PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 won't boot

darcyb
April 25th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I have an intel dual core MacBook from last year.

I downloaded ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso, burned it using Toast, and let the verification complete. No problems.

I put the disc in, reset the Mac and hold down the C key. When the computer starts up, it reads the disc for a bit, then resumes booting into OS X.

Did I download the wrong image? Or should I burn with Disk Utility? Or? I can't get the CD to boot. :(

piano08man
April 25th, 2008, 07:45 AM
you should download the amd 64 version for that machine. Also, I personally burned mine through disk utility. Had better luck there than I did through Toast for some reason. Hope that helps.

Josh

cyberdork33
April 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM
you should download the amd 64 version for that machine. Also, I personally burned mine through disk utility. Had better luck there than I did through Toast for some reason. Hope that helps.

You do not have to use the amd64 version, but you can if you want to.

Burn the slowest possible speed.

darcyb
April 26th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Yep, I get the same non-booting result from the AMD64 iso. I'll try burning at 8x instead of 24x this time.

cyberdork33
April 26th, 2008, 01:23 AM
try burning at 2x

darcyb
April 26th, 2008, 01:45 AM
8X was as low as Disk Utility would allow.

I managed to boot finally. I had to hold down the OPTION key to get the CD to show up as a choice, and then I booted from there. My Mac's been doing that a bit lately. I've been loosing the ability to boot off of Firewire drives unless I hold down the option key. I haven't had trouble booting off of OS X install CDs though by holding down the C key. Weird.

Does that sound like a partition corruption from my last Bootcamp install crash, or a PRAM zap opportunity?

So I'm going to try installing Ubuntu now and see how I fare. I don't know how to use the airport on this Macbook using Ubuntu yet. That's another challenge for another day. :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

BIGtrouble77
April 26th, 2008, 03:32 AM
I have to hold the [alt] key when my system is booting. Maybe that will work for you?

darcyb
April 26th, 2008, 04:58 PM
The CD shows up in the Startup disk part of System prefs now too. All that is solved.

Not that I can get it installed and booting, even with refit. :)

From the live cd, I used gpartition to create space after my OS X partition, and installed Ubuntu into there. No problems. The installer setup a swap and ext2 space and completes installation.

Then when I rebooted the Mac, I got a black screen saying, "no bootable device found -- insert disc etc."

I rebooted into OS X holding down the option key, installed refit, and rebooted. From the refit screen, I chose the Linux option for my internal HD. It then sat on the grey screen with penguin in the middle indefinitely and didn't boot Ubuntu.

I give up. :) This is beyond me.

piano08man
April 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Did you install the GRUB bootloader onto your ubuntu partition? It's the very last step before ubuntu actually installs. You have to click advanced.

darcyb
April 27th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Did you install the GRUB bootloader onto your ubuntu partition? It's the very last step before ubuntu actually installs. You have to click advanced.I noticed it installing GRUB at the end of its install process. It may not have marked the boot partition as bootable.

ThatGuyThere
April 27th, 2008, 05:30 AM
The CD shows up in the Startup disk part of System prefs now too. All that is solved.

Not that I can get it installed and booting, even with refit. :)

From the live cd, I used gpartition to create space after my OS X partition, and installed Ubuntu into there. No problems. The installer setup a swap and ext2 space and completes installation.

Then when I rebooted the Mac, I got a black screen saying, "no bootable device found -- insert disc etc."

I rebooted into OS X holding down the option key, installed refit, and rebooted. From the refit screen, I chose the Linux option for my internal HD. It then sat on the grey screen with penguin in the middle indefinitely and didn't boot Ubuntu.

I give up. :) This is beyond me.

This is a known issue. When you get to the rEFIt bootup screen, go to the partitioner. Tell it to update the tables, then try it. That's what worked for me.

darcyb
April 27th, 2008, 06:05 AM
This is a known issue. When you get to the rEFIt bootup screen, go to the partitioner. Tell it to update the tables, then try it. That's what worked for me.Before I let refit update the tables, I would bet a black screen with "no bootable device" errors. When I let refit update the tables, it wouldn't get past the centered penguin on grey background display. I let it sit for 5 minutes just in case, but ubuntu didn't boot.

Did you change the partition map in Disk Utility to MBR instead of GUID or anything?

mrsteveman1
April 27th, 2008, 06:17 AM
I would install Ubuntu over again, but first use the disk utility in OS X to reset all the partition data. Create a single large partition after OS X and use that for Ubuntu. You really don't need a boot partition it just makes things more complicated.

