtended partition you wish.

chem199
April 29th, 2008, 07:19 AM
You can run "sudo umount /dev/sda2" that is the back up partition. but i recommend leaving it, it makes reinstall a breeze, incase there was a mistake with an upgrade and it is only 5Gbs so it is not like you're getting that much space. If you plan on keeping ubuntu on your dell, then you should prob keep it.

notwen
April 29th, 2008, 02:31 PM
You may want to wait until Dell releases it's custom image for the Inspiron 1420n. You can use this custom image to wipe all current partitions and setup your own before installing Hardy. I currently am running the custom Gutsy image and carry it around in my laptops bag in case a restore is needed on the go.