PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Connect to wireless network :S

JULEZAH
April 26th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Ok, i'm new to the linux world, and i just got my Netgear WG 311v3 wireless card working, via ndiswrapper.

The problem is this:
I can see the wireless network i want to connect to.
I click connect, change the type to TKIP (this is WPA Personal, btw) and then put in the password.
It seems to do something for a minute or so, then i get the input password screen again :S

I don't know what other information to give, so just ask :D

Any ideas ?

ajmorris
April 26th, 2008, 04:27 AM
It asking for the password again usually means the password is incorrect. If you are certain you are typing it correctly, consider changing the password in the router.

AJ

JULEZAH
April 26th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I'm sure the password is right.

Whenever i put the password in, the dialogue box appears again.

I NEED HELP!

HunterThomson
April 26th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Have you looked into other drivers available? Maybe try v2... after reading what has changed.... I think I remember reading about a driver wrapper other then ndiswrapper. Maybe, try that....

JULEZAH
April 26th, 2008, 04:54 AM
mmm well i've got the v3 version of the card, which sucks basically.
They changed the chipset to Marvel, so you have to use ndiswrapper.

hmmm....

tricky stuff.

HunterThomson
April 26th, 2008, 04:58 AM
I'll spend some time right now looking and report back...

Are you using 64bit or 32bit?

JULEZAH
April 26th, 2008, 05:02 AM
oooo thanks !

32-bit.

HunterThomson
April 26th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Cool, give me a sec... hopfuly we will be able to put it into Monitor mode and do Packet injection too:)

Also, try and change the password on your router gust to cover your bases and use WPA not WPA2 or vice versa. And try a different encryption like AES or why not use WEP? I know it is week but it will still stop people from randomly using your AP.

HunterThomson
April 26th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Here is an alternative driver that is suppose to be better. It is not the official NetGear driver... Still need to use Ndiswrapper

http://www.trendware.com/fr/asp/download_manager/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=690#

Have you tried to configure your driver in the terminal with

iwconfig

Owe. I mite be on to something here I am looking at

http://www.jimbo7.com/wiki/index.php?title=WG311v3#WPA-PSK_Passkey

You mite need to install wpa_supplicant with sudo apt-get install wpa_supplicant...

JULEZAH
April 26th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I've used iwconfig.

But configuring it?
nope :S

HunterThomson
April 26th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Ya, just read through that page try it out and report back.... It looks to me to be a complete guide and should work well. Ubutnu is a Debian based OS.

http://www.jimbo7.com/wiki/index.php?title=WG311v3#WPA-PSK_Passkey

JULEZAH
April 26th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I did that, until the part where you scan.

Terminal just did nothing.

HunterThomson
April 26th, 2008, 06:10 AM
ok one sec i am eating...

Ok I am back now. really did nothing???? Like nothing nothing??? Click on the network conettion icon on the top bar and see if it shows any networks.

also try ifconfig -a and see if it shows your wireless driver. Then try iwconfig Wlan0 up or was it ifconfig Wlan0 up... well try them both that order if the first one didn't work. Then try the command

iwlist wlan0 scan

again

HunterThomson
April 26th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Then report back.... Make sure you can get a signal from the router like sit right next to it to cover your bases.

JULEZAH
April 26th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Stiiiil nothing.

I have now deleted that driver and reverted back to the old Marvel one.
At least i am closer to the target :P

HunterThomson
April 26th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Ya that sounds like a good idea. So this one dose see network you just can't connect to the wpa right... To tell you the truth it would be a whole lot EZ'r to just change your router to WEP.... Do you have a reason why you would not want to do this? In any case try and install that wpa-supplicant.

sudo apt-get install wpa-supplicant

and configure it.... then report back.

The thing with this is that you should be able to connect to wpa with the driver you are now running... But do it anyway. Also, go to your routers HTTP configuration page and make sure everything is set up the way you think it is. I think it mite not be a problem with your driver at all.