PDA

View Full Version : Do you name your computers?

JewelledDragon13
April 25th, 2008, 11:32 PM
I always name my computers (along with pets, bikes, plants, and one time a sweater). They were:

Beth: Refab of a friend's old Windows 2000 machine named Aleph.

Dellorean: A Dell, now moribund.

Dionysus: My Ubuntu machine, because it's a lot of fun (theoretically, anyway).

What do you name your computers?

ACJarrett
April 25th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I've never named my computer, but i've named my Truck Shiela.

Fantastic idea, i'll have to name my next computer something nice :)

John T. Monkey
April 25th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Yes. My old box is called Holly, and my laptop is called Talky Toaster.

I like Red Dwarf... and I'm quite sad...

ticopelp
April 25th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I named my laptop Cherry Darling, because it's a Dell with a ruby red case, and I loved Planet Terror.

SunnyRabbiera
April 25th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I have not really named my computer but I do call her "girl" or "lady" sometimes

Lostincyberspace
April 25th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Of course my favorite is named Betty.

grannyw
April 25th, 2008, 11:51 PM
very interesting,i'll think about it

intense.ego
April 25th, 2008, 11:56 PM
http://www.backports.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=284229

soapytheclown
April 26th, 2008, 12:25 AM
all the computers in my house are named after animals.. so we have, hippo, lion, panther, dragon, gecko, elephant and the odd one out is my laptop... talv-laptop!

ShadowGray
April 26th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I did for a while, but then I realized I never really talked to them or talked about them enough to warrant a name.

But for the longest time my desktop was "command center" and my laptop was "battlecruiser"

I still use those names as network names though.

And this old P3 box I picked up I named Shadow2...

aaronhall555
April 26th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I name my personal computers for host name purposes, but they are logical names like; Abox for my desktop, because it is an Abox computer, and Lat for my laptop, because it is a Dell Latitude, while I have had more elaborate names for my previous computers in the past.

It helps to name your computers so you can easily distinguish which computer you are logged in to remotely.

Bölvağur
April 26th, 2008, 12:38 AM
You mean the box?!?
Of course not.. do you name your car?

dashnak
April 26th, 2008, 12:41 AM
My laptop is called lillith, my server is called GANTZ, my older desktop was called merrick, the one before that akasha, and my father baptized my car as optimus cougar.

BarfBag
April 26th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Absolutely! I'm typing this on Ana Lucia. :)

Bruce H. McCosar
April 26th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Computers (you almost have to think of this when you set the hostname):

Bermuda Depths (my desktop)
Currahee (my wife's desktop)
The Tenth Kingdom (the laptop)

This ties in to my musical instruments. I named them after the ships Captain Aubrey commanded (from the Patrick O'Brian "Aubrey" series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey%E2%80%93Maturin_series), eg Master and Commander). So I have Surprise, Nutmeg of Consolation, and Bellona, for instance.

LolItsGriff
April 26th, 2008, 12:54 AM
This computer is named Louise. I love her n ___n

popch
April 26th, 2008, 12:55 AM
If you have a network with several computers, you are bound to name them. If you have but one computer at a time, it appears to be a matter of temperament. I have never named my computers while there was only one in use. They were just 'the computer'. But then, I also never named my piano.

heartburnkid
April 26th, 2008, 12:58 AM
My desktop is "The Rig". And it's been "The Rig" ever since I started building in that old Antec tower, which has now been through 3 motherboards, 3 OS's, 4 hard drives, 4 optical drives, etc... and it'll still be "The Rig" after I've painted it (I love the case, but it hails from the "beige tower" days of computing, so I'm thinking I can do better). It's named for the weapon/instrument of torture from the Playstation game Wild 9 (which was always one of my favorites -- nobody made games quite like Shiny back in the day).

Saint Angeles
April 26th, 2008, 01:00 AM
my computer will someday take over all the world's computer systems... check out this picture if you don't believe me...

A$h X
April 26th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Most definitely. My very first PC was named SKYNET after the infamous mainframe/AI from the terminator movies. Now I've stuck to named all the devices in my household after the greek alphabet. So my current setup is:

Alpha 2 : My computer
Alpha 2a: External 60gb HD
Alpha 3: My smartphone

Beta 1: My brother's computer

Delta 1: Brother's laptop

Gamma 1: WRT54GSv4 router (running DD-WRT v23 sp1 firmware)

It keeps everything tidy on the home network and is really cool to see all the machines are online.

