PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading to 8.04

patrickaupperle
April 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I have a 7.10 install that I want to upgrade to 8.04. Can I just upgrade or should I do a re-install. I read somewhere that you have to do a reinstall. So which is it?

C!oud
April 24th, 2008, 11:39 PM
you can just go to the the package manager and update it from there but some people prefer to do a reinstall instead so they start out with a fresh new OS. Which ever one you prefer.

rouge568
April 24th, 2008, 11:41 PM
You should only do a fresh reinstall if you really know what you're doing. However, an upgrade is perfectly fine. Just start up your update-manager and download away!

patrickaupperle
April 24th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Are there any real advantages to the reinstall method?

Paqman
April 24th, 2008, 11:43 PM
You might find that the update will go very slooooooooooooow right now. The servers are overloaded.

If that's the case, you might want to leave it a couple of days.

Paqman
April 24th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Are there any real advantages to the reinstall method?

Upgrades can sometimes cause breakage. It's rare, but it does happen.

Also, tinkering can be fun. A reinstall is a good opportunity to mess about with partition sizes, change how your system is set up, etc.

Vadi
April 24th, 2008, 11:45 PM
You'll be fine if you upgrade - you can go to System - Administration - Update Manager, and it should have a button for upgrading. I'd recommend just holding off because it'll be quite slow right now.

ptcbus
April 24th, 2008, 11:46 PM
A quick way to download is to use bit-torrent (was extremely fast for me). I used bit torrent for downloading Alternate setup cd image.
I just upgraded and have listed the steps in here: http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html

Fedz
April 24th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I've just updated via update manager. Whilst it was slow-fast-slow it doesn't really matter as you'll get their in the end :)

Everything still works fine without a fresh install but, I guess as always everythings a risk just 'cos it was fine for me doesn't mean it'll be fine for everyone ;)

If it was reasonably safe to do so via update manager Ubuntu (Canonical) wouldn't give you the option :)

mindwip
April 24th, 2008, 11:53 PM
i upgraded and it failed for me cant log onto my account, if i cant fix it soon i will just do a fresh install like i did for 7.10

patrickaupperle
April 25th, 2008, 02:14 AM
A quick way to download is to use bit-torrent (was extremely fast for me). I used bit torrent for downloading Alternate setup cd image.
I just upgraded and have listed the steps in here: http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html

Thank you, I think I will upgrade this way. I won't lose anything will I?

Vadi
April 25th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Yep, that's a good way there too. It'll only remove unneeded/old system packages; your personal data won't be touched.

shtewe
April 25th, 2008, 03:01 AM
just wondering, how do i do a clean install of 8.04 if i have 2 partitions of windows and ubuntu 7.10.

how do i make it overwrite the 7.10 partition?

this might be a very simple thing to do but i am worried if i overwrite the XP partition

patrickaupperle
April 25th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Yep, that's a good way there too. It'll only remove unneeded/old system packages; your personal data won't be touched.

Ok, Thanks everyone. I am going to upgrade now.

abraxas334
April 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM
i would like to upgrade using upgrade manager but for some reason it does not give me the option in the update manager. Therefore i decided to dl the iso and do it that way but my 7.10 will not recognise the burned iso cd even tho it was burned on another ubuntu machine and the cd was checked for errors. Any ideas how i could upgrade without having to do a fresh install?

patrickaupperle
April 26th, 2008, 04:43 AM
um..., Can anyone fix this?

patrickaupperle
April 26th, 2008, 03:57 PM
bump

Vadi
April 26th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Just leave it be, servers are slow as eeeverybody is upgrading.

patrickaupperle
April 26th, 2008, 11:29 PM
It stayed like that for several hours and then my computer froze up. The caps and scroll lock lights were flashing. Ctrl+alt+backspace did nothing. I had to restart. If I don't get this to work in the next few days, I will switch to a rolling release distro like debian or sidux. I am going to try again, but through the upgrade manager.

Vadi
April 27th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Sure thing.

patrickaupperle
April 27th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Still is not working. I will be switching to sidux when I can get an external hd to back up to. Are there any suggestions for getting this working?

Vadi
April 27th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I'd say change your apt server to be something different. In software sources, you can choose between the main one and yours. I also heard the UK one is fast, but I don't know how to set it.

patrickaupperle
April 27th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I already tried that. The US server won't even download the package list. Thank you for the suggestion, though. Any others?

ityro
April 27th, 2008, 04:32 AM
When I upgrade (or fresh install) to 8.04 and find myself with serious problems can I Restore my system from a total backup of Gutsy using Grsync using the Delete on Destination option and start all over?

patrickaupperle
April 27th, 2008, 01:17 PM
When I upgrade (or fresh install) to 8.04 and find myself with serious problems can I Restore my system from a total backup of Gutsy using Grsync using the Delete on Destination option and start all over?

You probably should not have posted that in MY thread. I am still trying to trouble shoot a problem. Next time you should probably start your own thread but, now I am interested so I hope someone gives you an answer. :lol:

Vadi
April 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
In Software Sources again, you can choose 'Other...' server, and then click the 'Select Best Server'. Pick that one, reload, and try again.

Or just swich to the other distro. Whatever floats your boat

ityro
April 28th, 2008, 12:59 AM
You probably should not have posted that in MY thread. I am still trying to trouble shoot a problem. Next time you should probably start your own thread but, now I am interested so I hope someone gives you an answer. :lol:

Sorry about that.

patrickaupperle
April 28th, 2008, 02:59 AM
In Software Sources again, you can choose 'Other...' server, and then click the 'Select Best Server'. Pick that one, reload, and try again.

Or just swich to the other distro. Whatever floats your boat

I will just switch. Thank you for all the help, though.