PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Just discovered Ubuntu

dboyd1952
April 24th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I am new to this OS. Currently using xp. 1st question: Can I run Microsoft Office 2007 programs (Word, Excel) with this OS?

Technoviking
April 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I am new to this OS. Currently using xp. 1st question: Can I run Microsoft Office 2007 programs (Word, Excel) with this OS?
The only way would be with a virtual machine (VMware or Virtualbox). But consider trying the OpenOffice applications and see if they meet your needs.

evadwolrab
April 24th, 2008, 09:58 PM
OpenOffice.org is just as powerful in my opinion.

If you use it, Google Docs now accepts uploads in .odt (Open Office's native format) as well. Give it a try!

PS. You can actually save as .doc if you're worried that your word-processed files won't be compatible with other peoples XP machines. :)

Paqman
April 24th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Can I run Microsoft Office 2007 programs (Word, Excel) with this OS?

No, but Open Office is installed by default. Open Office can handle MS Office file formats like .doc or .xls. It's also cross-platform, so you can also install it on XP and use the same software on both systems. When you're trying a new OS it's nice to have some familiar software.

There's actually quite a lot of software that is cross-platform. Firefox, the Thunderbird mail client, Pidgin instant messaging, etc are all available for both Windows and Ubuntu. In fact the Windows versions are almost all better than the equivalent Microsoft software, so even if you decide not to use Ubuntu it's worth installing them on Windows.