PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy Heron ATI drivers

seamustry
April 24th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I've just installed 8.04 and now I can't use desktop effects because the ATI drivers won't enable...I've gone to Hardware drivers, disabled and enabled it, restarted the system and still I see the message that the driver is "not in use"...what can I do so that it is used?

thanks!

swoll1980
April 24th, 2008, 11:38 PM
install envy ng it will set the drivers up for you http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

iopo
April 25th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I'm having a similar problem. With 7.10 I could run Compiz in two ways:

- proprietary driver + xgl
- opensource driver + aixgl

I just installed 8.04 and I have been trying to enable desktop effects with no luck. I don't think it is a driver issue: compiz should run fine with the opensource driver if aixgl was enabled!
I think the problem is that aixgl is not enabled or that for some reason compiz does not recognize it.

bgast1
April 25th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I am still very inexperienced in Linux but I have Hardy Heron installed. I have and ATI Radeon X1950Pro PCIe card. With Gutsy I had to use the proprietary driver + XGL. But with Hardy Heron, I did not have to at all.

I can't remember though if I used EnvyNG or just used the restricted driver.

Just installed Advanced Desktop Settings and I was set. Works beautifully and doesn't even consume all of my resources.

the_darkside_986
April 25th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Did you type first

sudo apt-get update

Envy shouldn't be necessary anymore.

Anyway, I never could get Nvidia glx drivers installed until I did a sudo apt-get update. But that is a long and painful process since the archive servers are heavily overloaded at the moment.

It's probably the same principle for other proprietary drivers such as ATI.

seamustry
April 25th, 2008, 01:58 AM
so is that why i can't download anything using synaptics???

i select the packages i want and then the thing just waits there at the "downloading" stage but doesn't download anything...

iopo
April 25th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Maybe this can help:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=764633&highlight=composite
best

hartleyshc
April 25th, 2008, 04:38 AM
xgl isn't installed by default. you need to install xgl.

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install xserver-xgl

no need to pick an xgl session when you log in, it will automatically be loaded with gnome.

ali999
April 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I had this problem with in Hardy just after installing it. Went to Hardware Drivers but there it said that my Ati FireGL cad was enabled but not in use. All I had to do was go to my Software Sources through System>Administration>Software Sources and enable restricted drivers and third party drivers. Then went back to my Hardware Drivers through System>Administration>Hardware Drivers and problem solved. The new Ati accelerated drivers show up as disabled, just enable them and you should be good to go.

seamustry
April 25th, 2008, 01:56 PM
ok i can't download anything using a package manager...it opens the dialog box which says downloading but it just waits there forever and nothing gets downloaded

rickatnight11
April 25th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Had the same issue. Just give it time. The servers are flooded from everyone downloading the new release and all the packages from the repositories. I thought something was wrong with my ATI drivers but after about five minutes it started downloading. Honestly it looks like they have some sort of queueing system at the moment so that rather than having everyone download slowly, you just wait until a download slot is available.

seamustry
April 25th, 2008, 09:49 PM
ok i'll try to wait a bit longer :)

seamustry
April 25th, 2008, 11:01 PM
yep that was the problem...just waited for the download and it all works nicely now...hopeufully will keep working :)