EDIT: Just saw saint angeles's computer name. Great minds think alike! :)

Joeb454
April 26th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Absolutely! I'm typing this on Ana Lucia. :)

Lost fan? Just a guess

I don't really name mine as such, if we're talking about network identity names then all the time.

My laptop is dante, and my server is sparda (look up Devil May Cry ;))

cardinals_fan
April 26th, 2008, 01:52 AM
My main box is called Platypus, and my ancient Dell is named Edward. I'm a freak :razz:

Those are the names on the network anyway. To avoid humiliation, I usually just call them "Gateway" and "Dell".

LaRoza
April 26th, 2008, 01:54 AM
I refer to them by their given names. (Company, Model, Model Number)

AndyCooll
April 26th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Definitely, since I have a network. All my pc's are named after Peanuts characters. This one is called Snoopy, the wife's is called Pigpen (for stereotyping reasons as well as the Peanuts theme!) etc etc.

:cool:

ibuclaw
April 26th, 2008, 01:58 AM
All my PCs have currently been concatenated variants of the word "Fred" and the OS I'm using on it.

My First PC was just plain "Fred"
My Second PC was "FredXP".
My Third PC was "Fredian"
My Fourth PC is "FredBuntu"
And my newest one I've dubbed "Fred-Studio", though it hasn't quite caught on like the others...
hmm... What could go with Fred and 64Studio???
I know, Fred64! *making mental note*

:popcorn:

ticopelp
April 26th, 2008, 02:02 AM
You mean the box?!?
Of course not.. do you name your car?

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/y54/ticopelp/sidelong.gif

kevdog
April 26th, 2008, 02:26 AM
If you run a small network, don't you want to name your computers??

I have
Homer
Bart
Maggie
Smithers

and a few others just about to come on line!

coldswede
April 26th, 2008, 02:34 AM
This ones "Lappy"
The Windows game machine is "Mech"
The Linux/BeOS box is "Tux"

My truck is "The Beast"
(It's old, loud, and just wont die)

intense.ego
April 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM
In case you guys missed my first post, there is already a thread about this.

HansKisaragi
April 26th, 2008, 12:01 PM
MY old pc was called Iris before it got taken a part, my new pc is called Nova.

insane_alien
April 26th, 2008, 12:49 PM
My big number crunches is called Zeus(because its massive and pretty powerful)
my laptop is called Hermes(portable)
my server is called TheAbyss(massive storage space)

i've ordered Hermes MkII because my thinkpad is showing signs of age(flaky wireless, CD drive no longer functions consistently, keyboard jams, screen has several rows of dead pixels, trackpoint fell off, speakers are broken, headphone jacks are broken, fan's clicking, HDD is full and slow and only 40GB, only 1 USB port on it works and on hinge is broken) i might turn the MkI into a nas but it doubt it will last very long, it has been through the wars.

TheAbyss is also getting a couple of upgrades and Zeus may get overclocked when i upgrade the cooling and perhaps add in a RAID0 working volume(the OS is on RAID1 as well as the current working directory, i may also add a separate drive for swap as well. a small WD raptor will do.

hessiess
April 26th, 2008, 12:58 PM
a-desktop and a-laptop

scouser73
April 26th, 2008, 01:52 PM
My pc is just called Desktop, sad I guess.

elmer_42
April 26th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I don't give them human names, but I do give them names. This one is named Mariner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariner_program), after the Mariner space program.

BorisK
April 26th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Nope, I don't name my computer.

jesusfreak107
April 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM
My main PC is Invictus. Vicky for short. It means "Unconquerable" in Latin. A really old Lappy I found in the garage recently, without a power cord (waiting anxiously for my new one...), I call Charlie, after our now much-loved Black Labrador, who showed up on our porch one day, injured, and starving, and we thought he was really old, because he was in such bad shape, and limping. I cannot name the family machines, though.

aaronhall555
April 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
In case you guys missed my first post, there is already a thread about this.

But that thread is lacking a cool poll so we can see the precentage of people that name their computer. Polls are awesome!

bribri124
April 26th, 2008, 05:48 PM
My names are...

