PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cheese slow after Hardy upgrade

TerpInHotLanta
April 26th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Has anyone noticed a huge slowdown in Cheese after upgrading to Hardy?

I have a PAN-V3 system.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Charlie

laserline
April 26th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hi,

The same with Darter Ultra (daru2)
Please see this other post and check if you are experiencing the same: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=764970

Thanks,
Idan.

kevin11951
April 26th, 2008, 04:50 PM
same here, gazv5 VERY slow web cam, but it works perfectly (better actually) in skype for some reason, so its just cheese.

thomasaaron
April 29th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I don't think this problem is hardware related. I think it is actually the cheese application. I think you will find that the webcam on skype actually runs at the correct speed.

kevin11951
June 14th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I don't think this problem is hardware related. I think it is actually the cheese application. I think you will find that the webcam on skype actually runs at the correct speed.

ok, but i really want to get cheese to work, is there anything i can do (besides downgrade to gutsy) that will help?

thomasaaron
June 16th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Your best bet would be filing a bug against Cheese here...
https://launchpad.net/cheese

unimatrix
February 27th, 2009, 02:54 PM
It's still like this under Intrepid.
I see noone bothered to submit a bug report.

thomasaaron
February 27th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Cheese is now fixed and running fine in Intrepid.

unimatrix
February 27th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I beg to differ.

thomasaaron
February 27th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Make sure you're fully updated. We just finished re-testing it on all of our shop machines, and it is working fine.

Also, if you are having trouble with it, it saves everyone a lot of time and energy if you include details. What happens? What are you seeing? What is your computer model? Otherwise, it is quite difficult to efficiently help you.

TerpInHotLanta
March 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure if this is the reason why there was a seeming slowdown of Cheese, but I found that the resolution (set under preferences) was defaulted to 1600x1200 for the webcam.

After adjusting the resolution down to 800x600, the webcam worked as I remember it working when I first got my system.

Did cheese previously have the default resolution lower so that many users felt as though there was a massive slowdown?

Hope this helps!

unimatrix
March 10th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Wow, you're right. I didn't even notice Cheese had preferences.
Obviously my ****** camera can't do high resolutions.
Reducing the resolution did the trick!

laserline
March 10th, 2009, 06:51 PM
My laptop's camera is 1.3MegaPixels (Daru2).

Just installed Cheese on Intrepid, it recognizes the resolution correctly (1280x1024) but it's dead slow.

The only resolution one step lower then that is 640x480 - and that's faster.

It's really odd...

Any clues ??

Thanks,
Idan.

thomasaaron
March 10th, 2009, 07:32 PM
It's *probably* a problem with the intel graphics driver (since resolution affects cheese's performance).

But, try disabling your desktop effects just to see if cheese speeds up. At least that will rule out a problem with compiz.

System > Prefs > Appearance > Visual Effects > None.

laserline
March 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hi Tom,

Disabled Compiz, it's still slow...

Idan.

thomasaaron
March 10th, 2009, 09:12 PM
OK. I'm pretty sure it is an issue with the intel driver. Try enabling backports in Software Sources and then fully update. Then reboot. See if that fixes it.

I'm sure I remember hearing about a problem with the Intel driver not reporting the resolution correctly to cheese.

tidris
April 18th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I am running ubuntu 8.10 with kernel 2.6.27-11 and I have also been experiencing a major slow down in cheese with the 1.3 megapixel internal webcam on my 2.4GHz dual core2 laptop. By major slow down I mean that that the video frame rate is several seconds between frames instead of several frames per second.

However today I discovered a way to make cheese work normally. What I do is open a terminal window and type this in it followed by Enter:

while true; do echo > /dev/null; done

That line runs a script that keeps the CPU busy. As long as that script is running cheese video runs at a reasonable frame rate. If the script stops the video goes back to ultra slow speed. Weird, eh?

earlra
November 22nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
I am having the same problem in 9.10. Cheese was working fine for me in 9.04. I'm having the same problem on two systems. I tried both recommendations above, for turning off visual effects, and enabling backports, neither of which had any effect. Any other suggestions?

thomasaaron
November 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Which System76 model do you have?

pelastikbintang
October 29th, 2010, 06:08 PM
try changing your video output from "ximagesink" (X Window System (No Xv)) to "xvimagesink" (X Window System (X11/XShm/Xv))

Alt-F2--> type "gstreamer-properties" without the "" ..change the video preference.