PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Flash player instalation

jus71n742
April 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM
ok my girl friend has Ubuntu now and I am trying to get her flash player plug ins to work ....apparently I have the install files on her machine but I can't figure out how to run the install file. or any ideas on how to get it through a terminal would be more beneficial in my mind.

Ub1476
April 24th, 2008, 05:26 PM
To install flash, simply search for it in the package-manager (add/remove or Synaptic). I suggest you install "ubuntu-restricted-extras" though, because this package has flash, java, codecs and a few extra fonts like the ms-tff fonts, which is needed to display some webpages correctly.

mikewhatever
April 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM
<sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree> should get Adobe flash installed.

swoll1980
April 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM
easiest way is to open synaptics package manager (system > adminastration > synaptics
click the search button in the search box enter ubuntu restricted extras this will give you all the things you need for audio and video

chameleonkid
April 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I believe it can also be installed "automatically" by just by going to a website that has flash in it and installing it "through" the browser. But don't quote me on that.

aysiu
April 24th, 2008, 05:51 PM
If you're still using Ubuntu 7.10 (and not 8.04), the safest way to install it is manually:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/flashmanual

jus71n742
April 24th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I believe it can also be installed "automatically" by just by going to a website that has flash in it and installing it "through" the browser. But don't quote me on that.

that is what I tried...it just gave me the installer...nothing else would be done.

billgoldberg
April 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM
that is what I tried...it just gave me the installer...nothing else would be done.

Restricted extra's will install it for you.

Did it work?

jus71n742
December 15th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Yes ...the command
sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree did the job quite well.

I have learned that command line is the best way to do virtually everything with anything lol.