View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] "Could not download the release notes" - Upgrading to 8.04

April 24th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I'm new to Ubuntu; I bought a Dell laptop with Gutsy pre-installed last week, and I'm trying to upgrade to 8.04.

When I click on "Upgrade" in the Update Manager, after a lot of waiting, it displays the message "Could not download the release notes, Please check your internet connection."

The first time I tried it, this came up, the second time, it seemed to be doing fine, before it stopped and said it failed due to something to do with files not being available (my knowledge of Ubuntu so far is very limited). Now, I just keep getting the message about release notes. My internet connection seems to be fine (I'm connected wirelessly), and I have no idea what to do.

April 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I guess that there are to many people that want to upgrade, too. Just wait a few days and than the rush should be over and you should be able to upgrade.

April 24th, 2008, 08:16 PM

That was a possibility I'd considered, but I wasn't sure if the results I was getting could have been linked to it.

April 25th, 2008, 12:58 AM
If you want to download quickly use torrents. I upgraded using torrents very quickly. I have listed the steps here: http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html