PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot upgrade to hardy via update-manager

philphil
April 24th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade to Hardy from Gutsy using update-manager. When I load update-manager I can see the link new distribution release '8.04 LTS' is available and when I click the "Upgrade" button next to that Update Manager goes grey after a few seconds and the loading mouse icon appears and nothing happens....can anyone help? Is there a way to upgrade via the terminal?

Cheers

vishzilla
April 24th, 2008, 07:38 PM
The servers will be busy next few days due to excess of traffic and downloading. You are probably better off downloading the torrent rather than a direct upgrade. You can download the alternate ISO to upgrade via the CD.
The below commands will upgrade you to 8.04 via the update manager

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Seisen
April 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade to Hardy from Gutsy using update-manager. When I load update-manager I can see the link new distribution release '8.04 LTS' is available and when I click the "Upgrade" button next to that Update Manager goes grey after a few seconds and the loading mouse icon appears and nothing happens....can anyone help? Is there a way to upgrade via the terminal?

Cheers

Try sudo update-manager from the terminal and post what it says.

philphil
April 24th, 2008, 08:42 PM
wow, thanks to both vishzilla and Seisen for your prompt responses

vishzilla: I ran sudo apt-get update and it completed without any errors and when I run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade:

phil@phil-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
[sudo] password for phil:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
phil@phil-laptop:~$

Strange no? Does it think I've already updated?

Seisen: running sudo update-manager:

phil@phil-laptop:~$ sudo update-manager

** (update-manager:9338): WARNING **: Irregular conf file line(1):
# this file contains quirks

# list prgname that need to be ignored below

#

** (update-manager:9338): WARNING **: Irregular conf file line(0):

warning: could not initiate dbus

Update manager then loads successfully....aha! and when I click upgrade it works!!! thanks, must have been a busy server or something earlier I guess?

psychofish25
April 24th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I believe you need to run those top two commands in order. The update command lists all the available updates, and the dist-upgrade command will upgrade ubuntu, or so I believe.

philphil
April 24th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I believe you need to run those top two commands in order. The update command lists all the available updates, and the dist-upgrade command will upgrade ubuntu, or so I believe.

yep, I did that...

bullring
April 24th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Try sudo update-manager from the terminal and post what it says.

here is what I get:

bullring@lappy:~$ sudo update-manager
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/update-manager", line 32, in <module>
from UpdateManager.UpdateManager import UpdateManager
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/UpdateManager/UpdateManager.py", line 51, in <module>
import subprocess
ValueError: bad marshal data
Error in sys.excepthook:
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/apport_python_hook.py", line 38, in apport_excepthook
from apport.fileutils import likely_packaged
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/apport/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
from apport.report import Report
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/apport/report.py", line 14, in <module>
import subprocess, tempfile, os.path, urllib, re, pwd, grp, os, sys

Original exception was:
File "/usr/bin/update-manager", line 32, in <module>
from UpdateManager.UpdateManager import UpdateManager
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/UpdateManager/UpdateManager.py", line 51, in <module>
import subprocess

any help you could provide would be great.

philphil
April 24th, 2008, 09:16 PM
ok I figure it's not working because of server trouble, I got somewhere earlier but now I'm back to the first problem I described in the original post. My money's on the servers being overloaded, we should all just relax...

Crafty Kisses
April 24th, 2008, 09:22 PM
ok I figure it's not working because of server trouble, I got somewhere earlier but now I'm back to the first problem I described in the original post. My money's on the servers being overloaded, we should all just relax...

Yes, I'm not going to start downloading Ubuntu 8.04 until tomorrow, I'd suggest you wait as well.

afilonov
April 24th, 2008, 09:29 PM
The servers will be busy next few days due to excess of traffic and downloading. You are probably better off downloading the torrent rather than a direct upgrade. You can download the alternate ISO to upgrade via the CD.

sudo apt-get update

You also need to change your distribution pointers (GUI update manager does it for you). So, the real sequence:

sudo apt-get update
nano /etc/apt/sources.txt (change all links by replacing gutsy with hardy)

afilonov
April 24th, 2008, 09:30 PM

sudo apt-get update

You also need to change your distribution pointers (GUI update manager does it for you). So, the real sequence:

sudo apt-get update
nano /etc/apt/sources.list (change all links by replacing gutsy with hardy)