Then go into refit and sync the partition tables to make sure the MBR table is correct.

When you get to the Ubuntu installer, make sure you tell it to install grub to the ubuntu partition itself by going in to that advanced menu at the end. There should be 3 partitions on the disk at this point, the EFI partition, OS X, and Ubuntu. The disk number to use for grub should be (hd0,2) or (hd0,3), i can't remember if partition numbers start at 0 or 1, perhaps someone else remembers.

darcyb
April 27th, 2008, 06:22 AM
mrsteveman1, doesn't Ubuntu need two partitions for itself, one for the OS+software (ext2) and the other for virtual memory (SWAP) ? So there would be:

EFI
OS X
ext2
swap

(I'm not saying I would create more than one partition after the OSX one, because Ubuntu would split that extra one into two on its own.)

If there was a boot partition created, it's whatever the default Ubuntu install process creates. I've never intentionally created one. I hadn't tried the advanced menu though. Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.

Klondike
April 27th, 2008, 06:26 AM
For the record darcyb, I'm having the identical problem as you, and am about to try the Advanced stuff at the end of the process for the first time. And yeah, I've used a swap partition for my installs of Feisty and Gutsy before without a problem. I also never needed to choose where to put the bootloader, or go into Refit and sync my MBR. :/

darcyb
April 27th, 2008, 06:38 AM
For the record darcyb, I'm having the identical problem as youGood to know. If you figure it out before I do, be sure to share. :) I'll do the same.

billbear
April 27th, 2008, 06:39 AM
darcyb:
Open a terminal in OS X and type
diskutil list
sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0
and copy the output of the command here please.

darcyb
April 27th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I've since gone back to one partition for OS X until my next attempt, but here goes:

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *111.8 Gi disk0
1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Cloud 111.5 Gi disk0s2

Disk: /dev/rdisk0 geometry: 14593/255/63 [234441648 sectors]
Signature: 0xAA55
Starting Ending
#: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1: EE 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 1 - 234441647] <Unknown ID>
2: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused
3: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused
4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused

mrsteveman1
April 27th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Yea if you want swap that would be a 4th partition, i tend to leave out swap because you can do everything swap is used for with files on the main partition, virtual memory can be in a file, as can hibernation files.

Definitely don't let the Ubuntu installer do whatever it wants, choose manual partitioning when it asks in the installer.

darcyb
April 27th, 2008, 07:05 AM
mrsteveman1, what kinds of steps are required to tell a linux system to use a swap file on the main partition instead of a dedicated swap partition?

billbear
April 27th, 2008, 07:11 AM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

Klondike
April 27th, 2008, 07:15 AM
darcyb, it also details how to do swap via a file on a Macbook specifically, on the Macbook wiki page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook#head-7f47b65e1308404abd73a8f42e2d0a4c0c49f431

I'm at the point now where I synced my GPT and MBR tables and got it to hang on the penguin, that took me a little while. I'm booting into the Hardy live CD again to reinstall but putting GRUB onto my ext3 partition. I'm gonna keep the 512MB swap partition, it's always worked before.

Klondike
April 27th, 2008, 07:34 AM
OK, so, after I installed again, and resynced my GPT table to my MBR table with rEFIt, I still hung on the tux.

I saw on another thread that I might have better luck by bypassing rEFIt, and holding down the Alt/Option key on boot and selecting the 'Windows' partition from that menu. And it worked! I just booted into Hardy.

So, until whatever stupid bugs are plaguing the Hardy installer for Macs are fixed, looks like I'm holding down the Alt/Option key on boot, every boot.

Klondike
April 27th, 2008, 07:55 AM
OK, so, after I installed again, and resynced my GPT table to my MBR table with rEFIt, I still hung on the tux.

I saw on another thread that I might have better luck by bypassing rEFIt, and holding down the Alt/Option key on boot and selecting the 'Windows' partition from that menu. And it worked! I just booted into Hardy.

So, until whatever stupid bugs are plaguing the Hardy installer for Macs are fixed, looks like I'm holding down the Alt/Option key on boot, every boot.

billbear
April 27th, 2008, 09:15 AM

That is very strange,can you please open a terminal in OS X and type
diskutil list
sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0
and copy the output of the command here.

And also run rEFIt Partition Inspector, copy what you get.