1. Desktops - Milo & Nikkie (my two ferocious killer Jack Russells); DBC (my business http://desertbytescomputers.com)
2. Laptop - Booger (my niece)

klange
April 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM
The internal names on my two machines are simply "acerlaptop" and "UbuntuServer", the latter I usually refer to by the initials of its domain name: OGU (see my sig).

bobbocanfly
April 26th, 2008, 06:58 PM
all the computers in my house are named after animals.. so we have, hippo, lion, panther, dragon, gecko, elephant and the odd one out is my laptop... talv-laptop!

I do the same thing. I have penguin my server (the first computer i tried Linux on, hence penguin) and my desktop is called tiger.

Blue Heron
April 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Naming a object is a low characteristic

Helios1276
April 26th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Naming a object is a low characteristic

...wht? This is the second post of yours that I have come across that makes no sense what so ever.

freduardo
April 26th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I name my computers after characters from The Godfather.
My desktop was called VitoCorleone, my old laptop LucaBrasi and my old server Clemenza.

I've recently got a new laptop and turned my desktop into a server (and I got rid of Clemenza a while ago), so I need to rename some things now.
Plus, there's some other things that could do with a name as well (e.g. mobile phone, external hard drive, wireless essid, ...)

Not sure yet what it's going to be...

Dr Small
April 26th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Yes, I name my systems.

My first ubuntu system, back when I was new to ubuntu, was named drsmall.
Yes, that was a very simple name... drsmall@drsmall
That computer still exists, and runs Ubuntu 6.06

Then there is firefoxwiz-desktop, my sister's computer, running Ubuntu 7.04.

My computer, darkghost, was named after the new black shiny Antec case I got. It runs Ubuntu 7.04

My server's name is Mycroft. Named after Sherlock Holmes elder brother. It runs Ubuntu 7.04.

And then the latest system to begin using Ubuntu is called laptop. Yes, a very boring name, and I need to come up with something different, but at the time, I could not think of a name for it. It previously ran Windows XP Pro (until the bootsector had an error) and now proudly runs Ubuntu 7.04.

Dr Small

GOROSSI
April 26th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I name mine rather boringly but conveniently by my surname in capitals i.e

SURNAME for my main desktop system with devices such as my Palm called SURNAMEP.

SirThom
April 26th, 2008, 10:04 PM
This ubuntu box is called Archimedes.

My powerbook is called Woz, but the Hard Drive is called Turing.

I had a TRS-80 model 100 which I spraypainted blue and called Blue Ice. I was going to call it Sub Zero but I was informed that that was the name of a mortal kombat character.

My car is called The Black Plague and it's radar detector is Dimitri. Previous cars include Der Blaue Engel, El Toro, and Gadgetmobile

SuperSon!c
April 26th, 2008, 10:08 PM
don't you have to name it during the install anyway? different in a way, but not really.

SirThom
April 26th, 2008, 10:08 PM
i've ordered Hermes MkII because my thinkpad is showing signs of age(flaky wireless, CD drive no longer functions consistently, keyboard jams, screen has several rows of dead pixels, trackpoint fell off, speakers are broken, headphone jacks are broken, fan's clicking, HDD is full and slow and only 40GB, only 1 USB port on it works and on hinge is broken) i might turn the MkI into a nas but it doubt it will last very long, it has been through the wars.

Do screen's still get dead pixels? I remember 5-10 years ago, used laptops for sale would always advertise if they had any dead pixels. Now it's not even mentioned.

Also I remember it was always things like Active vs. Passive Matrix, single scan or dual scan. Are today's laptop screen's completely different?

SirThom
April 26th, 2008, 10:09 PM
don't you have to name it during the install anyway? different in a way, but not really.

The default is 'username'-laptop or something else probably for a desktop.

SuperSon!c
April 26th, 2008, 10:10 PM
right, so everybody should be voting "yes" :D

JewelledDragon13
May 1st, 2008, 05:05 AM
A friend of mine (the one I got Beth from) told me he'd never heard of anyone naming a computer after a girl before. Clearly he needs to get out more.

tuskenraider
May 1st, 2008, 07:02 AM
i name mine... all of which are a spin on hal9000.. linux-hal which im on now.. hal which is the desktop... virtual_hal is the email server.. and hal_server is the actual home server...

yeah so... i like 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001. you just gotta love that book series... and i wouldn't be surprised if one of them tried to kill me.

:lolflag: :lolflag:

tusken

chris4585
May 1st, 2008, 07:14 AM
I named my desktop Empu
My laptop is X-10

Rhapsody
May 1st, 2008, 07:27 AM
Yep.

