PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Webserver and shoutcast hosting at home

mstakkeci
April 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Hi all! I am a new linux and ubuntu user. i just downloaded and installed ubuntu 8.04 to my computer. i am trying to get my laptop act as a web server and a radio host to which multiple dj's can connect via shoutcast dsp plugin in other operating systems.

I am a stranger to the command line and i dont even know many things about linux. I am a bit familiar with the GUI for i have seen it before a little bit.

I googled to have knowledge about what to do but everything is so complicated and i can't get a clue of what is going and cant follow the directions. and also i dont want to pay money while i have a laptop which i dont use.

if anybody can help me how to establish a linux server at home which many users can connect remotely, i'll be the most grateful. thanks again.

ZabiGG
May 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Hi there and thanks for your question...

Sorry it took so long. Posts pile up pretty fast in this section of the forum.

Are you still trying to solve this issue? If you have, we'd love to know the outcome.

If you still need help, I can help you find some, so just post back.

Thanks,

ZabiGG

mstakkeci
May 16th, 2008, 08:39 PM
yeah i still need some help.

if you can post any reply i will be grateful.

ZabiGG
May 16th, 2008, 08:46 PM
OK =o)

This link is not specific to Ubuntu, but you might get the info you need there.

http://www.hackosis.com/index.php/2007/09/29/how-to-linux-shoutcast-server/

If you do, please post back on the outcome so we can mark this case solved! ;)

Cheers,

mstakkeci
May 16th, 2008, 09:00 PM
to be more specific i am looking for this:

i have established a shoutcast radio(with a vps linux server(yeah i rent a one:D)) with several djs who connects to broadcast their own playlists at nights.

but i want the radio to broadcast a playlist on the day times while nobody connects to stream their own playlists. how can i do this?

ZabiGG
May 16th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Maybe the guys in the Multimedia Production section of the forum could provide more info. Did you try posting there also? Me, I'm stumped! lol

Cheers,

Z.

mstakkeci
May 16th, 2008, 09:17 PM
i also tried a post there bt i guess it has dissappeared in the depths of other problems:)

i am using a scheduled auto mouse macro to get winamp to connect to server and finish the broadcast in time when other djs' time to connect.( i am the admin believe it or not:D)

is there any other way to do it.

ZabiGG
May 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I sent a plea for help on the IRC channel... let's wait and see if it works, OK?

komputes
May 16th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Wow, this thread is exploding so I thought I'd put my request in. I AM a DJ who wants an application (that work unlike IDJC) to be able to stream to shoutcast servers. What do you guys recommend?

StephenF
May 17th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Wow, this thread is exploding so I thought I'd put my request in. I AM a DJ who wants an application (that work unlike IDJC) to be able to stream to shoutcast servers. What do you guys recommend?
Are you saying IDJC doesn't work for you or are you saying you require different functionality?

komputes
May 20th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Both actually, it's badly packaged and doesn't work well. As well (talking about features) it has nothing on the usability of Sam Broadcaster.