PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Need more help with wireless

lakelovers
April 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM
About four weeks ago I asked for help with my wife's dell wireless connection. I got good direction but still have one hiccup. When the computer is shutdown and reopened, the wireless connection is not found and I have to activate ndiswrapper. That is a big nuisance. How can I get ndiswrapper to load on startup? Is there a start up script? Here's the thread addressing all the ndiswrapper info:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=735485

twright
April 24th, 2008, 03:34 PM
all you need to do is type this in terminal

sudo -i
echo ndiswrapper >> /etc/modules

lakelovers
April 24th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks twright. . . but it didn't work, and I'm quite sure I entered the code correctly. I would appreciate more suggestions.

Edit
Well, obviously, I didn't enter the code correctly the first time. I tried it again and it worked perfectly. Thanks, so much.

prshah
April 24th, 2008, 08:41 PM
can I get ndiswrapper to load on startup? Is there a start up script? Here's the thread addressing all the ndiswrapper info:

Either add the word "ndiswrapper" to your "/etc/modules" file, or add the phrase "modprobe ndiswrapper" to your "/etc/rc.local" file as the last but one line. (The last line _must_ be "exit 0" or you will never be able to log in.)

btw, you need to be "sudo" to access either file; eg.
gksudo gedit /etc/modules
gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local

assuming you are using gnome ubuntu.