PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New firewall gui?

kansasnoob
April 24th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Wow, how lame am I? I just now found out that the system I'm using has something I didn't know it had.

In every install/upgrade I've done with 8.04 I've still just relied on the Firestarter gui to set-up my iptables.

I'm lazy. I like simple stuff. Are the settings I make in Firestarter still valid?

I know I had Firestarter working properly with iptables in 7.10. Now what?

Ufw has no "interface"!

Are we going backwards? Back to "command line" only?

Now, I figured out long ago in Gutsy that there was no need to edit "sudoers" to allow Firestarter to open automatically in the kicker panel, but now I don't think I even have a firewall running!

That bothers me!

HELP! And keep it simple.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Iptables is the firewall it is running by default unless you turned it off

Technoviking
April 24th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I understand that ufw would be easier to config with a gui, but it is a very simple program to use from the command line

Turn on the firewall

sudo ufw enable
Turn off the firewall.

sudo ufw disable
Allow all connections by default.

sudo ufw default allow
Drop all connections by default.

sudo ufw default deny
Current status and rules.

sudo ufw status
Allow traffic on port <port>.

sudo ufw allow <port>
Block port number <port>

sudo ufw deny <port>
Block IP address.

sudo ufw deny from <ip>

For example to block all traffic except for ssh do the following.

sudo ufw default deny
sudo ufw allow 22

I will see if a Ubuntu Brainstorm has a GUI for UFW as an idea.

Mike

yaztromo
April 24th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Is ufw just another frontend for iptables?

Technoviking
April 24th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Vote it up at Ubuntu Brainstorm
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22/

Technoviking
April 24th, 2008, 09:51 PM
More info on ufw:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFirewall

noynac
April 24th, 2008, 10:06 PM
More info on ufw:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFirewall

Thanks for the link. If I understand that site correctly, disabled is the default for ufw. I ran 'sudo ufw status' and it said "firewall not loaded." Clearly this is something I need to study up on.

Paqman
April 24th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I though ufw was just a CLI tool for managing iptables? If you want a GUI, just use Firestarter. They both do exactly the same thing.

kansasnoob
April 24th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Well, maybe I did a bad job of explaining myself, but I have installed Firestarter on all of my 8.04's and I'm freaking a little bit. I can't find any log of activity for Firestarter or ufw!

I'd gotten used to the idea that i didn't need to see what was going on as it happened but now it looks like I've been WIDE OPEN for a few days because of of my own stupidity.

I don't think the Firestarter gui is working properly with ufw. In fact it may have been disabling ufw?

Paqman
April 24th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I don't think the Firestarter gui is working properly with ufw. In fact it may have been disabling ufw?

Firestarter doesn't talk to ufw, it talks to iptables (just like ufw does) They're both tools for configuring iptables. One is a GUI, the other is CLI.

When you say you "can't find any log of activity", what do you mean? That there are no logs in Firestarter?

kansasnoob
April 24th, 2008, 11:59 PM
So, is my Firestarter gui interfering with the operation of ufw?

This is one of those odd things that makes you wonder why all open sourcers can't just work together!

Or should I open the terminal every time I start my computer and make sure my firewall is started?

Paqman
April 25th, 2008, 12:06 AM
So, is my Firestarter gui interfering with the operation of ufw?

Have you even touched ufw though? If so, what changes did you make?

I'd be surprised if they hadn't tested Firestarter with ufw to make sure they weren't interfering with each other.

kansasnoob
April 25th, 2008, 12:16 AM
"When you say you "can't find any log of activity", what do you mean? That there are no logs in Firestarter?"

Yes Paqman,

I'd learned how to log the activity to and from my network using Firestarter. I know that Firestarter works on top of iptables. You'll notice that I chalked the problem up to my own oversight. I should have had this figured out a week ago.

The most obvious solution for me is to remove ufw, make sure that iptables and all libraries are installed and then reinstall Firestarter.

Then I'll learn how to properly use ufw.

This was pointed out in Ubuntu's build up to 8.04. My bad! I didn't do my homework!

kansasnoob
April 25th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Well, I ran thru a full restart and everything showed "fail" when firestarter came up.

But I've tried physically starting firestarter and it begins logging events like it should.

I just think ufw and firestarter are having a pi$$ing contest at this point.

kansasnoob
April 25th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Well, it appears that iptables goes to the default with both ufw and firestarter installed.

I think that synaptic should force one to be removed when the other is installed!

At this point i think the safest bet is to NOT install firestarter and make sure ufw is on:

sudo ufw enable

and just leave it alone unless you have a complicated network.

I don't like it though!

gaiterin
May 26th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Hello.
I made a GUI in Python.
You can download it at:
http://code.google.com/p/gui-ufw/
To install follow the instructions of the file installation.
A greeting.

mister_pink
May 26th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Err, just tried to check out the svn code and got an empty folder... But surely a gui to a script to a program is a bit of a odd way of doing things?

Edit: Ignore the svn thing, I just downloaded the tar ball instead...

Edit2: Does look nice and simple though