I can use rEFIt to boot hardy without problems, i did not use rEFIt to sync GPT/MBR, instead i rebuilt the MBR partition table manually in terminal. But i don't think this will make any difference.

russo.mic
April 27th, 2008, 11:11 AM
mrsteveman1, doesn't Ubuntu need two partitions for itself, one for the OS+software (ext2) and the other for virtual memory (SWAP) ? So there would be:

EFI
OS X
ext2
swap

(I'm not saying I would create more than one partition after the OSX one, because Ubuntu would split that extra one into two on its own.)

If there was a boot partition created, it's whatever the default Ubuntu install process creates. I've never intentionally created one. I hadn't tried the advanced menu though. Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.

You don't HAVE to have a swap partition. If you want to , you can just ignore it's warning. I don't have a swap, and I'm running on my MBP just fine.

Make sure, on the last screen of the install, you click advanced, and you have it install grub on the ubuntu partiton only, i.e., /dev/sda3, or /dev/sda2, or whatever.

Russo

cyberdork33
April 27th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I rebooted into OS X holding down the option key, installed refit, and rebooted. From the refit screen, I chose the Linux option for my internal HD. It then sat on the grey screen with penguin in the middle indefinitely and didn't boot Ubuntu.I had that problem after installing too, but it went away somehow.

Be careful about changing the boot flags. also, note that you will change the boot flags on your GPT and MBR table differently and it can get tricky.

For the record darcyb, I'm having the identical problem as you, and am about to try the Advanced stuff at the end of the process for the first time. And yeah, I've used a swap partition for my installs of Feisty and Gutsy before without a problem. I also never needed to choose where to put the bootloader, or go into Refit and sync my MBR. :/It is a new bug in the hardy installer. It did not have this behavior in Gutsy.

If you are only planning to dual-boot (no winows). use gparted to completely delete the partition that you made to put Ubuntu on, start the installer, and choose to install to the largest free space. that will create a root and swap partition for you.

darcyb
April 27th, 2008, 05:28 PM
If you are only planning to dual-boot (no winows). use gparted to completely delete the partition that you made to put Ubuntu on, start the installer, and choose to install to the largest free space. that will create a root and swap partition for you.

That's what I kept trying to do, but I didn't go to advanced.

Do I have to change the partition format from OS X at all? It's ok to stick with GUID in the options section of Disk Utility when the Macbook's internal drive is selected?

cyberdork33
April 27th, 2008, 05:34 PM
That's what I kept trying to do, but I didn't go to advanced.
no need unless you want to triple boot.

Do I have to change the partition format from OS X at all? It's ok to stick with GUID in the options section of Disk Utility when the Macbook's internal drive is selected?stop using diskutility. once you have made space for Ubuntu, no matter what partition format you are using, boot from the Ubuntu LiveCD, start the partition editor (gparted) and delete the partition you made for Ubuntu. Then choose to install to the free space in the installer.

getting stuck at the tux screen is still unresolved, but you should be able to hold Option at the start to select the "windows" partition to start Ubuntu. I got the refit problem initially but once I had rebooted a few times it worked properly.

darcyb
April 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks cyberdork33. I'm off to try just that.

I have tried the option key technique after each ubuntu installation attempt, and 'windows' never appeared as a boot choice. We'll see if that happens again.

cyberdork33
April 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks cyberdork33. I'm off to try just that.

I have tried the option key technique after each ubuntu installation attempt, and 'windows' never appeared as a boot choice. We'll see if that happens again.Yes I saw that, but that is really the only way unfortunately. If you still have trouble, boot into the live cd and post the output of:

sudo parted /dev/sda print
and

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

BTW that is a lowercase L not an uppercase i

darcyb
April 27th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Make sure, on the last screen of the install, you click advanced, and you have it install grub on the ubuntu partiton only, i.e., /dev/sda3, or /dev/sda2, or whatever.

Ok, I'm in the advanced section to see where GRUB is going. The installation summary screen says that I'm installing to partition #3 and #4 of SCSI3 (0,1,0)(sda) as ext3 and swap.

But in the advanced menu, I have:

/dev/sda
/dev/sda-1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3

Where's the 1:1 ratio in text description? How do I know that the text partition #3 = /dev/sda2, and not /dev/sda3, or is it always respective? So if the mount point partition is partition #3, then I should put the boot loader on /dev/sda2 and expect /sda3 to be the swap?

