PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Moving From Dark Side To Ubuntu, What Do I need?...

Foghornleghorn
April 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I've been a Windows XP user for years,but would like to move over to Linux.Heard great things about Ubuntu and i think now is the right time to switch.
How difficult is't to have Ubuntu running alongside Windows xp?
With this version do i need to Partition my Harddrive for the installation of Ubuntu?
Remember i'm a complete Noob to Ubuntu so please try to make your replies as simple as possible.
Thanks very much.
regards,
Foghornheglorn.

overdrank
April 24th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I've been a Windows XP user for years,but would like to move over to Linux.Heard great things about Ubuntu and i think now is the right time to switch.
With this version do i need to Partition my Harddrive for the installation of Ubuntu?
Remember i'm a complete Noob to Ubuntu so please try to make your replies as simple as possible.
Thanks very much.
regards,
Foghornheglorn.

Hi and welcome, here is a good link to get you started
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

indytim
April 24th, 2008, 05:24 PM
To keep it short and (hopefully) sweet..

1. Yes you can co-exist with a variation of Windows. Users do it all of the time. In fact it is recommended for new users just starting out.
2. You do not necessarily have to pre-partition before installing Linux. My personal preference is to do it as it reduces the likelihood of oh my gosh... what did I just do to my entire h/d.

You will finds loads of resources within the forums and the WIKIs. Try doing simple searches by topic before posting.

Hopefully we'll see you from your new Linux installation soon.

IndyTim

mikewhatever

-- With a little patience and determination, it should be quite easy. That said, keep your mind open and expectations low. Try it from the Live CD first.

-- Yes. In this respect, Hardy is no different from the rest.

One more thing, keep it simple psychologically, don't think you're on a crusade against eternal evil or similar.

swoll1980
first you will need to defrag your hard drive. The Ubuntu cd by default will split your
hard drive in half and set up the dual boot for you all you have to do is anwser a few questions

philinux
April 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM
There are two ways to go

1. Get the live cd boot it and have a play around. Installing can be tricky so you need to do some reading of the links given by others.

2. Wubi is a program than can install ubuntu within windows like any other windows program and then be removed using windows add/remove. http://wubi-installer.org/

Have fun whatever you choose.

cykotiktek
April 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM
The one thing that has saved my bacon is just having a notebook by my desk and i just tack notes down on my commands that i use in the terminal. This way when i blow up my desktop i know the reconfigure command without having to hop onto a different computer to fix it.

Foghornleghorn
April 24th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks Everyone for the replies so far...
I've about 7 partitions on my PC,with enough space on the Windows XP install partition. I use O&O defrag for all my defrags and also Norton Ghost.Should i Ghost my system before an attempt of Ubuntu install?

miesnerd
April 24th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Congratulations.
Its not difficult at all to run windows xp alongside ubuntu. Its commonly referred to as "dualbooting" and Ubunt 8.04 includes a program called Wubi on it that makes this easy. Also, you might want to just start the computer off the cd (using it as a "live cd" to look around first). I havent seen any guides (yet, since 8.04 was officially released today) on 8.04 but I installed it and its the same process as installing Ubuntu 7.10.

Before you fully switch over to Linux though, I would advise taking inventory of the programs that you "need" on Windows and make sure there's a linux counterpart that you're satisfied with. Of course, with dual booting this isnt a problem, but it seems like many people dual boot as a safety net before just switching over completely.

The partitioning of the hard drive is taken care of by the installer.
Here's a quick run down of what you have to do:
go here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

and download the file. It'll save as a .iso file. You'll need to find a way to burn that to a cd.

I like express burn on windows, when I have the misfortune of using that crap:
http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/?page_id=5
Note that step 4 of 7 is what you are concerned with when dual booting.

Let us know if you have any questions. The ubuntu community is great at answering questions. And congratulations, of course!

Note that just using windows lame built in utility will not work because that OS is a piece of crap. (Side note: I am convinced that OS purposefully tries to hold people back).

Once you have your cd burned, it'll automatically eject and you can just close the tray so its putting the cd back into the drive.

