PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Odd loss of memory issue

Bomberman
April 24th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Hi,
New to Ubuntu/ Linux and impressed thus far :)
However I have an issue in that the BIOS on my laptop (Fujitsu Amilo-D) reports 640MB of RAM (I upgraded it some time ago). But the laptop seemed to be running Ubuntu nearly as slowly as windows so I thought I'd see why.
System monitor states I have 218.2MB of memory, whereas sudo lshw states one 256MB made of two blocks of 128MB with a capacity of 384MB :confused:
Any help?

swoll1980
April 24th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I know it's right in the bios so this seems useless, but just to make sure I would pull the memory and plug it back in see if anything changes

Sef
April 24th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Use the Live CD, on the list of what to do there is a check memory test (memtest86.) For more info, check the memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) site.

prshah
April 24th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Hi,
New to Ubuntu/ Linux and impressed thus far :)
However I have an issue in that the BIOS on my laptop (Fujitsu Amilo-D) reports 640MB of RAM (I upgraded it some time ago). But the laptop seemed to be running Ubuntu nearly as slowly as windows so I thought I'd see why.
System monitor states I have 218.2MB of memory, whereas sudo lshw states one 256MB made of two blocks of 128MB with a capacity of 384MB :confused:
Any help?

Open a terminal, (Applications-Accessories-Terminal) and post the output of the command
free -m

Bomberman
April 24th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Open a terminal, (Applications-Accessories-Terminal) and post the output of the command
free -m
free -m says;

bomberman@Bomberlap:~$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 218 214 3 0 1 62
-/+ buffers/cache: 150 68
Swap: 454 118 336

Will check the seating of the RAM after the quite a few hours the upgrade is going to take :)

The LiveCD ran abysmally (I assume due to this very issue), but I'll look at the memtest site.

jmagsho
April 24th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Memtest is the way to go - I used it to successfully identify a bad stick of ram. Another anomaly I encountered recently was with the BIOS not recognizing the ram properly. One more thing to try would be resetting your CMOS as per the manufacturer's recommended procedure. That did the trick for me.