PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Seagate FreeAgent External Drive and Toshiba Satellite A-135

Baje
April 24th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Hello, I'm a recent Ubuntu convert and am not too familiar with it all. I'm capable of using the terminal, but not great at it. Anyway, I have a Toshiba Satellite A-135 Laptop and a Seagate External Hard Drive. The system recognizes it and it works perfectly if it is plugged in at start-up, but refuses to recognize it if you plug it in while the computer is running. So, I end up restarting the computer a lot.
Why not just leave it plugged in? When I close my laptop (go into "suspend" mode), and then open it again, the computer no longer recognizes the drive.

I'm running 7.10.

does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to solve this problem? I have tried sudo mount but was unsuccesful. Any help would be much appreciated.

Baje
April 25th, 2008, 04:30 AM
bump

VMan
April 26th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Are you using USB or firewire. I'm not familiar with the FreeAgent models. Also, open the logs and watch what happens when it is plugged in. That may give you a clue as to what's going on.

I have two external HDs and both work in 7.10 without a problem (one Acom, and one Maxtor).