When I tried to not have a swap partition as was also suggested in this very helpful thread, the advanced menu showed that I had /dev/sda-1 twice, and sda3 was still the highest counter, which still left me confused. Without a swap partition, the advanced menu boot loader combo showed:

/dev/sda
/dev/sda-1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3
/dev/sda-1

In exactly that order. Why is is showing /dev/sda-1 twice?

Before I started the installation, I launched gparted to see what things looked like. I wanted to make sure that I did have 15GB of unallocated space after my OS X partition, and I did. What is this 200MB EFI partition that is the first partition? And why does it have a bootable flag set?

darcyb
April 27th, 2008, 06:24 PM
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 14594 117220823+ ee EFI GPT

sudo parted /dev/sda print

Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 20.5kB 210MB 210MB fat32 EFI System Partition msftres
2 210MB 103GB 102GB hfs+ Untitled

Klondike
April 27th, 2008, 07:25 PM
This is, leaving out false starts, the process that worked for me:

1.) Install OS X on entire disk.
2.) Use Boot Camp Assistant to partition drive, making most of the drive empty space for Linux.
3.) Installed rEFIt.
4.) Booted from Hardy Live CD.
5.) Used installer's partitioner to create two partitions, one ext3 mounted at / using all but 512MB (/dev/sda3), and one swap using 512 MB (/dev/sda4).
6.) At the end of the install, installed the GRUB loader onto /dev/sda3.
7.) Rebooted into rEFIt, ran Partition Tool, synced tables.
8.) Rebooted, held Alt/Option, selected "Windows" and booted into Hardy.

I do not believe step #6 was necessary, from what I've read, but it doesn't hurt.
At step #7, selecting to boot Linux from rEFIt hung on Tux indefinitely.

darcyb, have you tried doing steps #5 through #8 like I did? If not, ignore your concerns about odd partition labels in the GRUB loader dialogue, and give it a try.

darcyb
April 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Klondike, the only thing I've done differently is not use Bootcamp.

When I let refit sync the mbr, it displays an error about gtpar(something).efi, and says "won't touch this disk".

Does bootcamp change the partition mapping for the hard disk from GUID to MBR only?

mrsteveman1
April 27th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Bootcamp changes the first block on the disk, the MBR, from showing one EE partition covering the whole thing which protects the disk from being screwed with by old operating systems, to whatever is actually on the disk.

It should just put entries in the MBR to reflect where the partitions are on the disk. The GPT partition tables remain of course, as does the EFI partition at the start of the disk.

Klondike
April 28th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Do you have any objection to attempting the process again, but beginning with Boot Camp?

cyberdork33
April 28th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Why is is showing /dev/sda-1 twice? I wouldn't worry about that as the partition you install to doesn't matter for your goal. just leave it alone.

What is this 200MB EFI partition that is the first partition? And why does it have a bootable flag set?That is a EFI system parttion. We all have it, don't mess with it. It is where firmware updates are stored, and you can also put some other things there, but that is another thread.

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
You have problems here. You really have nothing in your MBR table. That is what syncing should fix, however....

sudo parted /dev/sda printYou have some other issues... you gpt partition table looks to be messed up. You should be able to use parted to fix this, but I am not familiar with it enough to tell you how. Billbear is probably your best bet here. I wouldn't try to install or anything until you get your partition table fixed. If nothing else, you are looking at a full OSX reinstall.

darcyb
April 28th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Do you have any objection to attempting the process again, but beginning with Boot Camp?I have. No luck. I even got a new error screen I had never seen before.

After Boot Camp split my drive into two partitions, I booted the live ubuntu cd and ran gparted. It showed that Bootcamp added 2 partitions. It created a blank 128mb partition after the OS X one, and then its own fat32 one. I wasn't sure to delete the two and create one unallocated space, or just install into the fat32 one after the 128mb blank space. So I deleted the extra one, left in the 128mb blank, and installed ubuntu into one ext3 / partition.

Installation finished, the computer rebooted, and it tried to boot into the new OS install ignoring refit, and gave me the classic "no bootable device found -- insert system disk and press enter" error I've had for days now.

I rebooted holding down the option key, to choose the foreign OS diagonal squares icon from refit, and got the new error. A black screen with white text saying, "no operating system found."

I rebooted holding down the option key, to get to refit and sync the mbr. I synced the mbr and rebooted.

refit menu came up, and I chose the foreign OS icon. I pressed enter. It just sat there with that icon in the middle of the screen and didn't do anything else.

