PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Songbird 0.5 will not start

Ecclesia
April 24th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I was wondering if others have had this problem. I'm running 7.10 and this morning Songbird decided that it would update itself from 0.4 to 0.5 - at first it ran fine. Then later on, I went to start it and the window never came up. After that, trying to start it again says that it's already running and that I need to kill the process or restart. Top doesn't show anything that I can determine to be Songbird. After restart I have the same problem.

Any ideas? I'm thinking that I might just reinstall it. I'm surprised that it updated itself. I was just fine with using 0.4.

Ecclesia
April 25th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Alright, well... I didn't manage to solve the problem so now I'm running pre-6 and that seems to be doing alright so far. I suppose I could try a new installation of 0.5 and see if that works, but we'll see if I find any helpful bug submissions.

arrrghhh
April 26th, 2008, 11:05 PM
i have this same problem, songbird always says it's running when it clearly is not... i haven't even started it once on this machine! 0.5 i have not been able to use as of yet... is there a repo for it? the .tar.gz method of "installation" is hardly installing it at all, more just extracting and running.

Ecclesia
April 26th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Well, at this point I'm not even trying to run 0.5, since I couldn't get it to work, but the "blessed pre-0.6" from the nightlies seems to work fairly well. It will need to generate a new media library, but other than that it works well. I haven't really tried any plugins yet, however. I'm looking forward to development with this, since I read somewhere that they were looking for solid ipod support (yes, I was dumb enough to buy an ipod classic before I realized how much of a pain they were going to be).

So far as I know there's nothing songbird related in the repositories (or an unofficial one) It would be nice if this changed. I like songbird a great deal, and adding it to the repositories might give it a boost.

arrrghhh
May 3rd, 2008, 04:17 AM
sorry i didn't update my post. i got some help in IRC, i just deleted my profile. ~/.songbird1 i believe was the location. after this, songbird started up just fine but choked on my 35,000 song library. i'm not sure if it's because the music is on an NTFS drive or what but every music player in linux (even amarok with mysql) run REALLY slow with my library... i'll try out pre-0.6 cuz i heard they did some serious reworking, but i might just wait until 1.0.

muximus
May 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM
songbird is a really attractive player, and imho should be in the universe repos at least.. better than a lot of players that are there in the repos already..