San: Previous PC, dead motherboard. Pending extraction of remaining HD data.

Chihiro: Current PC, soon to have HD wiped and reused as parents' PC.

Shizuku: Next PC, really powerful. Should be fun.

MobiusNZ
May 1st, 2008, 07:29 AM
My home network pc's are named after red v blue: sarge, tucker, grif, caboose, church etc

Our ISP network is named after transformers: megatron, optimus, bumblebee, starscream etc

szymon_g
May 1st, 2008, 07:32 AM
mine is called Linugrat :>

iSplicer
May 1st, 2008, 07:34 AM
My PC is called PEGASUS the third, or PEGASUS-III

lol

amingv
May 1st, 2008, 07:36 AM
Agios, Lifenet, MI6 and server accompany me every day; they lend me their strength.

jjascarm
May 1st, 2008, 08:24 AM
No I don't name my computers, but i have a coffee cup that says "only my computer undestands me"
Not far from the truth is some situations, when I talk to my wife about computer she has NO IDEA what I am talking about

schtufbox
May 1st, 2008, 07:40 PM
My main PC is called 'Prometheus' my spare (currently a web/email server, is called 'Endymion'

linfidel
May 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM
I name them when I first set them up, for identification on the network. Originally, they were wine/grape names, and my workgroup is named "Grapevine". I had merlot first, then Thunderbird for my son. Then my new computer was going to be Zinfandel, but I misspelled it Zinfidel, and decided I liked that name better. When I first started running Linux, I named that one Linfidel, sort of like linux infidel, from the Windows perspective. I've now adopted Linfidel as a user name when it's available.

notwen
May 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
notnix - laptop
notserv - file server
notsafe - tinker box

notnix_00 - currently down
notnix_01 - bad mobo

will likely combine the last two. no time or need for either right now, lack time to really play w/ my machines as much as i would like to thee days. =]

SuperSon!c
May 1st, 2008, 09:32 PM
A friend of mine (the one I got Beth from) told me he'd never heard of anyone naming a computer after a girl before. Clearly he needs to get out more.

LOL, yes, clearly. i sure hope you're capt. sarcasm.

Gwasanaethau
May 2nd, 2008, 01:23 AM
We named one of our computers 'Garibaldi' after the security chief from Babylon 5. I've had 'Fujitsu' (reason probably being obvious) and 'Packard Bell' (for similar reasons). I now have 'Procyon', which comes up as 'Procyon-XP' when in XP, 'Procyon-Ubuntu' when in Feisty, and 'Procyon-Ubuntu-Hardy' when I've logged into the Hardy RC partition (I'm still testing it before moving over permanently).

al-fil
May 2nd, 2008, 01:53 AM
I name my computers after sci-fi computer/robots: HAL_9000 (2001: a Space Odyssey), R.Daneel Olivaw (Asimov robot series), Muthr('mother' from Alien), etc. I can be such a nerd sometimes...

SuperSon!c
May 2nd, 2008, 03:19 PM
LOL, yes, clearly. i sure hope you're capt. sarcasm.

jewelldragon?

jakupl
May 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM
mine is called bobby...

arsenic23
May 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
So that I can tell how old my machines are, every year I change the method I use to come up with names.

Years ago it was fictional space ships, so my main PC was name Woglinde.
There was a year where computers where named after their color and/or chess peices, so I ended up with PCs like RedRooster, WhiteQueen, BlackKing.
4 years ago it was characters from various Transformers properties, so I ended up with PCs with names like Cliffjumper and Megatron.
Last year was edible plants, so my server is named Peanut.
2008 is the year for literary characters who are also animals, so my new quadcore PC is name Bigby.

lazyart
May 2nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
My ubuntu desktop is named Calvin and my laptop MoCal (for Mobile Calvin). My domain controller (yes, it's windows) is named Hobbes.

regomodo
May 2nd, 2008, 04:52 PM
i have 2 pcs and laptop. Only one has been named and that is one of my pc's which is under the stairs constantly running Abaqus models. It's referred to as "the box".

drascus
May 2nd, 2008, 04:56 PM
I have a naming convention that goes along (sort of) with ubuntu. I always name it some sort of mechanical name and then some sort of animal name. So for instance the computer I am working on now is called Tin Weasel.

macogw
May 3rd, 2008, 06:01 AM
My laptop is named Ada. Next will be Grace. The planned theme is famous women in computing. Francis and Betty will happen eventually as well, along with the rest of the ENIAC women. Not sure what to do about there being 2 Bettys.