So I rebooted into the live cd, and tried setting the boot flag on the ext3 / partition. Another reboot, sync of the mbr or whatever, and the foreign OS icon sat in the middle of the screen doing nothing like before.

I can't seem to crack this nut. I've tried it with or without GRUB, with or without Boot Camp, with or without a SWAP partition, with or without boot flags, with or without refit and with or without the first 200MB EFI partition. After 3 days of permutations, I'm quite dizzy. :) I'm unable to reproduce the successes had. Thanks for trying to get me there though! I deeply appreciate it.

I've gone back to one partition and will just stick to OS X land until I get the courage to try again.

urschrei
May 1st, 2008, 01:51 AM
I've just installed 8.04 on my Powerbook (PPC) from the alternate install CD. Installation appears to have gone smoothly, but my system hangs at boot every time just after returning from prom_init with the following error:

PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0001:10:18:0
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0001:10:19:0

There's a faint line across the bottom of the otherwise black screen, but nothing else.
This was a clean install on a formatted disk, there's nothing else on it.

What do I do now?

cyberdork33
May 1st, 2008, 03:53 AM
I've just installed 8.04 on my Powerbook (PPC) from the alternate install CD. Installation appears to have gone smoothly, but my system hangs at boot every time just after returning from prom_init with the following error:

PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0001:10:18:0
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0001:10:19:0

There's a faint line across the bottom of the otherwise black screen, but nothing else.
This was a clean install on a formatted disk, there's nothing else on it.

What do I do now?
I think you have replied to the wrong thread... this is about Intel Macs.

flaggh
May 2nd, 2008, 12:39 AM
@darcyb

I was having similar problems. I followed the instructions on this thread and now everything works:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=541902&page=2

Hope you have similar success.

FreakinSyco
May 2nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
This is, leaving out false starts, the process that worked for me:

1.) Install OS X on entire disk.
2.) Use Boot Camp Assistant to partition drive, making most of the drive empty space for Linux.
3.) Installed rEFIt.
4.) Booted from Hardy Live CD.
5.) Used installer's partitioner to create two partitions, one ext3 mounted at / using all but 512MB (/dev/sda3), and one swap using 512 MB (/dev/sda4).
6.) At the end of the install, installed the GRUB loader onto /dev/sda3.
7.) Rebooted into rEFIt, ran Partition Tool, synced tables.
8.) Rebooted, held Alt/Option, selected "Windows" and booted into Hardy.

I do not believe step #6 was necessary, from what I've read, but it doesn't hurt.
At step #7, selecting to boot Linux from rEFIt hung on Tux indefinitely.

darcyb, have you tried doing steps #5 through #8 like I did? If not, ignore your concerns about odd partition labels in the GRUB loader dialogue, and give it a try.

I just wanted to say that ensuring GRUB was on sda3 was what fixed my Ubuntu install for me.

My process:

1. Use OSX Disk Manager to resize OSX partition
2. Install rEFIt (I had to use the manual method. Auto wasn't working)
3. Boot to CD/Install Ubuntu
4. Click advanced at very end of install process to ensure GRUB is installed to sda3
5. Reboot and sync MBT in rEFIt
6. DONE!

That fixed it to where the OSX and Linux show up as the two options in rEFIt and selecting Linux booted Ubuntu. No need to hold option. Hope it helps.

cyberdork33
May 3rd, 2008, 03:52 AM
I just wanted to say that ensuring GRUB was on sda3 was what fixed my Ubuntu install for me.
Yea, the same issue that was wiping out the MBR table seems to affect grub if it is installed there as well, installing to another location would prevent that.

SeeLos
May 11th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I seem to be having a similar problem. I have installed feisty fawn and gutsy gibbon on my macbook before with no problems. With hardy heron though, everything goes smoothly until I actually am ready for to run it and then :( it doesn't work. Ha.

My process has gone something like this
1) Boot camp
2)Live CD, GParted, Delete Partition
3)Install, Guided - Use Largest Free Space

Installation goes fine and it says my system must now rebtoot, I reboot, hold option key and the only OS my system recognizes is my macintosh one. I am NOT attempting to triple boot and run windows. I've tried several variations of what i listed above, but for the most part it's been that or most likely very comparable methods. Do I really need to use refit? I haven't in the past, I prefer to just use the option key. Thanks in advance!

cyberdork33
May 12th, 2008, 04:27 AM
I seem to be having a similar problem. I have installed feisty fawn and gutsy gibbon on my macbook before with no problems. With hardy heron though, everything goes smoothly until I actually am ready for to run it and then :( it doesn't work. Ha.

