PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] UbuntuStudio vs. Ubuntu

painaxl
April 24th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Ok, I feel like an idiot, but...

The only difference between Ubuntu and UbuntuStudio is the software and themes that come packed in, correct? If I choose to install plain ol' Ubuntu 8.04, I can choose to install the UbuntuStudio programs as a package later, right? Is there a benefit to doing this?

Also, if I was planning on installing both (a fresh install of Ubuntu and all the programs from the UbuntuStudio package), should I plan on making my root partition a little bigger?

Periswell
April 24th, 2008, 03:33 PM
your absolutely right. get ubuntu hardy then gust download the studio themes (could get it from www.gnome-look.org ) and the programs which work fine in ubuntu.

-josh

Periswell
April 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM
when i said absolutely right i ment ubuntu studios being just like ubuntu not you being an idiot.

-josh

Scheater5
April 24th, 2008, 03:35 PM
You can install the ubuntu studio as a package (I think it's ubuntustudio-desktop, and then there are a series of optional packages for audio, video and visual arts programs). In fact, it's how the ubuntu studio team recommends you install ubuntu studio if you don't have a dvd burner - install ubuntu server, and then ubuntu studio. Ubuntu studio, if you install all three optional packages, can get pretty big, so you'll need an abnormally large root partition, but only be a couple of GBs. If you've had a couple of Gigs spare in the past, then you should be fine.

qamelian
April 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM
@painaxl: The Ubuntu repos contain metapackages that will allow you to install some or all of Ubuntustudio on top of you original Ubuntu installation. One benefit of this might be that if you only want the audio tools from Ubuntustudio, you can just install ubuntustudio-audio and maybe the Ubuntustudio audio palugins metapackage to get what you want with out needing to install the graphics and video editing elements.

painaxl
April 24th, 2008, 03:47 PM
@periswell: Thanks, I needed that :)

@scheater5 et al.:

What would be a good root partition size to give me space for a full install of Ubuntu, the audio elements of UbuntuStudio and any programs I could need? I'm planning on making a separate home partition and am trying to figure out how much to plan for the root. I was thinking 20 gigs?

Thanks again.

MetalMusicAddict
April 25th, 2008, 01:22 AM
This is not all entirely true. Studio also sets things that will make it a bit easier for production apps. If you just install packages you won't get all of them.

Studio also uses a -rt kernel whereas Ubuntu uses -generic. Might seem not to different but people in-the-know understand this importance.

Ever release of Studio departs a little more from mainline Ubuntu.

Best way to see the difference is to do a clean install.

oni5115
April 25th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I'm not too sure about Ubuntu Studio's size requirements, but plain Ubuntu takes about 3-4 Gb depending on installed apps, mine is currently at 3.73 Gb. I gave it 10 Gb to be on the safe side, since I do / and /home paritions.

I'd guess 10 Gb should be plenty, but I haven't used Ubuntu Studio either. Just haven't seen an ubuntu install go over 4-5 Gb. I am interested in knowing if that is enough though, in case I ever decide to mess with it.

Scheater5
April 28th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I'd concur with oni5115. 10 gigs should be good. That should be plenty for vanilla Ubuntu plus the Ubuntustudio metas, and a bit for anything additional you'd want to add.