PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] update manager using bittorrents

tyblu
April 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I'm looking for an option or setup to get the program "Update Manager" to use bittorrent files automatically instead of bombarding the central servers/mirrors for repository files and, as in the present case, upgrades (HH). Of course if this isn't already implemented then there would be no one off which to leech even if I did make/get a bittorent file for every package. Also, I realize that there are bittorent files for all of the distributions, and am seeding the HH i386 server and desktop versions now.

April 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I'm looking for an option or setup to get the program "Update Manager" to use bittorrent files automatically instead of bombarding the central servers/mirrors for repository files and, as in the present case, upgrades (HH). Of course if this isn't already implemented then there would be no one off which to leech even if I did make/get a bittorent file for every package. Also, I realize that there are bittorent files for all of the distributions, and am seeding the HH i386 server and desktop versions now.
I don't think that's possible. The "Update Manager" is just a graphical front end for (a part of) Debian's apt-get package manager.

tyblu
April 24th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Oh... so I should probably just man apt-get then :P .

Thank you!

knowledge += 1.

ptcbus
April 25th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I used torrents and I have listed the steps I followed to upgrade here: http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html

tyblu
April 25th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I also wonder...
Is there a group of folks out there wrapping packages into torrents to distribute among their own networks, friends or groups?