Installation goes fine and it says my system must now rebtoot, I reboot, hold option key and the only OS my system recognizes is my macintosh one. I am NOT attempting to triple boot and run windows. I've tried several variations of what i listed above, but for the most part it's been that or most likely very comparable methods. Do I really need to use refit? I haven't in the past, I prefer to just use the option key. Thanks in advance!yes. there is a bug in the hardy installer that wipes out the MBR. You need to rebuild your MBR partition table and possibly reinstall grub. After you get things working you can disable refit if you like.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=767677

hardawayd
May 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I have a bit of a similar problem. I have been using Gusty and beta Hardy on partitions 5 and 6 respectively on my MBP. I upgraded Gusty on 5 to Hardy and erased partition 6 and installed Xubuntu to it and installed Grub to partition 6. Now I get the gray screen with the penguin with the message 'no operating system found". I have resynched the tables using EFI partitioner but since I am not using the MBR since my partions are in 5 and 6 i am not sure what to do to get Grub to come up again. Any ideas?

cyberdork33
May 12th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I have a bit of a similar problem. I have been using Gusty and beta Hardy on partitions 5 and 6 respectively on my MBP. I upgraded Gusty on 5 to Hardy and erased partition 6 and installed Xubuntu to it and installed Grub to partition 6. Now I get the gray screen with the penguin with the message 'no operating system found". I have resynched the tables using EFI partitioner but since I am not using the MBR since my partions are in 5 and 6 i am not sure what to do to get Grub to come up again. Any ideas?
grub has to use the MBR to boot. You need to install grub to one of the first four partitions. Additionally, you could try rebuilding your MBR table to contain the partitions you want as shown in this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=782803

hardawayd
May 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM
If Grub has to use MBR to boot then how come my partition 5 and 6 Linux installs were working fine with Gusty until i install xbuntu into partition 6. From early problems with installing on the Mac I had read to stay above partition 4 just so the MBR would not be in play. That seemed to work until my recent install of xbuntu in partition 6 which had Hardy beta before that. I am a little confused here.

cyberdork33
May 13th, 2008, 12:02 AM
If Grub has to use MBR to boot then how come my partition 5 and 6 Linux installs were working fine with Gusty until i install xbuntu into partition 6. From early problems with installing on the Mac I had read to stay above partition 4 just so the MBR would not be in play. That seemed to work until my recent install of xbuntu in partition 6 which had Hardy beta before that. I am a little confused here.
grub cannot be installed passed partition #4

mabovo
July 30th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I "had" Hardy installed on sda3 and still there booting from a Live CD but not from GRUB.

When this issue will be solved ? That is not my idea of an LTS distibution altough somebody can blame macbook's proprietary hardware.

aab4ever
July 30th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I had the same problem, the time that I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my MacBook 3,1. After installed ad reboot the black screen was coming "No bootable device" I updated the MBR with rEFIT. When I tried to boot ubuntu after that it just hang with penguin at a grey screen. Then I hold down my shutdown button and tried again and then it worked :)

cyberdork33
July 30th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I had the same problem, the time that I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my MacBook 3,1. After installed ad reboot the black screen was coming "No bootable device" I updated the MBR with rEFIT. When I tried to boot ubuntu after that it just hang with penguin at a grey screen. Then I hold down my shutdown button and tried again and then it worked :)
Yea I just had to powerdown and bootup again a couple times to get passed the Tux icon too... I think that I will modify that part of the how to a little bit.

mabovo
July 31st, 2008, 01:43 AM
Yea I just had to powerdown and bootup again a couple times to get passed the Tux icon too... I think that I will modify that part of the how to a little bit.

I had to powerdown after an isight freeze and this action caused GRUB to mess with the partitions.

cyberdork33
July 31st, 2008, 01:47 AM
I had to powerdown after an isight freeze and this action caused GRUB to mess with the partitions.GRUB can't "mess" with you partitions... It has no capability to write to disk that I know of.

mabovo
August 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
Well, I have two tuxes on rEFIT menu and only one works. Need to reinstall Hardy again.

cyberdork33
August 3rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Well, I have two tuxes on rEFIT menu and only one works. Need to reinstall Hardy again.
no you don't, you need to remove grub from the MBR because you have installed it to both the Ubuntu partition and to the MBR.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=811240