PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Hardy doesn't recognize Broadcom wireless ada[ter

doriard
April 24th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I installed Hardy on my HP9408nr laptop with 4BCM94311MCG Broadcom wireless, but no wireless adapter is even recognized. I tried using ndiswrapper following instructions in the development forum, but it didn't do anything, and I'm not sure if the installation worked. Since that didn't work, I uninstalled ndiswrapper and installed b43-fwcutter. Still doesn't work. I tried installing Wicd to see if would make it easier to recognize what was going on, but Wicd doesn't show any wireless interfaces present. What do I do next?

knaveman
April 24th, 2008, 11:57 PM
This won't make you feel any better but I have had the same problem with hardy for some time now. The only thing I came up with was to wait until the devs sort it out. Or use a usb adapter. Yeah, it pretty much sucks.

Tim Sharitt
April 25th, 2008, 12:06 AM
After you installer b43-fwcutter did you enable the b43 driver in the driver manager (System > Administration > Hardware Drivers in gnome, not sure where it's at in kde)? Also, I'm not sure this is an issue but, when I upgraded to Hardy beta b43-fwcutter didn't seem to work when installed from synaptic but worked fine from aptitude (I was told it was to do with the installer downloading the firmware, I can't say for sure).

doriard
April 25th, 2008, 12:17 AM
There is no "Hardware drivers" showing up under System/Administration in Kubuntu. In Kubuntu I think it usually shows up as "Restricted Drivers" in System/Administration, but that is not showing up either. On my desktop computer with Hardy and Nvidia video drivers, when I installed the video drivers, Hardy automatically created the "Restricted Drivers" icon in System/Administration, and then automatically applied the drivers. I'm guessing it would be similar for the Broadcom drivers. Even though b43-fwcutter driver is installed, it's not being recognized. So maybe the next stop is to figure out how to get Hardy to recognize that the b43-fwcutter driver is installed and enable it...??

cob
April 25th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I cannot believe that we are still battling the Broadcom wireless issue after all these years. I understand that this is mostly Broadcom's fault for not offering details needed to create a free driver or providing their own closed driver, but there are ways around it, and the time spent on it shouldn't be on the user end on every release.