We named one of our computers 'Garibaldi' after the security chief from Babylon 5. I've had 'Fujitsu' (reason probably being obvious) and 'Packard Bell' (for similar reasons). I now have 'Procyon', which comes up as 'Procyon-XP' when in XP, 'Procyon-Ubuntu' when in Feisty, and 'Procyon-Ubuntu-Hardy' when I've logged into the Hardy RC partition (I'm still testing it before moving over permanently).

Hardy's not in RC anymore. If you've installed updates, that's the final version.

oyvindaa
May 3rd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Do I name my computers?

Errr...no not really.

jespdj
May 3rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
Do I name my computers?

Errr...no not really.
Ofcourse you do. Everybody names their computer. Even if you run Windows your computer has a name. If you don't know what the name of your computer is, open up a command prompt and type:

hostname
and it will tell you what the name of your computer is.

Mine are called jesper-laptop and jesper-desktop.

HangukMiguk
May 3rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
I've named my guitars in the past, but I have yet to name a computer.

I might start when I buy a laptop.

gareth_005
May 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
I name my pc's for networking purposes, they are all named DHARA## where the hash symbols are replaced with an arbitrary number which makes sense to me!

SuperSon!c
May 3rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Ofcourse you do. Everybody names their computer. Even if you run Windows your computer has a name. If you don't know what the name of your computer is, open up a command prompt and type:

hostname
and it will tell you what the name of your computer is.

Mine are called jesper-laptop and jesper-desktop.

well, the OS names it if you're unaware of the name, not you.

LaRoza
May 3rd, 2008, 01:44 PM
My laptop is named Ada. Next will be Grace. The planned theme is famous women in computing. Francis and Betty will happen eventually as well, along with the rest of the ENIAC women. Not sure what to do about there being 2 Bettys.

Betty S., Betty J.

Gwasanaethau
May 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
…Hardy's not in RC anymore. If you've installed updates, that's the final version.
Cool, thanks! :guitar:

illusionweaver
May 4th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I only name computers that I build, like my current desktop named Artemis and my sister desktop Apollo.

k33bz
May 4th, 2008, 07:55 PM
ya i do name all my computers. for home networking though.

Gorgoth
May 4th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Heh, mine are named just for the sake of lulz. The campus has various VLANs which are occasionally used for filesharing, so I tend to like scaring people with various names related to enforcing IP laws...

Of course, with my latest install, I've named them more relevant to my own little network, with the desktops named according to what they're running, and the laptop named TheAbductor, as it reflects the fact that I use it to use all the media I keep stored on the desktops :D

phrostbyte
May 4th, 2008, 11:33 PM
In order of receiving.

nautilus (not sure if this name had anything to do with the file manager)
farcaster (from some sci-fi book)
farcaster2
penguin (self explainitory)
olam (means "world" in Hebrew)

AFarris01
June 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I name tons of stuff, including my computers:

The Chuck wagon: My car (I used to deliver pizza)
Gretchen: My G-3 Rifle (ironically enough, the G parity was unintentional)
Ball-Masher: My pistol (Black Powder Remington 1850 army revolver)
BEC-LIN: My desktop's Ubuntu partition (stands for Big Expensive Computer)
BEC-WIN: MY desktop's WinXP partition
DontDropMe: My Laptop

RSingh
June 12th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I like keeping a name, gives the machine a more of a personality.

Desktop: Anaconda (No idea how that came about)
Laptop: Procyon (Just too much into astronomy):)

Lord Xeb
June 12th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I name my computers only so they can be identified on a network.

KingTermite
June 12th, 2008, 09:14 PM
You have to name your computer. Its required to have a computer name...you even have to choose one when you install. ;)

JewelledDragon13
September 26th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Our comps would get along. My desktop Dionysus has just been joined by my new laptop Mercury (pardon the combination of Greek and Roman).

oldsoundguy
September 26th, 2008, 05:54 AM
I name mine as to function and location. (since I have 5 working on line)

zxscooby
September 26th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I name mine after famous geeks.
like Eugene and Walter.

tallerboy22
September 26th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Ya..I kep my box name as

mydabba

lanr01
September 26th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Yeppers..
The kids machine is "Kids Machine" and the main box in our bedroom is called
"Mother and Master" as that is an inside joke from when my wife and I first got married a few years back..