PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there an alternate DVD for Hardy Heron?

jjramsey
April 25th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I've noticed that one is supposed to be able to upgrade from the alternate CD/DVD, but I've only seen the alternate CD so far and torrents for what is presumably the regular live DVD. Am I missing something somewhere?

lewisskinner
April 25th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Why do you want the DVD? The CD will work just fine, download a lot quicker, take up less space on your haddrive and then you can still install the packages you want at a later date as and when you need them!

jjramsey
April 25th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Why do you want the DVD? The CD will work just fine, download a lot quicker, take up less space on your haddrive and then you can still install the packages you want at a later date as and when you need them!

For one, I want the packages on the DVD as backup, just in case, and the desktop CD doesn't have all the packages I want.

lewisskinner
April 25th, 2008, 03:55 PM
If you want the DVD, you may have to order a free DVD (or buy it if you want it quicker) as I don't think Ubuntu officially has downloadable DVD version.

Either that, or you may be able to get it as a .torrent file if you look around.

jjramsey
April 26th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Turns out that there is no "alternate" DVD, but rather that the normal DVD can be used for upgrading just as the alternate CD would. I'm upgrading now.

BTW, torrents for the DVDs are available here: http://torrent.ubuntu.com/releases/hardy/release/dvd/