PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade download rates!

suprfish
April 25th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Thought I'd be clever and wait a few before I tried upgrading via the Update Manager... looks like I'll have to wait a few more ;D

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/8194/dlratete2.jpg

(or torrent...)

FuturePilot
April 25th, 2008, 09:32 PM
That's nothing. Look at this one. (attachment)
:shock::shock:

spamzilla
April 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I sure hope Canonical will upgrade their servers for the 8.10 release, as this site, ubuntu.com, the repos, and anything else on their servers is crawling along.

It only took me <2 hours to download the ISO on the day Hardy was released, but things have seemed to have slowed down since then.

toupeiro
April 25th, 2008, 09:47 PM
As for a different outlook on this situation, isn't it awesome? I mean seriously, doesn't this directly relate to the growth of this desktop and server platform? Yes, I hope they upgrade too, but I can't help but smile a little bit at the same time.

Kosimo
April 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hey, why don't you get .torrents? Is much better for you guys and you'll give a hand to ubuntu servers.

My torrent download rate: 940kbps

smoker
April 25th, 2008, 09:52 PM
As for a different outlook on this situation, isn't it awesome? I mean seriously, doesn't this directly relate to the growth of this desktop and server platform? Yes, I hope they upgrade too, but I can't help but smile a little bit at the same time.

exactly what i was thinking, there must be serious ubuntu use happening, it would be great to see some figures on the downloads if possible,
:lolflag:

uknowho008
April 25th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Hey, why don't you get .torrents? Is much better for you guys and you'll give a hand to ubuntu servers.

My torrent download rate: 940kbps

i dont understand why they dont push torrents more. they make you go search for them instead of having them right on the download page?

spamzilla
April 25th, 2008, 10:05 PM
i dont understand why they dont push torrents more. they make you go search for them instead of having them right on the download page?

I tried to download a torrent, but I couldn't change to IP to a static address, so I gave up.

I remember last release, the repo-slowness was no where near as bad as it is for Hardy, so ya, Ubuntu really has grown a lot over the last 6 months. I can only imagine Ibex will be worse, unless Canonical get some beasty servers in.

ACJarrett
April 25th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Torrent is definately the way to go. I managed to get up to 1 mb/s download speed.

I also noticed something odd. The torrent speed was crawling at a slow 2-3kb/s until i started to download the iso from one of the links off the main site. It jumped dramatically and downloaded a good 500x faster than before. I paused the download to see how it would affect the torrent and the torrent slowed back down, and so forth. Still not quite sure how two different files downloading into two different locations would effect eachother that way... But feel free to try it if you're geting slow speeds.:guitar:

suprfish
April 25th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I sure hope Canonical will upgrade their servers for the 8.10 release, as this site, ubuntu.com, the repos, and anything else on their servers is crawling along.

It only took me <2 hours to download the ISO on the day Hardy was released, but things have seemed to have slowed down since then.

I didn't mean 'Upgrade download rates!' as in "Upgrade the download rates [of the files needed to upgrade]" more like "Download rates of the files needed to upgrade!"
That'd be nice too, though :D

Anyone know where there are public usage statistics for Ubuntu (not Distrowatch)?

uknowho008
April 25th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Torrent is definately the way to go. I managed to get up to 1 mb/s download speed.

I also noticed something odd. The torrent speed was crawling at a slow 2-3kb/s until i started to download the iso from one of the links off the main site. It jumped dramatically and downloaded a good 500x faster than before. I paused the download to see how it would affect the torrent and the torrent slowed back down, and so forth. Still not quite sure how two different files downloading into two different locations would effect eachother that way... But feel free to try it if you're geting slow speeds.:guitar:

i think it has to do with isp throttling. ive noticed that too in some cases.

jespdj
April 25th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Use a torrent or a local mirror to download your Hardy Heron!

I downloaded it from a local mirror with 1600 KB/s (I have a 20 Mbit/s Internet connection) - so it took less than 10 minutes to download the ISO image.

TeoK
April 25th, 2008, 10:38 PM
exactly what i was thinking, there must be serious ubuntu use happening,
:lolflag:

i'd second that

also - torrent is the way to go.
direct download was a crawl and it did not pass md5sum

I'm relative noob , started with feisty then gutsy..and I witnessed a definitive explosion of popularity, probably due to significant advantages of Ubuntu over everything else.

numbers seem to support that

http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity