PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrade from 7.10 - 8.04

Matt26
April 24th, 2008, 07:36 PM
i am planning to perform the upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04 of ubuntu tonight and i was wondering if the upgrade has any impact/effect on any of the customization/settings setup in ubuntu including desktop, folder, system startup and personal settings. thanks.

vishzilla
April 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM
An upgrade via the update manager or an alternate CD wont affect your settings anyway. Its recommended to download the ISO torrent to reduce the load on the servers

Sef
April 24th, 2008, 07:46 PM
An upgrade via the update manager or an alternate CD wont affect your settings anyway. Its recommended to download the ISO torrent to reduce the load on the servers

1) An upgrade shouldn't affect your system, but it does at times.

2) The alternate cd will reformat your hard drive partition, you will lose all of your settings.

3) Back up your data before you do any upgrading or installing of Hardy.

ZeromusMog
April 24th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Having upgraded a few machines myself, it doesn't really mess with anything at all. It changed my desktop background, but that's it. I use the default though, so if you have a special one it might not do that.

My experiences with 8.04 have been mostly pleasant, although one computer kind of choked on the update for some reason and I ended up reinstalling it from scratch but there wasn't much there anyway so that didn't matter. It was probably something I did--just close all programs and let it do its thing during the install phase of the update :)

My laptop dropped its wifi settings though, which was kind of annoying but after hooking it in via ethernet cable it was just a matter of clicking the restricted drivers icon that showed up in notifications and getting the new firmware/drivers and it worked better than ever--better reception and everything! This is a godsend, as in previous versions I have spent hours trying to get it to work :)

ZeromusMog
April 24th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Oops double post!

Also Sef reminded me of one of the things I love about Linux and Ubuntu--back up your home directory and you're done, just make sure you get all the hidden .whatever directories. I hate hate hate that Windows spreads all your important files to the four winds and is impossible to back up.

kansasnoob
April 24th, 2008, 08:19 PM
My biggest "hiccup" doing the upgrade was forgetting about my Medibuntu repository. There is an updated repo for 8.04.

Once I straightened that out (changing Medibuntu repos and running sudo apt-get update and following instructions) all was fairly well.

I then did have to remove all Firefox .... ALL FIREFOX! Then I reinstalled all of the new Firefox 3 ..... just to get the new mouse button features to work, well and ABP works better too.

And readjusting my screen resolution, but that's always an issue for me because default screen res is unreadable for me ........... I'm almost blind. That's the #1 reason I love Ubuntu! They let me trash what should be for what really works for me!

I should add that I did one upgrade to the RC that trashed my custom GRUB settings (about 3 days ago), but I did another yesterday and the GRUB settings stayed perfect! I have no reason to download the release!

I have it. And it's sweet! It has been for at least 48 hours.

jmagsho
April 24th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Kansasnoob, what were the repository changes you needed for Medibuntu? I'm wondering if there was another post that I missed?

ptcbus
April 25th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I upgraded using torrents. There was no problem. I have listed teh steps here: http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html (http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html)

Endolith
April 25th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I upgraded using torrents. There was no problem. I have listed teh steps here: http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html (http://ptcbus.blogspot.com/2008/04/upgrading-from-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon.html)

Please include a step on how to mount the ISO instead of wasting a CD.