PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Iso?

Ahunt
April 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I have been on Ubuntu for a year, but I am certainly feeling like a total beginner today.

I went from Ubuntu 7.4 to 7.10 via the upgrade process. That was very easy - one click and it was done.

To move to 8.4 I thought I would do a fresh install. So I downloaded the .iso and then burned it onto a CD-R. My Ubuntu PC is set to boot to CD first on start-up. So I booted to it and nothing happened - it just checked the CD and then installed 7.10 as per normal from the hard disc. I tried booting to the CD on my alternate (Windows XP) PC and the same thing happened - no installer came up. Clicking on the .iso file achieves nothing also.

I know that I am probably doing something very basic wrong here. What?

C!oud
April 24th, 2008, 10:52 PM
1.did you check the CD for defects?
2. did you try the alternate installer?

swoll1980
April 24th, 2008, 10:53 PM
right click it(the iso file) then click burn to disk you have to burn it as a iso image not info. The right click thing does this automatically

Mazza558
April 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Did you use an ISO burner (e.g "burn to disk" on Ubuntu) or did you just copy the file to CD?

Ahunt
April 24th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Actually I downloaded it on Windows XP and burned it to CD there (Ubuntu PC was in use, of course) as a straight .iso file.

I have the .iso file, so I can re-burn it if need be.

Mazza558
April 24th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Actually I downloaded it on Windows XP and burned it to CD there (Ubuntu PC was in use, of course) as a straight .iso file.

I have the .iso file, so I can re-burn it if need be.

There's your problem.

Download ISO Recorder for Windows (it's just a small freeware program).

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/download/ISORecorderV2RC1.msi

Click on your ISO file and choose it to be burnt at as low a speed as possible.

Ahunt
April 24th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks for that info.

I downloaded the ISO burner and re-recorded the .iso file onto a new CD using that. It seemed to work fine.

I tried booting it in the Ubuntu PC and and the boot-up ignored it.

I tried booting it in the Windows XP PC and it booted to the Ubuntu screen. I tried testing the CD for errors and came up with an error reading the disc. I assume that I have a bad .iso download and that I need to start again?

Mazza558
April 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks for that info.

I downloaded the ISO burner and re-recorded the .iso file onto a new CD using that. It seemed to work fine.

I tried booting it in the Ubuntu PC and and the boot-up ignored it.

I tried booting it in the Windows XP PC and it booted to the Ubuntu screen. I tried testing the CD for errors and came up with an error reading the disc. I assume that I have a bad .iso download and that I need to start again?

Yes, either that or a bad CD or Burner. I'd try downloading it again first.

Ahunt
April 24th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Well the CD did read and the burner does other jobs just fine, so it is likely a faulty .iso file.

I will try downloading the .iso again. It took seven hours on DSL (which is normally 3.008 MBps here) so I think perhaps the servers are just way too choked up to give a good image right now. Maybe I will try again in a week or two when the demand drops.

Thank so much for your help!

Mystix
April 25th, 2008, 12:14 AM
What I would do if you already have it downloaded is burn it as an .iso to a cd at a 4x burn rate, will take a little longer but this is what I had to do to get a cd that would work.

mister_pink
April 25th, 2008, 12:20 AM
You can check your iso file for defects, rather than just downloading it again. Look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

And for the hardy md5s: http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/MD5SUMS

Ahunt
April 25th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the advice on that. I did try another CD burn at a very slow burn rate (1X). It still came up with the same error on boot-up, so I think I have a corrupt download.

After wrecking three CDs I have learned my lesson - wait at least a week after a new release. The server congestion makes getting a clean download unlikely, even on a pretty fast DSL connection.

Ahunt
April 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM
mister_pink:

Thanks for that info. This is all new to me.

I did download the "Install-winMd5Sum.exe" to check the file on Windows and the hash is totally different from the one at http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/MD5SUMS.

I can only conclude that file I have is corrupt.

hyper_ch
April 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM
yes it is...

and I suggest to you to

(1) download the ISOs throught bittorrent --> that will auto-hash-check the files so they won't be corrupted

(2) get a couple of CD-RWs...

Ahunt
April 25th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I have lots of CD-RWs. I was lead to believe that they should be burned on CD-Rs.