Now you have two options:
Install linux (for real) or install Wubi, which is a nice way to try out ubuntu. Wubi is installed in Windows, and you can uninistall it that way too, whereas installing Ubuntu seperate from this physically partitions your drive.

here's a review of wubi:
http://jon-reagan.blogspot.com/2007/07/wubi-review.html

and a little more info with screenshots:
http://blog.mypapit.net/2008/04/wubi-install-ubuntu-linux-in-windows-partition.html

I thought installing 8.04 was incredibly similar to 7.10. Therefore, I have linked you to a guide on how to install 7.10:
http://howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon

The Cog
April 24th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks Everyone for the replies so far...
I've about 7 partitions on my PC,with enough space on the Windows XP install partition. I use O&O defrag for all my defrags and also Norton Ghost.Should i Ghost my system before an attempt of Ubuntu install?

Back up everything. Nasty accidents are unlikely but possible. It's best to play safe, and we don't want you going round telling everyone how Ubuntu trashed your PC. Apart from which, you should have a backup anyway, in case of a hardware failure - I learned that one the hard way.

Foghornleghorn
April 24th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks again...i've downloaded the latest version and will try installing over the weekend.I'm currently doing a project of converting all my Vinyl to Mp3 (Music Junkie). I have over 900 albums plus Hundreds of 7" and 12" (not forgetting cassettes). Are there any programs equivalent to Nero on Ubuntu?.
Prior to the latest release i've tried to familiarize myself with all the jargon by sourcing info form the net. Just hoping that it's easy to learn...would really like it to be my No1 operating system.

Foghornleghorn.

miesnerd
April 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM
As far as buners go, yeah.
My personal favorite is k3b, but to each their own. Ubuntu has a burner called brasero built in. Actually, i think its on the live cd. Dont kick yourself too hard for wasting money in the past on software-- its okay-- lots of us did it.

philinux
April 24th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks again...i've downloaded the latest version and will try installing over the weekend.I'm currently doing a project of converting all my Vinyl to Mp3 (Music Junkie). I have over 900 albums plus Hundreds of 7" and 12" (not forgetting cassettes). Are there any programs equivalent to Nero on Ubuntu?.
Prior to the latest release i've tried to familiarize myself with all the jargon by sourcing info form the net. Just hoping that it's easy to learn...would really like it to be my No1 operating system.

Foghornleghorn.

K3b is an excellent cd burner. Others will have their favourite.

[edit] There's audacity and gramofile both can convert vinyl to wav etc.

brownknight
April 24th, 2008, 06:09 PM
miesnerd. very thorough. +1

dasunsrule32
April 24th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks very much.
regards,
Foghornheglorn.

Welcome aboard! I have been using Ubuntu now for just over 6 months. I have used many distros, but have found Ubuntu to have the best community, and that is where it counts with any Linux distro for anyone not experienced with Linux.

Things you need:

1. Backup your data if possible, more than likely you will not have any issues.

2. Download the hardy heron .iso: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu Select the 'Desktop' edition if you are using your PC for home use.

3. Download infrarecorder from: http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net/?page_id=5. Now take the .iso file you downloaded and burn it to a CD-R.

4. After you have the disk burned and your data backed up, plop the CD into your CD drive. You will have a couple of options here:

a. You can select 'WUBI' and install it in Windows, but will have reduced functionality with graphics and speed. The advantage of this way; however, is that you will be able to uninstall Ubuntu, if for whatever reason you decide you don't like or need Ubuntu. It installs like a normal program in Windows.
b. You can restart your PC, make sure that you have your BIOS set to boot off of CD, or manually select to boot off of CD if given the option. Select to Boot to the Live CD. Once running on the Ubuntu desktop, double-click the install icon on the desktop.

5. Install the system, select you region, time, keyboard options, then partition option, make sure to select the 'guided' option, unless you know what you are doing with partitions. You can royally mess your system up. The guided option will setup your 'GRUB' bootloader and place Ubuntu and Windows XP on your menu options to select to boot to. Pick your User Name and password and go!

6. Once installed, boot into Ubuntu, and run System Tools -> Administration -> Update Manager, enter your password and update your system.

7. Beyond that, enjoy Ubuntu and the community! Explore the software and the customizability of Ubuntu. Always ask if you don't know. Goodluck and welcome!

:KS