PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [Solved] My Hardy is not working

Michael.Godawski
April 25th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I have installed Hardy today via the alternate CD. CD has no defects. Burnt slowly.

Nothing works. I run through the installation process just fine. Then the GUI starts, everything is ok. But essential aplications like the Hardware Drivers or Synaptic or the terminal do not want to lauch. I get no error messages or crash report whatsoever.

Anyone a clue?
My Hardy is not usable at the moment, must reinstall Gutsy. I hope this will change.

My stats are:
Dell Laptop
Ati xpress 1150
2 Ghz
2 GB Ram

but I guess that is not a hardware issue.

Michael.Godawski
April 25th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Am I the only one? I hope so for the sake of Ubuntu. But some hints would be nice.

Saya
April 25th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Can you check the original .iso-file's MD5?

mivo
April 25th, 2008, 08:04 AM
The first thing I'd try is downloading and burning the desktop live CD, then boot from it and see if everything works. If it does, reinstall from that CD. If you encounter problems again, you can at least rule out the disk as a possible source of the problems.

Michael.Godawski
April 25th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Hey Saya,
I checked the md5 and everything was fine. I verified the data after the burning and again no issues. Could it be that I just ran into a very unique compatibility issue with the new release? But my graphic is fine, sound is fine, applications do not start and even the places like documents or home folder won`t open. I am really stucked.

Michael.Godawski
April 25th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Mivo,

yes that is one thing I can do. I thought the alternate installation is more stable and secure than the live install. As I said weird thing. Will dowload the live Cd now.

warbread
April 25th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I have installed Hardy today via the alternate CD. CD has no defects. Burnt slowly.

Nothing works. I run through the installation process just fine. Then the GUI starts, everything is ok. But essential aplications like the Hardware Drivers or Synaptic or the terminal do not want to lauch. I get no error messages or crash report whatsoever.

There's got to be an underlying relationship between these programs . What does work? Gedit? Totem? Anything?

HunterThomson
April 25th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I know it is vary vary new like by hr's but try

sudo apt-get update

then just try to re download and re burn and re install.

Michael.Godawski
April 25th, 2008, 08:47 AM
What does work? Gedit? Totem? Anything?

Well the calculator works.:(
None of the administrative apps which can be found in preferences and administration launches. Perhaps I just download again and reisntall. Will use a new disc now and hope for the best. I know the inofrmation I give you are not very specific so the suggestion you can make are vague too. thx for the time though. If I make a progress I will tell you here.

zvacet
April 25th, 2008, 08:51 AM
@ Michael.Godawski

If live Cd works and alternate CD Is O.K. why donīt you just upgrade with alternate CD?If both discs are good there should not be a problem to do that.Here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades?highlight=%28CategoryDocumentation%2 9)

Michael.Godawski
April 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
ok some update:

have tried out ubuntu, xubuntu and kubntu 8.04. None of them can be used as my main operating system now because, the terminal, the network applet and synaptic are not working. Perhaps even more applications but I do not feel like just trying because I do not get any crash report or errors, so it is a moot point.

Have tried fresh install and upgrades, always with the same result: essential apps are not launching.

I am now on Xubuntu 7.10. Everything works fine. So my hardware can handle ubuntu and xubuntu. I have no idea what to do now. I am just little upset.:(

Michael.Godawski
May 2nd, 2008, 08:19 AM
Solved

The new kernel was the culprit.
I once again did an upgrade, so the old kernel would be maintained.
I boot into the 22 kernel and everything is working flawlessly. Internet, Sound, Graphics everything works now.

I hope the kernel will be fixed soon, but finally I have arrived. I am on Hardy.:)