I was also trying to create a disc that, once I had installed 8.4 on my Ubuntu 7.10 PC I could give away to friends. I prefer to hang onto the RWs!

We have a problem with Bell Nexxia seriously throttling all Bit Torrent here in Ontario and so they download very, very slowly with a high risk of errors.

I am constantly amazed - I have been working on computers since 1978 and I always seem to be one piece of critical information short of being able to get the job done.

I think the http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download page needs to link to all of this info on checking the image and how to burn an iso to a CD properly and what type of CD to use in a step-by-step fashion. Any real Windows newbie trying to get Ubuntu will be totally lost and will have given up long before this stage.

hyper_ch
April 25th, 2008, 12:47 PM
change your ISP if they trottle P2P traffic ;)

well, for giving CDs away I rather order a couple through shipit.... you know, they look professional and you can give those to other people and they will take it a lot more serious.

Ahunt
April 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM
The problem is that Bell Nexxia owns all the lines to the houses in Ontario. All the ISPs lease the lines from them. Cable is the only other option, but it is throttled, too by Rogers, who own the cable. All BitTorrent traffic is therefore throttled here. It has been all over the news here recently. There is no other choice, except dial-up.

hyper_ch
April 25th, 2008, 01:08 PM
that sux :(

Ahunt
April 25th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Basically you learn to live with monopolies as far as possible.

The latest move is that Bell Nexxia has applied to the courts to force the regulator to allow Bell Nexxia to throw all the other ISPs off their wires. DSL and cable will then be unaffordable to individuals here. Our little, local not-for-profit ISP will be forced back to dial-up only. Hopefully the courts won't allow it.

Zralou
April 25th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Just a quick query, I thought the CDRW are 650mb capacity?. In which case, Ubuntu won't fit on one, it needs 690mb, or is that just the Kubuntu?.

Sara Lou

hyper_ch
April 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM
there are 700mb CDRWs.... old standard used to be 640mb per CD-R(w)

aeiah
April 25th, 2008, 01:35 PM
i was gonna suggest bittorrent too, but it sucks that you're stuck with a monopoly isp that throttles. here in the uk, nearly all ISPs have throtting or 'fair use' policies that punish you for downloading a lot, but i dont think the throttling is as bad as in america and canada. still, if the servers are really slow and they dont throttle your torrents too much you could always check it out. or try and find an ubuntu mirror that's located somewhere where the population will be asleep

Ahunt
April 25th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Good point.

The ".iso" file I downloaded for Ubuntu was 631 MB, so it should fit on a CD-RW.

Ahunt
April 25th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Incidentally for anyone reading this thread with the same problem - there is Ubuntu documentation on how to do all this. It should be linked from the download page, but it isn't.

It is at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

linux phreak
April 25th, 2008, 04:22 PM
The ubuntu 8.04 iso is 699 MB in size.

Ahunt
April 25th, 2008, 04:44 PM
That might explain how corrupted my file was!

Mazza558
April 25th, 2008, 05:24 PM
That might explain how corrupted my file was!

It's amazing it even loaded in the first place...

Ahunt
April 27th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I thought I would write a quick conclusion to this tale. On Friday night I tried an ".iso" download from a quieter mirror and got the complete file in 45 minutes. WinMD5Sum tested it and declared that the hash marks matched. I used the Alex Feinman ISO recorder to burn it on a CD-R at 1X and tested the CD. It failed. I figured it must be a bad CD, so I burned another one at 4X and that one passed! (sounds like "burned down, fell over and sank into the swamp")

The installation of Hardy Heron went fine, at least as soon as I had figured out "PolicyKit" to the point where I could give myself permission to open the CD drive. PolicyKit is a bit overboard for home users, although maybe okay for office or places like public libraries.

We are now up and running with Hardy Heron. Overall it is very impressive - better than Gutsy and even better than Windows XP. Vista is a sad joke next to Hardy Heron!

My thanks again to everyone who contributed here. As always the community support here on the forum is amazing and makes any Ubuntu glitches easy to solve! Thank you!

mister_pink
April 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Other Kings said I was daft to build a castle in a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em...

Sorry. Glad to hear you got it working though!