PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is Updating to 8.04 via the update manager slow for anyone?

avkhatri
April 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Is anyone using the Ubuntu update manager to update to 8.04? Is anyone else experiencing a really slow update while downloading all of the packages? This morning it said that my download speed was at 254 kbps and like now I get home after leaving my computer for about 6 hours and it says 600 bps (bytes per second) and it keeps going up and down. Was this because I left my computer for so long without using it? Or would it be because so many people could be downloading the update?

Thanks in advance guys :)

TerpInHotLanta
April 24th, 2008, 10:57 PM
If you look at what repository is going slowly, it seems that it's just due to so many people upgrading.

Just wait a day or so.

-Charlie

swoll1980
April 24th, 2008, 10:58 PM
the servers are getting murdered right now

avkhatri
April 24th, 2008, 11:00 PM
oh ok ill wait then :).

Yeah the time keeps spiking up and down from like 1 day to 4 days to 22 hours etc.

sports fan Matt
April 24th, 2008, 11:01 PM
This is why I upgraded a week and a half ago..Severs being murdered

MaxWood
April 24th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Id appreciate any help if possible.

Ive hit the Upgrade button on the Update Manager to upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 but the screen has greyed out and has been for around 20 minutes. Is this normal?

Is there anywhere i can torrent the upgrade and run it when i download it?

avkhatri
April 24th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Now that I'm pretty far into the update process it really doesn't matter but does Ubuntu have any way of upgrading an existing installation with the latest CD?

avkhatri
April 24th, 2008, 11:27 PM
If you look at what repository is going slowly, it seems that it's just due to so many people upgrading.

Just wait a day or so.

-Charlie

Yeah :p, I've been on "fetching file 1,103 for a while.

grannyw
April 24th, 2008, 11:35 PM
i have this updating stuff also
it seems we'll have to wait :)

pmp6nl
April 24th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Its so slow ;)

Oh the fun.

... poor poor servers.

-Phi-
April 24th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that if you download the alternate iso you can upgrade with it. See bottom of: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades#head-7311a7de9fdf1ca310c6937460c0a9d33f54279d

At least, that's what I'm going to try. I'm also considering just mounting the iso instead of burning a CD, since I don't have any around.

- Phi

ptcbus
April 24th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Yes, the update manager was very very slow. But the bittorrent downloads from ubuntu were extremely fast.
I just upgraded to hardy heron and have listed the steps I went through using bit-torrent download here: http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html

pmp6nl
April 24th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Yes, the update manager was very very slow. But the bittorrent downloads from ubuntu were extremely fast.
I just upgraded to hardy heron and have listed the steps I went through using bit-torrent download here: http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html

I wish I would have thought of that before I started :(

ptcbus
April 25th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I wish I would have thought of that before I started :(
I think you can stop the update manager in the middle and you can start using the bit-torrents.

avkhatri
April 25th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Ok so then it's normal that my download has been fetching a certain file for about an hour or maybe more right? I'm sorry its just that I don't want something wrong to go while updating and end up messing up my entire Ubuntu partition.

fullmetalgerbil
April 25th, 2008, 12:02 AM
The Upgrade via Update Manager was going excruciatingly slow, so I decided on a fresh install. Had some trouble with the North American servers, apparently due to them being swamped, but I downloaded the iso from a server in the Netherlands lickety split. Now I'm backing up all my stuff and should have Hardy installed within a couple of hours-ten times faster than if I'd stuck with the upgrade.
Basicaly, it just comes down to me wanting to be one of the cool kids who got Hardy on the day of its release....

Tews
April 25th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Sorry that all of you are having such a hard time with the slow upgrade, but really, what did you expect! With the millions of Ubuntu users out there, didn't you think about the tremendous server load?? Im glad I did this a week ago and not wait till the last minute.

Good Luck!

pmp6nl
April 25th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I think you can stop the update manager in the middle and you can start using the bit-torrents.

I thought there was a huge warning that said not to do that.

Dr Small
April 25th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Running the Update Manager the same night, or several days later after a new release is always a bad idea. Everyone for some odd reason, thinks that they will upgrade as soon as it comes out, and it then bottlenecks the servers.

Dr Small

-Phi-
April 25th, 2008, 02:19 AM
My attempt to upgrade with a mounted .iso file was successful :D Upgrade took about 30 minutes, not counting the 15 minutes to download the .iso and the hour or so fixing dependencies before hand for the upgrade to work (vlc and language-support-en-gb were to blame).

I used the Thunar mount iso script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=380602 and gksu "sh /mnt/xubuntu-8.04-alternate-i386.iso" to start the upgrade as seen here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades#head-7311a7de9fdf1ca310c6937460c0a9d33f54279d

No CDs or servers were burned in the making of this upgrade.

So far so good...

- Phi

Dragonfi
April 25th, 2008, 01:09 PM
hehe, if I see theese post before I start upgrading... poor poor servers..

Gauvenator
April 26th, 2008, 02:24 AM
zomg only 40kbps from the repos...grr, just trying to install mah gfx driver