PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is ubuntu-8.04-rc-desktop-i386.iso different to ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso

jjjaaammmeeesss
April 24th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Hi, just joined as I have recently downloaded the new ubuntu... Well I think I have.

Last night/peeking into this morn I thought that it had been released so I downloaded the file:

ubuntu-8.04-rc-desktop-i386.iso

From the ubuntu website, but have recently logged into the website and found a different version to download which is:

ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso

I've tried to do a bit of research on the RC and all I can find is that it is something to do with a CLI. So a bit confused, hence I came to the beginners section.

Any help and guidance would be handy as Iím going to be doing a tri-boot later, Might leave it till tomorrow thou.

eriqjaffe
April 24th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Yes, the "rc" one is the Release Candidate, not the final version.

The release candidate was replaced by the final version (sometimes referred to as the "LTS" version) today.

jjjaaammmeeesss
April 24th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Ah ok, Cheers.

Yep it's the wrong one trying to download it now, taking quite a while. I guess this is the worst time of day to try and download it.

Ah well cheers anyway.

vishzilla
April 24th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Well if you install the RC, you can follow whatever updates come by and you will have the final release

philinux
April 24th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Well if you install the RC, you can follow whatever updates come by and you will have the final release

Ok keep the new iso but all you need to do is this.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

and voila you have the final version no need to reinstall.

kansasnoob
April 24th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Vishzilla has it right.

I did however run into some glitches on one computer that I'd "upgraded" so I did a fresh install.

And I tossed one beta disc because it booted into a horrific screen resolution problem that was fixed less than a day later.

FredB
April 24th, 2008, 08:24 PM
There were around 120 updates made available between RC and final version.