PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Realplayer in Hardy

dede468
April 24th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Just upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04

Realplayer works fine for BBC radio progs in 7.10 but the upgrade killed the radio. I downloaded the 8.04RC package a couple of weeks ago and added Realplayer to it. Again it didn't work for BBC radio.

Is this a bug as all was OK until I upgraded. I've tried turning off the firewall and using Epiphany browser in case it was the upgrade to Firefox 3 but same results.

Any suggestions appreciated as I'm a BBC radio addict.

andrebrait
April 24th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I bet it's another Pulseaudio problem.

Try installing the package libsdl1.2debian-all

It will uninstall the libsdl1.2debian-alsa, but it comes with every plugin

If it don't work, try this...

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=pulse

OR

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa

It solved some audio problems for me...

dede468
April 24th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Well thanks for the ideas but sadly none of them worked for me. I think 8.04 will have to go on the back-burner until such time as this bug is sorted as living in Turkey, I use BBC streaming radio to keep me up to date on UK news etc every morning 8.04 without Realplayer is no contest for 7.10 with Realplayer I'm afraid! :(

andrebrait
April 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM
can't you use another player?

andrebrait
April 24th, 2008, 08:30 PM
or better...
are the sound devices configured correctly in System > Preferences > Sound?

madbouy
April 25th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I have the same problem too. It as working perfectly in 7.10 now I upgraded it sound garbled. Maybe it is Firefox but what ever it is. It sucks

harambe
April 25th, 2008, 02:38 PM
I installed 8.04 yesterday and when I play a BBC radio program it starts up Totem which does not work properly - never playes the whole program and does not allow me to move through a clip - this is what Totem has always done for .ram files which is why I used RealPlayer

For some reason though I just can't get FireFox to use realplayer - the settings in Applications tell it to, but it just won't.

lecter255
April 26th, 2008, 08:16 AM
ok i am in a worse situation

i downloaded realplayer in rpm and used alien to turn it into deb then installed it. now i try to run realplayer by clicking on the icon and selecting run and nothing happens. in 7.10, the player would show up. I really need realPlayer because I am a college student and I need to stream lectures with realPlayer

please help!

charles
April 29th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Had the same problems - gave Firefox 3Beta5 the flick and installed the latest available of Firefox 2x - problems disappeared ..

MangasColoradas
April 29th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Realplayer is working for me in 8.04, I am using FF2 and I removed the totem FF plugin, I have to use the 'stand alone realplayer' option but thats no hardship.
I used to use Mplayer but that didnt allow me to fast forward/rewind the audio stream when using 'listen again'.

nickzeff
May 17th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Can I make a humble suggestion to all of you?

Uninstall Realplayer and install the mozilla mplayer plugins instead - BBC radio player works perfectly with Hardy Heron/Firefox 3b5, and no dirty restricted software on your machine.

If you installed Realplayer using the downloaded bin file from real's site, you need to find their hidden uninstall script. Uninstall instructions on this thread at post #5:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=681778

My script wasn't exactly where the poster said it was, but I found it buried in my nominated Real install directory.

When you've done that, uninstall the Totem plugins. Just search for totem-mozilla in Synaptic and remove.

Now install the mplayer plugins by installing the package mozilla-mplayer.

You might need to do a restart of Firefox.

Now my BBC radio works, and it's all healthy, clean software!

Vic Morgan
May 23rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks nickzeff. In absence of RealPlayer, removing totem-mozilla and installing mozilla-mplayer worked perfectly for me!

gandaran
May 23rd, 2008, 10:20 PM
the best solution for bbc streaming is the totem plugin with the xine engine, just un-install totem gstreamer and install totem xine, with the xine engine you have the option on bbc to either stream real video or wmv, works a whole lot better than mplayer!

nickzeff
May 25th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks nickzeff. In absence of RealPlayer, removing totem-mozilla and installing mozilla-mplayer worked perfectly for me!
Glad to help. I might try gandaran's option now, just as an experiment!...

Elderlygent
May 27th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Can I make a humble suggestion to all of you?

Uninstall Realplayer and install the mozilla mplayer plugins instead - BBC radio player works perfectly with Hardy Heron/Firefox 3b5, and no dirty restricted software on your machine.

If you installed Realplayer using the downloaded bin file from real's site, you need to find their hidden uninstall script. Uninstall instructions on this thread at post #5:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=681778

My script wasn't exactly where the poster said it was, but I found it buried in my nominated Real install directory.

When you've done that, uninstall the Totem plugins. Just search for totem-mozilla in Synaptic and remove.

Now install the mplayer plugins by installing the package mozilla-mplayer.

You might need to do a restart of Firefox.

Now my BBC radio works, and it's all healthy, clean software!

The problem with being a purist is that it restricts choice. In fact, mplayer does NOT work as well as Real Player with BBC sites because they are designed for RealPlayer. Mplayer is slower and the feed frequently breaks up. My motto is "Accept no substitutes!" or, the operative word in Open Source is "Open". That said I love Ubuntu. Cheers

oneup
May 27th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Had the same problems - gave Firefox 3Beta5 the flick and installed the latest available of Firefox 2x - problems disappeared ..
Hi ,I have had the same probs with 8.04 and realplayer 11,does this mean its a Firefox problem?

datakid
June 14th, 2008, 04:22 AM
nickzeff's solution worked for me.

ssam
June 16th, 2008, 08:13 PM
the totem gstreamer pluggin can play bbc radio, you dont need realplayer.
the is a bug in the current hardy version that gives garbled sound https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/totem/+bug/217301 but the fix on its way to updates.

you can grab it early from:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/15055137/gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly_0.10.7-3ubuntu1_i386.deb
or for 64 bit
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/15055175/gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly_0.10.7-3ubuntu1_amd64.deb

if you try it please report on the bug report.

anthortic
June 23rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
i found mozilla-mplayer plugin did not work for me

i actually removed it using synaptic and in its place installed

mozilla-helix-player for using bbc radio

and
mozilla-plugin-vlc

to handle all other media in firefox. worked great for me but i share the pain of every other bbc radio addict that has trouble with this issue, it clearly needs to be addressed