PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting Busybox when trying to install

54lzy
April 24th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I'm trying to boot the Hardy live cd to install, but whenever I try, it shows the loading bar and then when it should be loaded it shows busybox. I thought it may have been my gfx card so i switched to the onboard which didn't help and I also disconnected my hd to see if it would just boot. Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance!

encompass
April 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM
You just burned the CD, have you "checked the CD for defects"... it's built into the CD. You may find an error there, which means it's a misburn. It would also be good to give us your system information and if you have run linux on this computer before.

matl1984
April 24th, 2008, 08:19 PM
see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765195 for my solution.

change "sata mode" in bios from "ahci" to "raid"

54lzy
April 25th, 2008, 12:10 AM
no defects and its just a compaq so i cant do that in bios its never ran linux before up until an hour or two ago i just installed Wubi. radeon x800 GTO 2 gigs of ram sata hard drive amd 3500+... any ideas? Thanks

54lzy
April 25th, 2008, 01:00 AM
bump, PLZ HaLP

dalesyk
April 26th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I'm trying to boot the Hardy live cd to install, but whenever I try, it shows the loading bar and then when it should be loaded it shows busybox. I thought it may have been my gfx card so i switched to the onboard which didn't help and I also disconnected my hd to see if it would just boot. Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance!

I'm seeing the same issue with both x32 and x64 8.04 desktop cd's. I verified my x64 cd (on another system) and it matches the md5 from kernel.org where I downloaded it. When either cd boots, I see the boot choices for 1 or 2 seconds and then a language dialog fills the screen and I see a 30sec timer count down to the left. I choose English, hit enter and then down arrow to install option and enter to launch. I get the knight rider progress bar and Ubuntu logo for a few seconds and then drop into a busybox shell (that shows initramfs prompt). I tried the verify cd option and get the same issue. I haven't played with bios settings, but this is an older amd 939 system that works fine with centos, knoppix, sme server, etc. If hardware info is needed, I can send lspci output from knoppix or anything else useful.

Thanks,
Dale

FYI - I noticed this bug as #222176 on bugs.launpad.net

rondackcpu
April 26th, 2008, 04:32 AM
Hi, folks,

I've had this busybox problem with all the downloads for the last 6 months. Somewhere I read that the solution is to press F6 for more options before accepting the offer to "try Ubuntu on your machine". Type in as a new option < irqpoll > and proceed with the "try" offer. I have no idea what this means or does, but it has been the only way I can boot any new downloads. (Without the < >, of course.)

Better luck with this thought!

CRS

tparker
April 26th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I'm trying to boot the Hardy live cd to install, but whenever I try, it shows the loading bar and then when it should be loaded it shows busybox.

If you have a floppy drive in the computer, put a blank floppy disk in it then try the install again. You won't have to do anything with the disk, just leave it in. I had this same error and a google search turned up someone with the floppy suggestion. If yours is the same problem it seems that something in the install really wants to find a floppy, maybe a throwback to the floppy boot disks everyone used to make as part of an new install, I don't' know, but this worked for me.

encompass
April 26th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Personally, at this point, I would search for and file a bug with ubuntu. No need for you to really look for a work around after this much effort. The only think I could see you do that you haven't is update your bios. Which I would do, and if that doesn't help, file the bug.