PDA

View Full Version : [other] upgrading from Gutsy to Hardy with Fluxbuntu

rockerphil
April 24th, 2008, 04:17 PM
ok, here's the deal, i've been running Fluxbuntu 7.1 Gutsy Gibson on my old Dell Dimension desktop that's pretty well a dinosaur as far as machines go. here's my problem, i'm wanting to update from Gutsy to Hardy, but i have no CD burner and Fluxbuntu doesn't come with the Update Manager installed. so is there any way i can do this from the terminal? any help would be much appreciated

swoll1980
April 24th, 2008, 04:29 PM
If you have to computers you can use a network boot and do it that way
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Network-boot-HOWTO/index.html

rockerphil
April 24th, 2008, 04:34 PM
nope, only one computer. is there any way i can possibly run an upgrade from my command prompt?

swoll1980
April 24th, 2008, 04:40 PM
if you had an update manager you could. Is fluxbuntu the same as ubuntu, but with a different window manager? an upgrade might not even be possable. If there not the same under the hood

rockerphil
April 24th, 2008, 04:52 PM
yea, same OS under the hood, just using Fluxbox as my WM and ROX as my filer, just no upgrade manager (at least not that i can find)

hums07
April 24th, 2008, 04:59 PM
yea, same OS under the hood, just using Fluxbox as my WM and ROX as my filer, just no upgrade manager (at least not that i can find)

Just try this:

sudo apt-get install update-manager

You may need to edit your /etc/apt/sources.list. Check it.

andrewsomething
April 24th, 2008, 10:19 PM
"sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" should do it, but update manager smooths over some of the rougher transitions durring upgrade. I'd go ahead and install it. If it pulls down too many un wanted dependencies, you can always uninstall after the upgrade.