PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New mysql user cant login

uknowho008
April 25th, 2008, 09:45 PM
i installed a lamp setup with the following.

sudo apt-get install apache2 php5 mysql-server php5-mysql

ive set this up before but dont remember exactly which packages i used. anyhow it seems to work accept i cant seem to loging with the new user account. i add a user with a password and select all priveleges but then i log out and try to log in with the new account and i get this error everytime. did i forget something? thanks.

#1045 - Access denied for user 'uknowho008'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Monicker
April 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Did you do "flush privileges;" after creating the new user?

uknowho008
April 25th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Did you do "flush privileges;" after creating the new user?

yes, its still not working.

Monicker
April 25th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I would verify that same uername was not created with different host specifications and passwords.

from the mysql cli:

use mysql;
select User,Host,Password from user where User='uknowho008';

I've accidentally done it myself before, where I had 'johndoe'@'localhost' with one password and 'johndoe'@'hostname' with a different password.

uknowho008
April 25th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I would verify that same uername was not created with different host specifications and passwords.

from the mysql cli:

use mysql;
select User,Host,Password from user where User='uknowho008';

I've accidentally done it myself before, where I had 'johndoe'@'localhost' with one password and 'johndoe'@'hostname' with a different password.

what am i checking here? just that there is only one entry? there is only one entry and host is set to % for any i believe. the password is encrypted but the first character is a * and ive never seen that before. is that correct?

Monicker
April 25th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Ahh. You mentioned earlier that the account had been created as a localhost account. I have seen this before, where mysql will not let an account access directly from the local machine unless its account is specifically for 'user'@'localhost'.

Try to connect to that account from a machine other than the mysql server. If that works, create the same username @ localhost with the same password.

uknowho008
April 25th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Ahh. You mentioned earlier that the account had been created as a localhost account. I have seen this before, where mysql will not let an account access directly from the local machine unless its account is specifically for 'user'@'localhost'.

Try to connect to that account from a machine other than the mysql server. If that works, create the same username @ localhost with the same password.

hmmm... well i tried logging in with another machine and it didnt work. but then i changed the host to localhost anyways and it worked. so i guess thats all i need. thanks for helping me figure this out.

Sarteck
September 25th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Thank you very much!

I was having this problem with every new user I created, and I was having to use "root" for a while instead of the usernames I created. XD

Adding the host 'localhost' solved it--those usernames finally work. :)